smit6163

• Posted Cognitive Development: How Our Minds Are Melded to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    I have always been interested in how our minds work, and why we all differ from each other. It is clear that we all learn at different rates, and I found the different theories of cognitive development very interesting....
  • Commented on No one has the right to play GOD!!
    It is clear that we, as a race, are delving into pretty deep territory with our genetics research, which is why it's such a hot topic. I see nothing wrong with asking questions, but, like you said, there are people...
  • Commented on Smokin' the Mary Jane
    I don't think it's possible to block or inhibit an "addiction gene" because it has more factors than a gene. The situations we are put in throughout life would have an effect on our addiction habits also. So even if...
  • Commented on Is Beauty Universally Defined?
    Very interesting, concise blog. I think you hit all the major points. Different cultures have their own idea of beauty, but it doesn't stop there. Individuals within a certain culture vary in their opinions of beauty also. The .7 hip...
  • Commented on worst.weight.loss.plan.ever.
    Wow, what an awful way to lose weight. People will believe anything to get rid of a few pounds! What they don't consider, is how unhealthy all these crazy diets are, and then they do much more harm than good....
  • Posted Why Do We Marry? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Reasons for attraction to a certain individual is different across cultures, as well as within cultures. I recently was in India, and I learned many astonishing things about their different classes and marriage within them. I was working with low-class...
  • Commented on The Lie Detectors Keep Lying
    I agree with the above post. I think humans have learned over our existence that lying can help keep us alive at times. I'm not saying I approve of lying, but I do think there is good evidence that we...
  • Commented on Calculating your Happiness with a Formula
    I haven't read the book, but I have heard of happiness equations and I believe in it for the most part. I think we are predisposed genetically to act certain ways to situations as well as bounce back from them...
  • Commented on A Changing Society
    Yes, some children are coddled way too much. The article you gave was an excellent example! I think it is absolutely ridiculous to ban physical contact. It's in environments like those where things go wrong, because the kids will never...
  • Commented on How Did Your Parents Raise You?
    I agree completely with your post. Although I consider myself very lucky with the way I was raised and I plan to duplicate it to the best of my ability with my own children, doesn't mean other ways don't work...
  • Commented on So who is this Father Figure?
    There is definitely the stereotypical dad fixes things and mom takes care of you that most of us see within our own households. I think this is more so the case when we are younger, but now, as young adults,...
  • Commented on Would you fall in love with the same person after erasing all your memories?
    This is one of my favorite movies. I like the idea that, if we don't remember doing something, we would do it all over again. I think that gives everyone a true sense of identity-that we can't escape our instincts...
  • Commented on The Chinese Effect and the Importance of Being Multilingual
    This was a very interesting blog! I agree completely with the importance of knowing more than one language. I am not bilingual presently, but I hope to be within the next few years! I think it's great that America is...
  • Commented on Animal language
    This was a very intriguing read. I also believe animals communicate with each other, but I don't know if it's at the same level as humans. I think most animals' communication with each other is for simpler means, like getting...
  • Commented on When do you think you first became aware of yourself?
    Very interesting topic. I wrote about self-awareness also, but I failed to note the difference between becoming self-aware and being an overall observant person. Although we become self-aware when we are 18-24 months old, that doesn't make us more aware,...
  • Commented on Lionsgate: School of Autism
    Thank you for sharing about Lionsgate Academy! I was not aware we had a school for autistic kids-very cool. I've been looking after a pair of autistic twins for many years now, and it's astounding the things they can't do,...
  • Commented on How Lion Taming Works
    Love the topic. I think animal training is fascinating, just because you sometimes forget how possible it is! The process is, I'm sure, very time consuming, but the same steps of conditioning are used for human and animals. Our minds...
  • Posted Does Life Not Begin Until We Are 18-24 Months? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    According to BBC's "The Secret You," humans do not become self-aware until the age of 18-24 months. This is tested by placing a red dot on children's faces without their knowing, and then seeing if they realize it is there...
  • Commented on Impossible Structures and their Vanishing Points
    I agree with how interesting art like this is. If nothing else, I am very impressed with the artist's ability to draw something that makes no sense. I think that would be extremely difficult and I know I would just...
  • Commented on Option 1 or Option 2? Your Brain Already Made the Decision for You
    I think the results of the test given at the end of the video are strange to think about, but they make sense. The man who was explaining the results of the test said that it wasn't that our brain...
  • Commented on We all love sleep, but...
    Love the movie reference! I remember this being the strangest, and therefore funniest, part of Rat Race when it first came out because I hadn't seen anything like it before. I definitely didn't understand why he just randomly fell asleep...
  • Commented on Luckily, Mom Isn't Always Right...
    Good job, the personal touch grabbed my attention and made me continue reading! Those articles are interesting. There are many studies about eating healthy and eating right, but there is only so much you can read before simply trying different...
  • Commented on Smiles around the World
    I agree with the above statement. I think smiles were predisposed to be something we do when we're happy, similar to how natural walking and talking are, although I have no idea how to prove it. But I enjoyed this...
  • Commented on Sexuality: Nature vs. Nurture
    Along with some of the above comments, I never thought of sexual preference as a component of the nature/nurture debate. So I appreciate this blog as it made me look at it a different way. My personal belief is someone's...
  • Posted Sleeping Disorders - Not to Take Lightly to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Chapter 5 is all about consciousness versus unconsciousness. It talks about how our bodies work when we are in a deep sleep, and some of the problems that can arise. Now, I know we all know about sleepwalking; from movies,...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from smit6163