woogx006

• Commented on Do You Have What It Takes to Be Dr. Cal Lightman?
    This is a very interesting blog post. I think it is quite possible to determine if a person is lying based on facial features. However, this may not be reliable all the time. For example, a person may know what...
  • Commented on Stranger Anxiety
    This is a very interesting post. I think that perhaps because it was the first day of college, a lot of people might have been shy or nervous about meeting new people. The fact that the behavior continued might suggest...
  • Commented on Every-Body is Beautiful
    This is a very interesting analysis. I like all the examples you used to illustrate your point. I think every culture has its own definition and characteristics of beauty. It would be interesting to see if one culture found beauty...
  • Commented on Guilty? The Truth Behind the Polygraph Test
    This is a very thoughtful post. I definitely agree that the polygraph can yield many false positives. I think that people will be nervous when taking a polygraph test whether or not they are actually lying. This can lead to...
  • Commented on " I would be happy if I were skinny"
    You raise some excellent points in this post. I definitely agree that parental warmth has a huge impact on a child's self-esteem and greatly helps them during their teenage years. I also think that it is important for the child...
  • Commented on Fact or Fiction? The Midlife Crisis
    I think a midlife crisis does exist but may be a term describing a wide variety of single periods of anxiety during an adult's lifetime. While I definitely agree that there needs to be more evidence and replicability, this is...
  • Commented on Equal or not?
    This is a very good analysis. I also like how you actually performed the experiment versus talking about past performances done by other people. I think you are right in saying children understand conservation at around 6-7 years of age....
  • Commented on A Problem Solving Society
    Problem solving is definitely one of life's essentials. One area I am particularly interested in that you touched on involving alternative solutions is functional fixedness. It can be so easy to get caught up in the idea that an object...
  • Commented on Kholberg's stages of moral development
    This is an excellent analysis of Kohlberg's stages of moral development. I also definitely agree with the progression of stages and try to live my life using this model. The possible shortcomings you mentioned are definitely noteworthy and must be...
    This is an excellent analysis of Kohlberg's stages of moral development. I also definitely agree with its progression of the three stages and try to live my life using this model. The shortcomings you mentioned are definitely noteworthy and must...
  • Commented on Professional Sports and The Pressure of Social Facilitation
    I think I would be very nervous when I first step onto the field/rink/court with thousands of fans watching me and my teammates. I think the main thing to keep in mind is it's a game and you're out there...
  • Posted The Big Five: To be continued... to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    In five years, I think one aspect of psychology that I will utilize in my daily life is the Big Five. Ever since we learned about the Big Five earlier this semester, I have been using it to analyze several...
  • Commented on The Bystander Effect: Why Do We Stand By?
    I agree with this post and comment. The bystander effect can definitely result in tragedy. I think the reasons listed above for why the bystander effect occurs are definitely true but I would like to propose another one. I think...
  • Commented on Conforming to Society
    This is an excellent explanation of a very interesting phenomenon. Another concept that intertwines closely with conformity is groupthink: an emphasis on group unanimity at the expense of critical thinking. In this phenomenon, nobody wants to be the dissenter even...
  • Posted Obi-Wan Kenobi: A "Force"ful Personality to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    As a truly dynamic character in the Star Wars book and movie universe, Obi-Wan Kenobi exhibits all components of the Big Five. In regard to conscientiousness, Obi-wan was always very careful when on dangerous missions. He also took pains to...
  • Commented on IQ and that Pesky Correlation VS Causation
    I think this is an excellent analysis. Given the nature of politics, it seems important that politicians and leaders be able to identify with and connect to their constituents on a personal level. We have seen examples in the current...
  • Commented on "What is Beautiful is Good"
    This is an excellent observation. I was recently in another part of the country and saw several billboards advertising a similar chain of restaurants (I’m not sure if it’s the same restaurant you mentioned). The attractiveness of the waitresses is...
  • Commented on Expectations
    This is a very perceptive analysis. Movies with love story components often seem to demonstrate some of the psychological principles of attraction that we read about and discussed in class. Another interesting example of these principles of attraction in movies...
  • Commented on Be aware of your surroundings
    I think that humans and animals probably share comprable levels of consciousness. I agree that humans have put themselves above animals but I think that humans still have many animal traits and instincts. I believe any organism needs to be...
  • Commented on Our memories...
    False memory is a very interesting concept. When I was reading the Paul Ingram case, I couldn't believe what was happening as the case progressed. Paul was convinced by others to conjure up memories of events that never happened and...
  • Commented on Not one, but two?
    Cryptophasia seems like a very interesting phenomenon. It is fascinating how the similarity between twins can be so finite that it includes the same phonological errors. Would having their own language be something twins will continue to use after learning...
  • Commented on Instinctive Drift!
    I think this is a very interesting topic. There has been a lot of support for the view that humans or animals can be conditioned or trained to do almost anything, and I think instinctive drift serves as a nice...
  • Commented on Alzheimer's Disease: Mystery Still Remains
    I agree in that to whatever extent possible, prevention is the key to avoiding diseases such as this. Whatever steps can be done to lead a healthy lifestyle should be taken and kept up with throughout the years. I believe...
  • Commented on I Remember It Like It Was Yesterday
    Flashbulb memory is a very interesting topic. I think we are probably more likely to remember more details about a tragic or traumatic event such as a terrorist attack versus a more neutral event such as a presidential election. The...
  • Commented on What are the Advertising Doing to Viewers?
    I agree with a lot of points mentioned above. I think one of the main, if not the main tactic of advertisers is to get us to have the idea that we will feel great using the prodduct, whatever it...
  • Commented on Linguistic Relativity
    I can definitely agree with your example of gender being present in foreign languages. I have taken Spanish for five years and am constantly aware of masculine and feminine words. I didn't know that there had been studies done to...
  • Commented on Behaviorism: "Animal Man" Makes Baby Cry
    I think you do a great job explaining behaviorism and use good images to help visually convey this topic. In addition to the images, the examples you describe add even more to your explanation. I find it very interesting that...
  • Posted Multilingualism to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    Polyglots are people who are able to speak multiple languages with a high degree of proficiency. Within the category of polyglot are people who are bilingual, trilingual, and multilingual. There even exist hyperpolyglots, people who can speak six or...
  • Commented on Is Crime Really in the Genes?
    I believe that in cases such as these, where there is no exact known gene responsible for situations such as growing up to be criminals, nurture plays a larger role than nature. The environment most likely has a greater influence...
  • Commented on The Power of Suggestion
    Hypnosis is a very interesting subject. I have never personally been hypnotized but I can definitely see how hypnosis can be helpful or harmful. It could be very beneficial if it works, but if it doesn't, it could potentially backfire...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from woogx006