steed016

• Posted Sleep Tight to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    A concept of psychology that I will most likely remember in 5 years is sleep and dreaming. To me, sleep is a strange thing to think about. We are alive, but not fully conscious of what's going on. I find...
  • Posted Is the IAT test biased? to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    I decided to take the Implicit Associations Test (IAT) for this blog entry. I took two tests, one on weight, and one on gender and career. The one on weight was supposed to determine whether I had a preference towards...
  • Commented on IQ: Is it the genes or the scenes?
    I also think that IQ dropping during the summer break is interesting. I lived near a school that was an all year school and always wondered what it would be like to go there. I don't think it would be...
  • Commented on Eating Disorders
    The questions you asked I'm also curious about but I think it all depends on the circumstances and each individual person. My mom struggled with anorexia when she was in college but she was a ballet dancer and was pressured...
  • Commented on Pros and Cons for being bilingual
    I also as a young child learned multiple languages. I am from an English speaking family, and when I went to kindergarten, I was put into a Spanish immersion program. I learned everything in Spanish from kindergarten through 2nd grade,...
  • Commented on Selectivity of early memories
    I also have memories of my childhood that I would have not remembered if it weren't for my family or pictures. I have always wondered if our photo albums were destroyed, would I have the same memories of my childhood...
  • Commented on A Whale of a Tale!
    These shows are always fun and it's good to know that they use the operant conditioning techniques to get them to preform. I always wondered how they trained them, but I had never actually given it much thought. This makes...
  • Commented on Are you still there?
    I think that just knowing that people in a vegetative state might be conscious is kind of scary. I cannot imagine how horrifying it would be to be able to listen to my family talk about what they are going...
  • Posted The Truth Behind 50 First Dates to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    My favorite movie of all time is definitely 50 First Dates. I'm not quite sure why I like it so much, but it has always been interesting to me. In the movie, the main character Lucy, played by Drew Barrymore,...
  • Commented on Still Amazed
    I think this artist is very talented. I still don't understand how he can create such realistic images without standing in the place where it looks realistic. I have seen these images from other views, where everything seems distorted and...
  • Commented on Vegetable Tennis: Not as Great as it Sounds.
    I also agree that if there if brain activity in the area they are asked to imagine, that it is being consciously aware. Even though they are not able to act it out, they can still think about it and...
  • Commented on A subconscious nowhere: The mystery of what's happening in our brains during sleep.
    I have always been interested in sleep and our consciousness. I have been told that I talk in my sleep and even have conversations, but don't remember them in the morning. From what you wrote, maybe the broca's area is...
  • Commented on Mosquito Ringtone
    I've heard of people using this in class but have never heard anyone in my classes using it. That always makes me wonder whether I can hear it or not, but I did the test you posted and found I...
  • Commented on Mirror Mirror On The Wall
    This is interesting because I have never really thought about how we were once unaware of ourselves. Your thought at the end is also interesting. I wonder if they have a different awareness as well....
  • Commented on Nature vs. Nurture Debate
    I have also wondered if nature has more of a part of who we become than I originally thought when thinking about how a lot of people grow up to be like their parents. Most people around the teen years...
  • Commented on The Streetlight Interference--Are you a SLIder?
    My mom always talks about this happening to her, and it has happened to me a few times before. It's interesting that you have connected it with apophenia because there's not really a way to study if it happens when...
  • Commented on When We Can't Hear
    I am not much of an iPod listener, but I have always wondered how people who frequently go to concerts can still hear. I have been to a few concerts with very loud music and find myself with difficulty hearing...
  • Commented on Because your mother said so.
    I've always not followed the 8 glasses a day rule for the same reason that you said, "I never paid any mind because I assumed that I only needed to drink when I got thirsty since that's a pretty good...
  • Commented on Chapter 4: Sensation and Perception
    It seems funny how our senses can trick our brain into thinking things are different. I am excited to get to this chapter to test these optical illusions!...
  • Commented on OCD-Feeling Confined
    I agree with you that 'OCD' is overused in everyday conversations. After watching a documentary on it a few years back, I realized how serious it actually is for people living with it. It's not just something that someone does...
  • Commented on How the Human Memory Operates
    Rehearsal definitely helps my memory. Also, I thought it was interesting that in chapter 16, it talks about how we believe that we repress bad memories, but in reality, we hold on to our traumatic memories. I thought that was...
  • Commented on Can monkeys speak through the same sign language used by humans?
    It is interesting how even though apes cannot speak through their vocal chords, they can still communicate with us through sign language. I watched the youtube video you posted and also watched one where Koko reacts to a sad movie....
  • Posted Strange Psychotherapies and why they "work". (Chapter 16) to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    Chapter 16 of Psychology: From Inquiry to Understanding deals with psychotherapy and biological treatments. The authors describe who gets and benefits from psychotherapy along with what psychologists do in their therapy sessions that are effective. One section of the book...
  • Commented on Blog 1, Chapter 14
    I have always been curious about twin studies. It's interesting that genetics plays a bigger role than the environmental impact does. I wonder if there are any cases of identical twins that grew up and were completely different....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from steed016

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page