enge0461

• Posted Something I Will Remember to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Although I have learned numerous things during this semester in psychology, I believe that in 5 years what will still be in my mind is the six principles of scientific thinking: Ruling out rival hypotheses, correlation vs. causation, falsifiability, Occam's...
  • Posted IQ on a Job Application? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Should IQ tests be used to apply for a job? Why not? Employers want the smartest people to work for them and make their company successful. But is being "smart" the only qualification someone should have? For certain jobs, sure....
  • Commented on To Catch a Liar
    That video was really cool! I would have never guessed the lies if they hadn't pointed them out, and I totally failed when they asked us to pick out the lies on the last one. I also love the show...
  • Commented on Kohlberg's Conundrums
    I agree that picking an answer to those kinds of questions are very hard. I guess I would be able to justify either option, but choosing one is a very difficult thing to do, just as the real life situation...
  • Commented on The Role of a Father
    I totally agree with this. My mom and my dad were both parents to me in a different way. One time when I was little my dad and I actually talked about this. I told him that I thought my...
  • Commented on Calculating your Happiness with a Formula
    Although I definitely agree that those factors contribute to ones happiness, I do not think you can simply use them to calculate happiness. I think this brings up the nature vs. nurture debate. Is happiness a part of your genes...
  • Commented on Setting the Rules on Parenting
    My parents were also permissive in their parenting, increasingly so as I grew older. Just like you said, I am not rebellious and unstable as Baumrind would predict. I think that my parents raised me in a permissive way because...
  • Commented on Were you ever spanked as a kid?
    Although spanking is a controversial topic in today's society, I do not think that it is altogether a bad form of punishment. Some parents just take it too far, and these are the ones that are most often shown in...
  • Commented on The Lie Detectors Keep Lying
    I think that, although we are unable to effectively detect lies at the present time, we will eventually begin to understand lying more with our continually advancing technology. Although there are many mysteries to be solved, I do not think...
  • Commented on Lie Detectors Lie Too Much
    I think it is strange that, although there has been evidence that polygraph tests are unreliable as you have stated, major organizations still choose to use them. Although the idea that telling people they are lying will make the real...
  • Commented on Being Strict isn't Always the Trick
    My parents also raised me in a permissive style. While I do think this worked well for me most of the time, I feel like a balance between permissive and authoritarian, authoritative, would probably be the best form of parenting....
  • Commented on Morality: I Knew What I Thought Yesterday
    I like how you brought up possible flaws in Kohlberg's analyses. I definitely agree that a possible conflict was that people would be answering what they thought was the right answer. I also wonder whether the results he found would...
  • Commented on Will our generation IQ be greater than our parents generation?
    I definitely think that modern technology has to do with this as well. I watched my five year old cousin play on my uncle's Ipad once, and it was crazy to see how fast he used it and how knowledgeable...
  • Commented on Personality and Looks
    I totally agree with your blog! There are so many handsome guys out there who are also total jerks. It seems almost impossible to find a really good looking person who also has a great personality, but I would definitely...
  • Commented on Bad weight loss plans
    I think a main source of bulimia and anorexia is the media. People who are said to be beautiful are mainly the skinny ones. Although obese people are also at risk for health problems, it is definitely not to the...
  • Commented on Altruism: Are Your Relative's Lives More Important Than Yours?
    This is a very interesting behavior. I think as a society we are more accepting of people who are helpful to others as opposed to people who only look out for their well being. I remember once hearing a story...
  • Commented on Luck of the Draw?
    I am the oldest of my siblings and I have two younger sisters. We do not fit these characteristics, however. One of my friends, who is also the oldest, has a younger sister as well. I have found that, also...
  • Commented on From the Bystander Effect Arises Tragedy
    This is a very tragic story. After reading your blog, I couldn't believe that nobody would help. I watched the video, and seeing everyone walk by her was just horrible. Of course I think that I would never do something...
  • Commented on Smokin' the Mary Jane
    I do not think that we should ever make it mandatory to remove the "bad" genes. If you know that you are more prone to substance abuse than the only responsible thing to do would be to stay away from...
  • Commented on No one has the right to play GOD!!
    I agree that researching different genes is not the problem, but what to do with this research. I think this brings up the nature vs. nurture debate as well. Is it purely in our genes that causes such things as...
  • Commented on Implicit Association Test
    After reading your blog I was intrigued by this test and decided to take the same one. I also have a preference for young rather than old people (and I agree with you that it is most likely because I...
  • Commented on Social contagion or human's copycat behavior
    I think this is a very interesting phenomenon. I think the conformity that occurs could be both conscious and unconscious. Although we conform to many things without thinking about it (like yawning), there could be a few causes of conformity...
  • Posted Does High SAT = High Intelligence? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    College admission tests are designed to test and predict academic success. But could the outcome of these tests also speak for your intelligence? The SAT has been shown to correlate highly with standard measure of intelligence, specifically the Raven's Progressive...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from enge0461