alle0518

• Posted Christopher Hitchens and Scientific Thinking to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    Chapter one, the discussion of the principles of scientific thinking, logical fallacies, and the discussion of other biases that get in the way of logical thinking will stick with me. Christopher Hitchens, who is my favorite outspoken atheist, implicitly uses...
  • Commented on Not hungry... or...
    I think media plays a huge role! But another thing is peer teasing. This doesn't just happen in high school, I've seen two examples of it outside of the school scene in the past 2 weeks. First, when I was...
  • Commented on ACT? SAT? IDK!
    I took the ACT once, got a 24, and have a 4.0 gpa. So my score did not really predict college success for me. My score has made me question if I really am smart or just a hard worker....
  • Commented on Liar Liar Pants on Fire!
    I know in the show besides nonverbal cues they also use the way sentences are worded to figure out if they are lying. Has any research been done on that to see if that is an accurate way of telling...
  • Commented on Do whatever the heck you want or Do exactly what I say or you're grounded?
    I agree with the first comment, parents shouldn't be mad at their kids for being creative, even if they do make a mess or are being loud. I am going to let my kids run free, make messes, and be...
  • Commented on Parenting Styles
    When I was young my parents were only strict about one thing: we had to go to church, and weren't aloud to be exposed to anything that "didn't edify God". So no pokemon, Harry Potter, or Dragon Tales for my...
  • Commented on An essential molecule... A universial cure
    I get free fountain drinks at work, and I used to always drink pop. Now I only drink water at work, and try only to drink pop on rare occasions. I feel like my skin is healthier, and I have...
  • Commented on 19 Kids and COUNTING?!
    I agree, the parents cannot possibly spent enough time with each child to give them the proper emotional attention they need or develop meaningful relationships with so many. The older siblings do much of the parenting, which is not fair...
  • Commented on Baby Einstein: Dont let him teach your babies.
    I feel like these are not useful because babies learn through social interaction and exploring the physical world. They are too young to learn through observation, they need feedback. However, I think for adults and teenagers movies can be educational....
  • Commented on Parlez-vous Bilingual? Reasons to learn a second language
    I think that all school children should learn a second language in elementary school, as soon as they can! Many students take a year or two in high school and it's pointless because they forget everything. I went to our...
  • Commented on Heaven is For Real
    I think you can be religious and believe in heaven and a god and still see that this kid probably did not go to heaven. It is more parsimonious to say that he was influenced by his father to say...
  • Posted Heaven is For Real to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    The New York Time's best selling book Heaven Is For Real is about a four year old boy named Colton, who went to heaven while he was in surgery after a burst appendix. Skeptical? So was I. His parents say...
  • Commented on Am I forgetting something?
    Mis-folded protein diseases like Alzeimer's, Parkinson's, and mad cow disease are some of the scariest! Scientists know almost nothing about how to stop them. Scientists don't even understand how mad cow disease really works, how one misfolded protein can cause...
  • Favorited The Alzheimer Epidemic on Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
  • Commented on The Alzheimer Epidemic
    Although very few cases of Alzeimer's are genetic, some are. My great-grandma had it until she passed away. My other great-grandma sometimes doesn't remember my name, although I don't think she has Alzeimer's. This is why I realize the importance...
  • Commented on Hypnosis
    I think hypnosis is fascinating. I have seen a hypnotist perform twice, and both were really cool and funny experiences. You can search hypnotist on youtube and watch videos of them performing. I tried the video, but I didn't really...
  • Commented on Can you memorize all the addresses in your high school's phone book?
    There is no vaccine for autism. The MMR vaccine you were talking about is the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine. Thiomersal is a chemical found in many vaccines. Both were thought to cause autism, and lead to popular belief that...
  • Commented on Breaking a Mirror Means What?
    I think this is a really interesting discussion! I totally see what you're saying, how operant conditioning can reinforce superstitious beliefs. An example of this: Someone prays every night to get a raise. After a month they get the raise....
  • Commented on Where Does Consciousness Reside In Our Brian?
    Is being self aware being conscious? I think consciousness is a very hard thing to measure scientifically, because what do you actually measure? An operational definition needs to be made for consciousness to measure it. I heard about the tennis...
  • Commented on ESP; survey says we believe in it!
    I agree with Soda M, how some people have a natural gift for feeling people's emotions and reading facial expressions, which is not ESP. Supernatural stuff is fun, my friends and I love to scare ourselves by going to "haunted"...
  • Commented on <em>Who Switched off Your Brain?</em>
    Epigenetics is really interesting, I wrote about it in my blog post too. What I want to know is does this author who asserts that the way we think can change our brain have evidence to support that claim? The...
  • Commented on Self-Control - Nature or Nurture?
    You were talking about how self control may be related to something in the brain. From other articles I've read and things I've learned in various classes I would say the brain has a lot to do with self control....
  • Posted Nature, Nurture, or... to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    Sitting on my coffee table four piercing blue eyes caught my attention. An issue of National Geographic with Twins written in bold letters and a pair of darling girls, nose and cheeks sprinkled with freckles was on the cover....
  • Posted Does Psychological Therapy Work? Chapter 16 to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    Chapter 16 is about different kinds of therapies that can help people with psychological problems. One of these types of therapies is called person-centered therapy, developed by Carl Rogers. It involves the patient and a therapist who doesn't tell...
  • Posted Flashback to In Sickness & In Health: Freshman Seminar 2011
    One of the major things that stuck with me was how women with many sexual partners were more prone to depression, I think that's something women our age need to be aware of. Another thing that stuck with me was...
  • Posted Grieving to In Sickness & In Health: Freshman Seminar 2011
    The articles about the woman who lost her husband were really sad. I can't begin to imagine how she feels because I have never lost a loved one. I think that losing your husband while so young would be one...
  • Commented on Support: What and When
    It kind of seems like women appreciate invisible support more and give it more, where as men like to be the dog receiving praise!...
  • Commented on Stop, You're Supporting Me Too Much
    I agree with you how it makes you paranoid about giving support, because when we give support we are just trying to help. It's not like when we're having a conversation with someone and trying to support them we think...
  • Posted Support: Good or Bad? to In Sickness & In Health: Freshman Seminar 2011
    The first article was really fun to read! I always knew it was important to be there for your partner, but I never knew there were two ways to do it. I never would have thought that invisible support could...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from alle0518

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page