scher332

• Posted Five Years from Today to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    In five years I'm sure many concepts from psychology will still be somewhere in my memory bank, but one concept in particular I think I'll remember most will be the parenting styles. Five years from now, or very soon after...
  • Posted Birth Order and Personality: Pop Psychology? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    People often look at birth order as a determining factor in one's personality. Though these claims are widely unsubstantiated, a majority of people believe them to be true. Why? Well, because in some cases the stereotype matches the birth order,...
  • Commented on 50 First Dates Though?
    I feel that it would have to be absolutely terrifying to have anterograde amnesia. Your life would be frozen in the past and everyone you know and love would change while you wouldn't be able to understand why. Great link...
  • Commented on Problems in Business
    It's amazing just how quickly people make decisions when they think that they are losing money by waiting. It's plain to see that in some industries making a quick dollar outweighs making the smart or even the ethical choice. Many...
  • Commented on Tiny Human, Big Brain.
    Way to make the topic personal. My mother, and one of her siblings like to say that they had to two smartest children. My brother could spell works like alligator at age 2, and was reading at age three. Since...
  • Commented on The Role of a Father
    I couldn't agree more. I think that fatherhood needs to be promoted as a social ideal. That is not to say that there aren't single fathers or fathers in traditional families doing an amazing job, it's just that there are...
  • Commented on Being Strict isn't Always the Trick
    The only thing I have to say about making mistakes and learning from them is that parents should allow their children the freedom to only make some mistakes. There are some mistakes that children should not have the freedom to...
  • Commented on Personality and Looks
    I honestly feel like 9 times out of 10 the most attractive people have the least attractive personalities. It seems as though their appearance has inflated their ego beyond all recognition. Some people are fantastic eye candy, but as soon...
  • Commented on Bad weight loss plans
    Before reading the chapter I had always thought that anorexia was the most common eating disorder due to the way it has been portrayed in the media, but this made me realize that bulimia is not only used to lose...
  • Commented on Luckily, Mom Isn't Always Right...
    My mother is a complete health nut. She doesn't necessarily think that eating late at night is a bad thing, she just thinks that there needs to be a certain amount of time before you eat again in the morning....
  • Commented on Altoids?
    Nice linkage. It's difficult to say that nature doesn't matter, because all of our actions have a natural basis somewhere. If it wasn't for our genes, or in this case the dog's genes, there would be no salivation in the...
  • Commented on Who Are You?
    I can almost guarantee that the analysis would show the traits of the fake personality in the story. I like that you looked at this subject because I never would have associated the two. My friends work at the Minnesota...
  • Posted But I Swear She Said "Rough." to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    As discussed in our text as well as demonstrated in the discussion section meeting on February 29th, our memory is far from perfect. Using schema, we associate bits of information and draw conclusions from stimuli that does not explicitly show...
  • Commented on Option 1 or Option 2? Your Brain Already Made the Decision for You
    I feel like we are in control of our decisions. There may have been some other reason for the 6 second delay. It may have been that he was a little unsure and was hesitant to press the button right...
  • Commented on You Could Walk On This Water!
    I definitely thought that the image was 3-dimensional. I think it's amazing that our brains automatically perceive depth with the addition of shadows and highlights in images. Size constancy is also obviously a factor in creating this illusion. You chose...
  • Commented on Sexuality: Nature vs. Nurture
    How is any sexuality "non-traditional"? Simply because it does not fit in with a certain religious affiliation or expectation? Homosexuality is well documented in over 500 species of animals including humans. It is a natural occurrence, regardless of if environmental...
  • Commented on Are YOU an Olympic Athlete?
    I believe that it's absolutely a mix of both nature and nurture that creates a world-class athlete, or any athlete whatsoever. Without the genetic makeup allowing for coordination, strength, speed, etc. an athlete would have a difficult time competing against...
  • Commented on Man on the Moon
    I think just about everyone could say that they've seen a meaningful image while looking at clouds at some point or another. What I find interesting about this phenomenon is the constant search for order in chaos. Why is it...
  • Commented on Smiles around the World
    I don't necessarily find it difficult to believe that smiles are written into human genetic code. If all of our innate physical behaviors and responses are a result of our genetic makeup, then smiles too should be a result of...
  • Posted Who Am I? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Everyone looks at themselves in a certain way, claiming their persona, or identity. Chapter 10 not only discusses human development from zygote to adulthood, but also examines the "most comprehensive theory" of how we develop our identity (p.393). Touching on...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from scher332