joh08991

• Posted Tatum: Part V to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    In this section Tatum speaks about how we need to actively talk about racism and take it head on. She believe that not speaking about racism stifles our society's growth and development (pg. 200). To break the silence Tatum tells...
  • Posted Ellen Staurowsky, "You Know We're All Indian" & DQ to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    In recent years, the NCAA including Florida State University (FSU) University of Illinois, and the University of North Dakota (UND) has been under fire due to its representations of American Indian culture. The author of this article, Ellen Staurowsky, explicitly...
  • Posted Part IV in Tatum & Andy Marra Article to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Part IV in the Tatum book, "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" discusses issues surrounding identity development in the Latino, American Indian, and Asian Pacific cultures. She recognizes these groups of people also face racial...
  • Posted Tatum Parts II & III, & "Invisible Knapsack" to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Part II of Tatum's book, "Why are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" explores childhood development and children's recognition of race. Tatum uses the example of her own experiences with her children to explain why children seek...
  • Posted Persepolis: Part II & Tatum Part I (DQ) to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    The second half of the film Persepolis focuses on Marjane's reentry into Iran. When Marjane goes back home she falls into a depression. Her transition into the western culture was difficult, as well as trying to hide yet keep her...
  • Posted Persepolis: Part I Response to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    The film Persepolis follows the events during the Iran-Iraq war and effect of the Islamic revolution through the eyes of Marjane Satrapi, the lead character. Marjane's family was privileged so the Iranian government directly affected her family's welfare. At...
  • Posted ICC Chapter 11 & "Unquenchable Thirst" to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    This week's article Unquenchable Thirst discuses the pending conflict surrounding south asian water supply. Indus the river that flows through India and Pakistan is undergoing major changes with India's intention to build a dam that will lessen the water down...
  • Posted ICC: Chapter 9 & DQ to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Chapter 9 of the Intercultural Communication explores pop culture within intercultural communication. Some of the key words discussed in this chapter are high culture, folk culture, and popular culture. According to the text, high culture can be defined as an...
  • Posted ICC: Chapter 8 & DQ to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Chapter 8 of Intercultural Communications explores why people have traveled across cultural boundaries. Whether a person travels to explore new lands or moves across the country for refuge, one thing is certain, these individual will experience what Chapter 8 describes...
  • Posted ICC: Chapter 7 to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Chapter 7 of ICC explores the use of non-verbal cues and the important role it plays in understanding intercultural communication. While reading this chapter there was one particular vocabulary word I found myself relating to, it was the expectancy violation...
  • Posted Lana Wachowski's Speech & ICC Chapter 6 to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Lana Wachowski's acceptance speech for the HRC Visibility award was inspirational for many people; you could hear other's admiration during her speech. During her speech she spoke about her life and all the little things that added up to her...
  • Posted ICC 5 & "La Guera" to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    This week's readings Chapter 5 in ICC and Cherie Moraga article, "La Guera" focused on personal identities, like class or sexuality, and how it affects the roles we play in our society. To understand what an identity is Chapter 5...
  • Posted ICC Chapter 4 to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Chapter 4 in the Intercultural Communications text covered the good, bad, and the ugly of past intercultural cultural history. I think if there is one thing this chapter has taught me is intercultural communication is important to learn about and...
  • Posted ICC Chapter 3 & Moving Babies to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Chapter 3 of the ICC textbook focuses on culture and what is the meaning behind our culture in the U.S., as well as other countries, like China. As the text indicates culture can be defined in various ways through the...
  • Posted ICC: Chapter Two to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Today's reading was based on chapter two in the Intercultural Communication textbook. Chapter two focused on the theories and practices when partaking in intercultural communication. The vocabulary words that I found most intriguing in this chapter were proxemics, diversity training,...
  • Posted Long Night's Journey Into Day Wrap Up & Chapter One Overview to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    The ending of the documentary Long Night's Journey Into Day was the most fascinating part of the film for me because it showed the resolution of the four major events featured in the film: Amy Biehl's Murder, the Cradock 4,...
  • Posted Long Night's Journey Into Day to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Before watching the documentary film Long Night's Journey Into Day I knew very little about apartheid, and what I did know about it was at the surface of the many trails and tribulation people faced throughout this time. What I...
  • Posted Why We Travel to Intercultural Communication S 2014
    Prior to reading Pico Iyer's "Why We Travel" article, I had a preconceived notion that reason people travel was based upon the need for travel in their own lives; to fulfill a need for travel through work related reasons or...
  • Posted Three Dimensions of iCulture Blog & DQs to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    The Andrejevic article describes the modern ways which technology is used to connect people. The article argues that modern technology interferes with the ways people interact, for an example online shopping takes away the sales clerk/customer interaction when an item...
  • Posted Williamson Article & DQ 11/26 to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    Williamson's article Decoding Advertisements had me thinking of ways in which I am influenced by advertisements. Admittedly, I buy fashion magazines just for the ads. I find them appealing because the designer's clothing is featured in these advertisements through a...
  • Posted Heroes of Assimilation DQ to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    Currently the media has put more of an emphasis on people with disabilities, and their abilities to live normal lives. My discussion question is: With a more positive reinforcement from coming media sources will the disability community be able to...
  • Posted Becker: Gay-Themed TV and the Slumpy Class to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    I've watched many of the popular shows that were mentioned in this article, so I'm more than aware of the impact they've made in our society. However, I was not aware of the reasons for the political motives and economic...
  • Posted Face of America Blog & DQ to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    Although I found this article to be a bit hard to follow based its fluidity this is what I could take way from it -- Berlant took examples from different media text and explained the situations in which they shed...
  • Posted Ashley Judd & Newsom's Arguments: Blog Post & DQ to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    It's a tale is a old as time. For decades women, as well as men, have been put under a microscope and scrutinized for their appearance. Ashley Judd's article sheds a light on the ways in which the media criticizes...
  • Posted Mulvey Article -- Transgender Gaze to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    From what I understand, the term transgender gaze is a blur between the lines of gender and the biological sex of an individual. This article confusingly explained three examples from movies that contained transgender themes. Each example contained the struggle...
  • Posted Discussion Question 10/15 to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    Reading through this article made me think, "Are ways in which women are portrayed in the media in 1978 (when this article was written) similar to how women are portrayed now in 2012 or have their roles evolved? I,...
  • Posted Blog Post #5 Alicia Key's and Unthinkable Interracial Dating to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    Last weeks and this weeks discussions of racism has really made me take a second look at the way in which I view our society and the people in it. This week's article, "Alicia Keys and Unthinkable Interracial Dating" has...
  • Posted DQ-- Week 6 to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    After reading both assigned article for Monday I wondered; Are we taught as a society the definition of race, or is it in our human nature to define? Also, do stereotypes play into the way we define race, and if...
  • Posted Blog Post #4 Bettie Article & DQ to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    The Bettie article that we read for this week made me realize why the fan base to the show Roseanne had such a following. The author explains that this show is relatable to many people due one aspect of the...
  • Posted Blog Post #3 Overview of articles read for this week to Media Literacy Fall 2012
    The articles that we were assigned to read for this week seem to carry the same underlying theme of encoding and decoding the message of the advertisement or the intent of the type of media. While reading the Seiter article...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from joh08991

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page