hutch213

• Posted Welcome to the blog class of 2014 to Bridge 2014 Class blog
  • Posted Blog post #1 to Bridge 2013 Summer Blog
    Pick an article relevant to the Literature course. The article must be a from a peer reviewed journal found on google scholar, or the University of Minnesota library data base. Please state why you found this article interesting and how...
  • Posted Welcome to the Class Blog to Bridge 2013 Summer Blog
    Hi everyone, Welcome to the Bridge 2013 Class Blog. This is a space created for you to share your work and ideas! Please share your work, comment on your peers, and support intelligent debate....
  • Posted test 2 to test 2
    test 2...
  • Posted this is a test to this is a test
    test test test...
  • Posted Blog post #2 to Bridge Summer 2012 Class Blog
    DUE DATE CHANGE Blog post # 2-- Due MONDAY(comments due TUESDAY) 1. Find examples of spoken word or a poem pertaining to the issues we've discussed in class (globalization, immigration, disparity between two world, diaspora, pluralism, assimilation, transnationalism) 2....
  • Posted Homework Assignment due Monday June 7th to Bridge Summer 2012 Class Blog
    1. Review MLA In text citations and works cited page on the OWL at Purdue Website 2. Find a (recent) article you like addressing the story of refugees and summarize the article. Be careful to critically evaluate the source...
  • Posted Welcome to the Class Blog: 1st assignment to Bridge Summer 2012 Class Blog
    Step 1: Define a term from class (give the definition, then include *your* interpretation of what that means in your own words, what feelings do these words bring up) -assimilation -segregation -anglo-conformity -xenophobia Step 2: Explain the term using...
  • Commented on Now I'm not trying to be a Negative Nelly, but....
    I really appreciate the very honest feedback that you've all provided. While psychology, this class format etc. may not be everyone's cup of tea, I still value your opinion and appreciate your honesty. You are entirely correct in staying that...
  • Commented on Memorable Psychology Topic: The Big Five Model of Personality
    I like the approach that we are not necessarily people of extremes or that dimensions of personality aren't necessarily categorical, but rather on a spectrum. The points you make on cross culturalism is also something that interests me--this is an...
  • Commented on Parenting Styles
    I like that you highlighted a major problem with the sample. This is something commonly encountered in child psychology--many of the children are convenience samples. Often times the children are those of researchers, or student recruited from on campus day...
  • Commented on Calculus Frustration
    Good example that highlights some of the classic problems we encounter in problem solving. Often times we apply the same method to solve a problem, if we solved a similar problem using similar methodology. The problem is, this doesn't always...
  • Commented on Say YES to the Dress
    This was a nice application to attraction in the real world, or at least unscripted television! I see this myself, just from casual observations of friends and mutual acquaintances. Even outside of the university sphere, many of my friends have...
  • Commented on Do Ask, Do Tell: An encouragement for freedom of expression and sexual orientation in the military
    I like the quote that you chose to share. I'm glad the the American Psychological Association has come so far in terms of their views on homosexuality. Up until the mid 70's-80s, homosexuality was still considered a mental disorder as...
  • Commented on Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire
    Yes, it's interesting that despite the amount of confidence we have in discerning lies, our accuracy, or lack of accuracy remains the same. We assume that machines are not as susceptible to human error but the polygraph test simply isn't...
  • Commented on Have you had a demon visit you at night???
    I think it's really interesting to see cross-cultural explanations for certain phenomena that we experience. I've never heard of this alternate explanation for it. I'm also curious if there are certain groups of people who never have an experience like...
  • Commented on Autism: Paranoid or Prepared?
    As with any pathology, we always want to know what the origins are. It was once widely believed (and still is) that vaccines are the cause of autism due to a widely published study by Andrew Wakefield. This data caused...
  • Commented on Do you know what is Alzheimer Disease?
    I really like that you identified some cross cultural comparison in eastern vs. western medicine. Your description of the mechanism under which alzheimers progresses is very thorough. Well done!...
  • Commented on Chapter 7- Memory
    you're right, memory is one of those fascinating and complex things that we may never truly understand. Our memories are so vulnerable to the suggestions of others. For example, if someone witnesses a car accident, asking that individual how fast...
  • Commented on Where did I put that?
    I liked your discussion on some of the preventative methods identified for alzheimers. While these methods do not guarantee the reversal of alzheimers or treatment of the disease once it's in progress, there are some research studies that suggest that...
  • Commented on Blog 2: On Dropping Out of School and Becoming a Gypsy
    I agree with your peers, this was a really interesting read! Even after learning about all of these biases and false perceptions through my studies, I *still* believe in these seemingly related coincidences. Once you see these patterns, they become...
  • Commented on Wait I can get away with only 15 minutes a day??
    You pointed out something interesting that you often see in research--conflicting results. There are a number of possible reasons why we find differing results including:different sample sizes, experimenter bias, confirmatory biases, research methods, etc. As a result, it is very...
  • Commented on Correlation versus Causation: Social Networking and Personal Confidence
    You posed some very interesting questions! That's a really interesting study, I'm so curious to hear about the methods behind this study. Many research articles, particularly mainstream articles that are psychology related make the jump from correlation to causation because...
  • Commented on 2012: A Claim With Poor Evidence
    This is a really good example demonstrating pseudoscience. You're absolutely right--presenting and extraordinary claim like this requires that one has extraordinary evidence, and simply put, the evidence just isn't there. This whole ordeal seems like a case of "illusory correlation"...
  • Commented on DREAMS: THE SECRET LIFE
    Great post! I really like your point about how recurring dreams could result from something that is persistent in waking life. I too have had similar dream about my teeth falling out, as have many of my friends. I often...
  • Commented on Astrology- The "divine science of the ancients"
    ah, pseudoscience! You did a really great job highlighting some of the hallmark issues with pseudoscience. This article was particularly vague as it kept referencing the "somehow". This article is a little different in that pseudoscience usually organizes its argument...
  • Commented on The Terrifying (and Beautiful) Truth that We Can't Even Trust Ourselves
    This was a really interesting take on the vulnerability of consciousness and the human brain. On one hand our brains are really robust--for example, other areas of the brain can pick up the slack if part of the brain is...
  • Commented on How Much is too Much? Caffeine's Effect on the body
    That's a really interesting point--perhaps it's not just the caffeine that stimulates the hunger, but also the method in which we get caffeine (often through overly sweetened beverages with heavy cream at the nearest starbucks). I think the general consensus...
  • Commented on R.I.P. - My lifelong belief in "The Hot Hand"
    Really nice comments guys! I remember how so many people in my judgment and decision making class were disillusioned by "the hot hand" when they found no scientific evidence for it's existence. It is funny how selective we are...
  • Commented on Two Twins Different Families
    Wow, lots of interesting points have been raised on this post! An important question was asked in the original post: how similar were the the twins' environments? As mentioned in the beginning of the clip, when twins were adopted they...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from hutch213

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page