zimme558

• Commented on Bias in Today's World
    This is a really good point. I have only recently learned to try to avoid the confirmation bias. As a history major, I have come to accept that there are 2 sides to every story, and they are usually both...
  • Commented on Think right and think free
    This is a great point. When I was in high school, I used to think that I was a freethinker, but then I realized I was just swallowing whatever information was being fed to me. It wasn't until college that...
  • Commented on 5 years from now
    Yes, I also think operant conditioning will be important to remember, especially in the future if I am raising a child of my own. I have learned to understand the dangers of giving kids everything they want and realize they...
  • Commented on Parenting Styles
    This semester I have worked in an elementary school and it is provided me with so much insight on what it's like to be a parent. I have found that sometimes I am too nice, that I am trying too...
  • Commented on Is it Worth it? (makeup blog)
    Yes, I know someone who went to rehab for a time last year because she was anorexic. She told me that she was completely over it now, yet she admitted that the high you receive from not eating is something...
  • Commented on Five Years? Nah, 10 Years
    This was really interesting. I thought classical conditioning was fascinating to learn about because it was something that most of us had thought about before, but never knew what it was. As an example, my mom always talked about how...
  • Commented on Analyzing Magic Tricks
    I agree with you on this. I am still fascinated by magic to this day. The reason for this can be summed up in a book I read on Houdini for a class last semester. It says that magicians "appeal...
  • Commented on In 5 years I Will Remember...
    I also found the concept of pseudoscience to be very interesting. Growing up, I was always told "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." This makes sense when I see many commercials, especially ones that make...
  • Posted Correlation versus Causation to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    For me, one of the ideas that I really thought was interesting was the notion that correlation doesn't equal causation. I remember reading about how test prep companies like the Princeton Review raved about the great test scores that students...
  • Commented on The need to belong
    This is an interesting discussion. I can relate to this because of my experience last summer. For the first half of the summer I could only get 10 hours of work per week. Not only was I bored by this,...
  • Commented on Intelligence portrayed in the media
    This is an excellent point. I would definitely agree that ignorance is encouraged to an alarming degree in our society. I remember being in school and people would make a joke out of not knowing something. Also, I remember a...
  • Commented on Quit Feeling Bad About Yourself
    This is a really important thing to consider. I feel as though we have been brought up with our parents telling us we can be whatever we want. While this seems ambitious, it often sets us up for disappointment. Furthermore,...
  • Commented on The Book was Right
    Personally, I think it is too much of a generalization to say that men are good at geography and women are good at English. I like to think that I am pretty good at both of these disciplines, yet could...
  • Commented on Extraordinary Evidence for Aliens? I think not
    kellu008, I have heard the argument about the number of stars and galaxies before and think it is a valid one. Still, what we are really contemplating here is the possibility that an extraterrestrial life form has an ability to...
  • Posted Political Persuasion:2012 edition to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    In politics, it seems as though money is just as important as the issues. I examined the websites of three different politicians that seek your decision, just in slightly different ways. For Barack Obama, it seems as though he is...
  • Commented on Chapter 11 Emotion and Motivation.
    I think the whole idea about motivation is very interesting. I recently read a book called drive, which discusses the origins or motivation. He cites the triumph oh wikipedia over MSN encarta, suggesting that because the Wikipedia's contributors were not...
  • Commented on Physical Attractiveness Bias.
    I would agree that physical attractiveness plays a considerable role in hiring. I recently read an article on the freakonomics blog where Daniel Hamermesh argued that being unattractive is the one discriminatory class for which there are no legal protections....
  • Commented on IQ: Is it the genes or the scenes?
    I think the IQ drop that occurs over summer break is very interesting. I remember summers where I would look back at my previous years' work and be clueless on how to complete it. I remember my teachers discuss this...
  • Commented on Gay Marriage
    You make some really good points. What I find most interesting about this issue is that the decision is being left up to the states. In this sense, the issue of gay marriage can draw some historical parallels to women's...
  • Commented on Young Children
    I regularly work with preschoolers and kindergarteners and this is very accurate. In my experience, children at this age have an obsession with bigness, at least in the sense of height. I think that this is somewhat derived from being...
  • Posted Selectivity of early memories to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    When recalling an early memory, I remember going to Florida with my family to visit Disney World. When thinking about this initially, all I remembered somewhat well was visiting my grandparents in Fort Myers and then my brother talking about...
  • Commented on Chapter #7: Memory
    I think memory is a very interesting subject because oftentimes the things that affect our memory are things we would rarely think about. For example, I learned in another class that writing down notes once and never looking at them...
  • Commented on Psychology As We May Not Know It
    I think psychology is an interesting case when it comes to its definition because it contains aspects of the hard and soft sciences. I think that the disciplines of science are becoming increasingly interrelated and will be even more so...
  • Posted Chapter 4: Sensation and Perception to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    Chapter details the functions of the five sense organs and how the brain interprets each of them.Contrary to popular belief, there is a degree of fallibility to this process. One topic that I found interesting was the discussion on Extrasensory...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from zimme558

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page