oneil426

• Commented on Is Being Gay A Choice?
    I think the answer is very clearly proven in the animal kingdom. Its not just humans who exhibit homosexual behavior, it happens more often than you think in all species of animals. I don't think that anyone chooses their sexual...
  • Commented on The Modern Demise & How to Live Ethically
    I don't know if I completely buy/understand his theory. I watch south park on occasion, and I find that show hilarious. I can't think of a time where after watching it I have been unhappy. I can easily see how...
  • Commented on Boredom Made Me a Lie Dector
    I don't know if their are any absolute universal signs of lying, because I think a lot of people have their own strategy. A lot of my friends are different in how they try and deceive other people, including myself....
  • Commented on Who said I'm not intelligent?
    I completely agree with this post. Their are so many charistics and qualities of people to be considered into intelligence, and the only one that is conventionally called intelligence is analytical intelligence, like the intelligence needed to take tests. I...
  • Commented on Am I the Only One?
    This post made me think of something that I remember doing when I was walking to class. A student in a wheel chair looked like he was sleeping, in the middle of the sidewalk, facing forward, like he had just...
  • Commented on Paranormal or Paranoia?
    I think that the terror management theory brings up a good point in regards to peoples fear of dying. As sad as it sounds, my dad is getting older, and I've asked him before if he is afraid of dying....
  • Commented on We are not actually consciously in charge of our self?
    I really don't think that this finding implies that we don't have freewill, and that the environment dictates our decisions. I definitely believe that this machine is just showing that our brain has the answer before our body has time...
  • Commented on pseudoscience
    Pseudoscience makes me think of the online ads that tell you that you are the millionth visitor to the site, and you won $10,000. You know you know better, but you always think about what if it actually does work,...
  • Commented on Tip-Of-The-Tongue Phenomenon
    I find the tip of the tongue phenomenon pretty interesting. Its weird how I can temporarily forget someones name, even though I can mentally picture what they look like, and then come up with the name a couple minutes later....
  • Commented on You're Only Fooling Yourself
    This is a very interesting read. It is fascinating to think about how much your mindset can play a role in your apparent health. Sometimes when Im sick, and I am constantly thinking about how sick I am and how...
  • Commented on Chapter 3
    I think you bring a good point up about the difficulty of distinguishing between the two subjects of nature and nurture. Our nature, or our genes come from our parents, but our nurture, or childhood upbringings is also coming partly...
  • Commented on Chapter 9: Effects on our Intelligence
    You bring up an interesting point talking about how the future generations of people are getting smarter, and every decade we are raising the average for the IQ. It is kind of cool to think about that as a society...
  • Commented on Ink My Whole Body?
    I wonder if this concept could apply to professional boxers. I feel like if I even took a couple of those hundreds of hits those guys take, I would be on my knees. It would be interesting to talk to...
  • Commented on Conditioning to do, think, and feel
    This is a really interesting finding. It makes me think of state dependent memory, like how being under the influence for alcohol for example, your memory is better of something you did while you were drunk previously. If you threw...
  • Commented on Hypnosis: Treatment or Entertainment?
    When I was growing up, I definitely didn't understand how hypnosis worked, and I thought that you could get someone to do anything. After watching a few shows where people were hypnotized, and reading about it, you gain a much...
  • Commented on Mind the Jackelopes
    I like how you put this. I agree that one of the biggest things I took away from the course was on this topic. I almost wrote about it, instead of on memory. I found it interesting that the textbook...
  • Posted Remembering to Remember to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    The thing I will remember the most from PSY1001 5 years down the road will have to be about how our memory works. It should have seemed obvious that our different senses remember things differently, like our iconic (visual) and...
  • Posted The Bigger The Better to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    After watching both of the videos of women in Mauritania, I was pretty shocked to see how different they were than the standards or views in America. The videos portray a long history in Mauritanian culture of a male...
  • Posted The bigger the better to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25DxHXz8ZUQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6VrzGWCq2I&feature=relmfu After watching both of the videos of women in Mauritania, I was pretty shocked to see how different they were than the standards or views in America. The videos portray a long history in Mauritanian culture of a...
  • Commented on The Psychology of Social-network Sites
    I didn't know until now that this phenomena was a studied thing. I find it very interesting because I myself have posted regrettable things onto social media, only later to realize the implications of my actions. I don't see this...
  • Posted Did you have to learn who you are? to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    The question of when we become aware of our own selves is surprisingly more complex than what I assumed. I obviously do not remember not knowing about myself, because I wouldn't have thought about it. The most surprising thing to...
  • Commented on Exercise? How Much?
    I think that the gains from exercising outside of just walking to activities on campus is almost a necesity to my daily life. I find that after playing basketball or working out at the rec, the rest of my day,...
  • Commented on Subtle Observations
    I think your on to something. I do think that someones body language is a direct indication of how they are feeling at any particular time. If they are disengaged, they could be tired, or just uninterested in the situation...
  • Posted Hold that thought! (Chapter 7) to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    In Chapter 7, I found it very interesting how humans retain information differently, depending on how it is perceived. People are typically more capable of retaining echoic memories (sound) for longer (about 5 to 10 seconds), compared to iconic memory...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from oneil426