mart3001

• Posted Does Reality Even Exist? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    We all like to think of ourselves as level-headed individuals who can look at things from an even-keeled perspective. We don't think we have biases, because we see things as they are. The thing that stuck out to me the...
  • Commented on Bad weight loss plans
    I think it's important to note that there are many factors that are relatively out of our control that can lead to eating disorders. It's not always a matter of a girl trying to lose weight, but sometimes genetic factors...
  • Commented on An Office Romance
    Office romances are such a weird subject. To what degree can employers tolerate relationships within their work environment without letting them interfere with productivity? I think that the office presents a case where it can work out fine, since Pam...
  • Commented on Is Beauty Universally Defined?
    I think that it's kind of intriguing how the concept of beauty can present some ethical issues. How anyone could ever think it to be just to put social pressure on women to get those lip plates I will never...
  • Commented on How Did Your Parents Raise You?
    I think that how our parents raise us is way more influential than any genetic trait we inherit. Think about how much we act like our parents. It's scary how often I say something and think to myself, "Oh my...
  • Commented on Tiny Human, Big Brain.
    I think that one of the most interesting things about psychological development is about how much of it is from nature and how much is from nurture. Do people get smarter at a faster rate because of their god given...
  • Posted Lie Detectors Lie Too Much to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    One of the things concerning lie detection that really stuck out to me was how lie detectors are often most successfully for their ability to elicit confessions from someone who has failed a polygraph test and actually was lying...
  • Commented on Born a Champion or Become a Champion?
    Great topic and great insight. I think it ultimately is a combination of both, like you said. If it were just about nurture, then Rudy would have made it to the NFL. If it were just about nature, then Randy...
  • Commented on Sexuality: Nature vs. Nurture
    I think this is a very important topic for people to be discussing in today's day and age. I always wonder what makes people gay or straight, and there are so many reasons to believe in nature as well as...
  • Commented on Does Your Brain Know You Better than You Know Yourself?
    I think the number 6 seconds seems a little bit exagerated, and may only apply to the task that this guy was asked to perform. For instance, if my roommate asks me to hand him a pencil, and I hand...
  • Commented on E*Trade, E Stands for Emotion
    I think that a lot of people respond strongly to emotion when it comes to money, because there is nothing that makes as sadder than losing money. Think of how sad people were during the Great Depression, and even 2008-2009?...
  • Commented on Why Buy?
    I think this is an example of Classical Conditioning. The sight of sweaty armpits is the UCS, the UCR is disgust, resentment, and a sense of commitment to make sure that never happens to you. The CS is the Axe,...
  • Commented on How Lion Taming Works
    Do you know if lion trainers ever use negative reinforcement to train their lions? I feel like whenever I hear of Operant Conditioning on animals it only refers to positive reinforcemen, such as rewarding the animal with some sort of...
  • Posted Neurocognitive Theory and NDEs to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Blog Post 2 While reading Chapter 5, I was able to resonate with a lot of the material and information presented regarding the psychology of sleep. For instance, neurocognitive theory brought up the fact that children's dreams tend to be...
  • Posted Stress to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Chapter 12 focused on Stress, Coping, and Health. The chapter starts off by going over the different ways to define and approach stress, as well as different ways by which it can be measured. I think one of the most...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from mart3001