bjor0335

• Posted Psychology: From Inquiry to Understanding to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    It's hard to pick one concept from psych that I believe will stick with me in 5 years. I find all the theories, ideas, terminology we've learned in Psych 1001 intertwine in some way. What I have come to...
  • Commented on I remember the concept in psychology----human development
    Development is a very interesting subject because of the focus on babies and children. We don't remember things from that long ago so it is hard to believe research that studies infants. We heavily rely on education and strong childhood...
  • Commented on Short Story: A Character Analysis
    I think the Big Five does a good job of helping us identify our strengths and weaknesses of personality. By being aware of what categories we're strong and weak in we can help better understand ourselves and the world around...
  • Commented on What's Love Got To Do With It?
    I think this section and what we learned on attachment theory can extremely help us when it comes to relationships. Once we establish what attachment style our potential partners or relationships are it can help us form strong connections around...
  • Commented on Psychological Fact vs. Fiction
    These principles of thinking can be used in everyday life too! I have learned to use scientific thinking to my advantage as a way to analyse what is legit from what is not in situations I encounter everyday. Especially when...
  • Commented on A Beautiful Mind
    I like your connection of psychological disease and film. The media has a way to turn many psychological disorders into good entertainment. Like John Nash I feel that people with a not so severe case of schizophrenia can survive in...
  • Commented on Do You Have What It Takes to Be Dr. Cal Lightman?
    The psychological concepts the media inaccurately incorporates in their shows make for exceptionally good television. Who wouldn't want to know when people are lying, read minds, or control thoughts? Although, these would make extremely helpful skills it would also take...
  • Commented on Why I can't remember what I learned last semester!!???
    Most people think that they can't remember a lot because they have a terrible "short term memory." When in reality everything we try to retain has to do with long-term memory. Recalling information from our LTM seems to be the...
  • Commented on Useful Future Parent Tips that will Impact your entire Child's Life
    I find Baumrind’s three major parenting styles one of the major things I will take with me in the future also. Psychology has a way of putting ideas into words which helps me to understand better. Before taking psych I...
  • Commented on My Little Cousin Colin
    I believe we can learn a lot simply from observing our younger siblings, cousins, and other children. Chapter 10 really allowed us students to observe them from different perspectives. I think this because we were the ones that had been...
  • Commented on Listen to Music; Create a Genius
    I think the fact that businesses create something on the basis of scientific claims is a red flag in itself. By taking this Psychology course I feel more aware of how much these claims DON'T make sense. Should I believe...
  • Commented on True life: Daddy Day Care
    This makes me wonder how much gender plays a role in which parents we chose to spend our time with. The stereotypes of "Mama's Boy" and "Daddy's Girl" come to mind. My idea behind why some choose the father over...
  • Commented on Can a Pai ban be reached in different cultures?
    We live in probably one of the speediest countries out there. Our ability to make quick decisions has resulted in negative things our country has gone through. I believe that cultural influences are a huge part in how our government...
  • Commented on Just how much do divorces impact our children?
    The fact that it's considered to be a minority to have your parents still together is frightening. It poses much thought for the future. How will future generations look in the statistics of marriage? Will the numbers of divorce continue...
  • Commented on Alzheimer's Disease: Mystery Still Remains
    This disease is so heartbreaking due to the fact of how little there is to help it, and how vulnerable old people are to it. In general memory fades as we get older. As seen with this disease it affects...
  • Commented on The Addiction Solution
    Substituting safer drugs that eliminate cravings and the fluctuations in the neurotransmitters helps the addict function better. This lets them develop healthy behaviors that allows them to approach dealing with the addiction differently. Once these behaviors become their habits the...
  • Commented on The Addiction Solution
    To an extent there is a way to measure the possibility of someone becoming an addict but by no means can they be diagnosed that they will have an addiction. We all have slight imbalances, but those that are more...
  • Commented on The Addiction Solution
    Yes, I believe this is the case for there are many people in this world who have overcome their addictions. The main point here being that an addiction, like diabetes, relates to specific neurotransmitter imbalances that will signal a wanting...
  • Posted The Addiction Solution to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    Drugs and its role in brain chemistry have helped science better understand why they produce certain behaviors, and recently, the treatment for addiction. "The Addiction Solution" by David Kipper and Steven Whitney explain the true origin of addition and...
  • Commented on I Remember It Like It Was Yesterday
    I agree that flashbulb memories provide us with enough accuracy to sustain an influential memory. I can remember what grade I was in when September 11th happened. These things don't even seem so long ago because of the big impact...
  • Commented on Disney's Incorrect Slogan
    I like your concluding sentence about conscious dreams. Dreaming is a very interesting topic to explore. Although scientists still haven't figured why we have dreams, what discoveries have been found are extremely thought-provoking. Regardless of what my dreams do consist...
  • Commented on Pseudoscience: The Easy Trap of Mankind
    I believe we have our natural tendencies for a reason. It's just a different way of thinking. Certain things in this world are so open ended that it seems pointless to try and pinpoint an explanation or conclusion. There can't...
  • Commented on Is Crime Really in the Genes?
    I agree with the comment about the addiction gene being stimulated by the environment. If a member of this family, or anyone for that matter isn't exposed to alcohol there is no basis to create an addiction. I see genes...
  • Posted Stem Cell Research Debates--when does life begin? to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    What can a specialized cell do for all of mankind? Scientists are continually finding answers to this question. Stem cells have acquired much attention for their potential to become a wide variety of specialized cells. These replacement cells can be...
  • Posted Chapter 9 to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    Are older siblings wiser? Does schooling make us smarter? Can you boost your IQ 200 points in a matter of days? All these questions and more are answered in Chapter 9: Intelligence and IQ testing. Analyzing the controversy and consensus...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from bjor0335