degro050

• Commented on The Devastating Effects of Alzheimer's Disease
    This is one of the reasons I became so interested in neuroscience and psychology. While other diseases and disorders are very sad, I don't know if there could be anything worse than losing control of your own body and mind....
  • Commented on Bystander Effect-Hello? Somebody help me!!!
    I've heard that the more people there are around, the more likely no one will do anything to help in situations like this. I think it has something to do with the mindset that someone else will surely help, I...
  • Commented on A Cure for Discrimination?
    I really try not to act or think in discriminatory ways, but will sometimes catch myself saying or thinking something prejudiced. It's really hard to be completely unbiased, especially when others around you are biased (i.e. media, parents, friends, etc)....
  • Commented on Let's Get Down to Studying
    I also had a hard time transitioning, and still do sometimes. Because high school was generally extremely easy for me, I never really learned how to study well. Not cramming is a very good thing!...
  • Commented on My Attachment to the Attachment Theory
    I think this would be a great tool to use when raising children, and to keep in mind that how you raise them will impact them greatly. Although this is really informative, I don't think it's completely black and white....
  • Commented on Stress: A Part of our Everyday Lives
    This is great! I have read about meditation as well, but always seem to forget about it when I really need it. Even though I haven't tried meditation much, I find that spending time alone thinking or taking a walk...
  • Commented on Teach or Be Taught
    It's great to know that you will be able to use these concepts to better help your students. I definitely think that more emphasis should be placed on individual differences in learning, rather than making students feel inadequate when they...
  • Posted Go away please to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    When the weekend finally rolls around, most people seem excited to get together with friends to go out and have a good time. While I too like spending time with my friends, my idea of a great weekend usually involves...
  • Commented on Does Birth Order Matter?
    I'm also and oldest child, and most of my friends are, as well as my boyfriend. I don't believe that birth order causes differences, but I believe there are some differences that might be correlated. I'm sure that most parents...
  • Commented on "Anybody else have to go to the bathroom?"
    I also agree that basing your decisions on what others will think or doing things only for that reason can greatly impair judgement. It's probably one of the reasons why teens especially often make poor decisions. Peer pressure can cause...
  • Posted You-Know-Who to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    Arguably, the best part of the Harry Potter series is it's rich and diverse cast of characters. Although everyone can agree that the main antagonist, Voldemort, was evil, there is far more to his personality than what you see at...
  • Commented on Dating the Guy sitting next to you in class?
    I would have to agree with this. I wouldn't say that I initially felt attracted to my boyfriend for this reason, but it was definitely a large factor in holding my interest. I wonder if it has something to do...
  • Commented on Aggression
    I have no idea if this is true, but there could be evolutionary reasons for the differences in the types of aggression between males and females. Maybe because males were typically involved in more physical activities (labor, hunting, protecting), males...
  • Commented on Difference in Perception of Beauty
    I agree that there really is a large difference across cultures in opinions of beauty. I am half American and half Honduran. I don't think I am considered very attractive here in the states, but my family in Honduras think...
  • Commented on How to Detect a Lie
    I think it would be very hard to find a method that can accurately detect lies close to 100% of the time, especially because there are some who are skilled at lying and manipulation. I'm doing a paper on psychopathy;...
  • Commented on Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?
    Great figure :) Sexual orientation is most likely genetic, or at least a large part of it is. What I don't understand is that even if it was a "choice," why should that matter so much anyway? I don't think...
  • Posted Animal Talk to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    It's clear that animals have their own, simple ways of communicating: pheromones, mating calls, body language, to name a few. But can they communicate using human language? Sure, pets and show animals can be trained using verbal commands, but do...
  • Commented on Autism and Vaccines: Seek and Ye Shall Find
    I know a couple who is raising their baby without any vaccines, and she is extremely healthy. However, I still don't see this as "proof" that vaccines are harmful/unnecessary. It's really hard to decide which side of the argument is...
  • Commented on Did you have to learn who you are?
    Actually dolphins elephants are able to recognize themselves in mirrors, so they probably have some sort of self awareness or secondary consciousness as well (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/10/061030-asian-elephants.html; http://www.pnas.org/content/103/45/17053.abstract). It seems that the ability to reason and infer is required to have a...
  • Commented on Is Being Human Nature or Nurture?
    I would say she is a human, biologically and genetically. If she isn't human, then what is she? There are several people who are born without the ability to speak, or with severe cognitive deficiencies, that doesn't mean they are...
  • Commented on Paranormal or Paranoia?
    I definitely agree that most people have a strong fear of death. I do believe in ghosts (whatever they might be), even though I'm a science major. It could partially be because of my cultural upbringing, but in either case,...
  • Commented on Subtle Observations
    I think that as very social animals, humans have a tendency to copy the moods/emotions of others around them and be very influenced by them. It seems that we have this innate desire to be part of a group and...
  • Posted Sweet Dreams to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    The internet is filled with personality tests that will tell you who you are based on your favorite color, whether or not you are messy, or if you like dogs or cats. Internet quizzes generally aren't very dependable. However,...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from degro050