caoxx217

• Commented on No one has the right to play GOD!!
    This was a very interesting blog topic. I agree that the information could be potentially dangerous because humans are definitely capable of judging harshly and committing atrocities. At the same time, however, that research should still be completed because knowledge...
  • Commented on In Five Years I Will Remember...
    I totally agree with you--I definitely will remember the scientific thinking principles because I find myself applying them all the time. Whenever I see health news articles, I find myself thinking, that's a correlational relationship, and not causational. Overall, very...
  • Commented on Mint, Dwight?
    I love both of these shows and I definitely remember both scenes. I think watching TV in this case actually helped me grasp the topic of classical conditioning. The baby Albert experiment still shocks me because it's incredible that someone...
  • Commented on Yerkes-Dodson Law: Being Ready for the Big Game
    I definitely apply the Yerkes-Dodson Law a lot to my own life. Whenever I played tennis matches against really good teams, I had to calm myself down otherwise I'd play worse than normal. I totally agree with the two curves...
  • Commented on Mental Illness Awareness
    Nice blog post! I think talking about mental illness in psychology has definitely made me less frightened of it. Mental illness seems to be surrounded by a lot of stereotypes which is why we associate so many negative ideas with...
  • Commented on Mirror Images!
    Interesting blog topic! I think the mere exposure effect is so prevalent in our own lives that it's hard to forget. Whenever I listen to songs, I don't like them right away but after being repeated a few times, I...
  • Commented on How much would you conform?
    Interesting blog topic! Conformity is definitely a psych topic I'll remember as well because it defines so much of our own behaviors. I think conformity definitely can have some dangerous side effects even in social situations as we've seen in...
  • Posted The Persistence of Memory to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Ironically, the psychology concept that I will remember in five years is the concept of false memories. Oftentimes in the media, there are news reports on controversial trials in which star witnesses are called upon to testify as to what...
  • Commented on Does High SAT = High Intelligence?
    Excellent blog topic, and I completely agree with you. The type of intelligence measured by the SAT is not indicative of other types of intelligence at all. It's very narrow in that way and besides, academic success might not be...
  • Posted From the Bystander Effect Arises Tragedy to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    It's easy to think that the bystander effect isn't applicable to modern lives today. As humans, we have a tendency to be overly optimistic in the assessment of our hypothetical action. When we read about the Kitty Genovese's situation, we're...
  • Commented on Air Diet or Anorexia?
    It's so sad that people would have such problems with their weight as to resort to a glorified form of anorexia to conform to society's standards. I find it ridiculous that people are putting their health at risk--and not to...
  • Commented on Cookie Diet
    Very interesting topic! I completely agree with you--I feel like this is another weight-loss gimmick that doesn't teach people about healthy diets for weight maintenance. The obesity problem in this country can't be solved by these miracle diets as the...
  • Commented on Were you ever spanked as a kid?
    Very interesting blog post! While I don't think spanking has any long-term traumatic effects on a child, I don't think it's an effective option for children. Children learn by example and when adults teach them that hitting is OK, that...
  • Commented on To Catch a Liar
    I loved the show Lie to Me when it was on, I just found the idea of microexpressions to be super interesting! Telling if someone's lying based on microexpressions seems nearly impossible given that they last a fraction of a...
  • Commented on Parenting: Which one will you be?
    Very nice blog post! I thought this topic about different parenting styles was very interesting. I agree with you; I have authoritative parents and I think their propensity for rules really helped me become more responsible, but their support for...
  • Commented on Kamikaze Pigeons!
    Great article! This just goes to show how effective operant conditioning is in training certain behaviors in animals. It's so interesting to think that a little shaping and positive reinforcement can lead to such complicated behaviors. That being said, I'm...
  • Commented on When do you think you first became aware of yourself?
    My attention was immediately captured by the video posted--very cool! I've never really thought about self-awareness before taking psych as I'd always assumed that people were always aware of themselves. It's strange to think that through the period of 6...
  • Commented on Cetacea Skills
    I've always loved going to the zoo as a kid because the dolphin tricks were amazing. It's so cool to think that through the simple rewards and punishments of operant conditioning, we can train them to do extraordinary things. Very...
  • Posted The Chinese Effect and the Importance of Being Multilingual to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    For as long as I can recall, one of the distinctions of being fluent in Chinese was that relatively few people in my environment were able to understand it. Of course, that's not to say that there weren't some great...
  • Commented on Impossible Structures and their Vanishing Points
    Wow I love the pics you put into this blog posting! The actual construction of the drawing is so cool! It's crazy to think about how vanishing points can cause us to view something as cohesive but impossible. Nice job...
  • Commented on Impossible Figures!
    I'm like the other commenters above in how I'd always used to see these images in class and try to figure them out! I'm still really intrigued by how visual cues can sometimes be used to deceive us. Overall, very...
  • Commented on Sexuality: Nature vs. Nurture
    I like the topic of this blog a lot because it does bring up a controversial nature vs. nurture topic in society today. Personally, I've always been more inclined to believe that genes play the majority role in influencing sexuality...
  • Commented on Control Your Dreams & Live Your Fantasies!
    It's been a while since I've had lucid dreams--I just sleep like the dead now--but I used to have them all the time as a kid. I love the topic of dreaming because it's interesting to think about all the...
  • Commented on Luckily, Mom Isn't Always Right...
    Really interesting to read about! My mother does the same thing to me whenever I reach for a late-night snack. I liked the various sources of information that you brought into the article--it's intriguing to know that eating snacks may...
  • Posted Is it real--or is it Pseudoscience? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Pseudoscience has a strange way of popping up in our everyday lives. Or at least elements of pseudoscience do. We, as a society, are constantly bombarded with infomercial offers of miracle weight-loss diets, self-help gurus, and even miracle health cures....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from caoxx217