pale0084

• Posted Rise of the Planet of the Apes to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    "Why do you like cheese cake?" Because it tastes good..? "Yes...but why?" These are the questions that lead us to riveting discussion of evolutionary psychology. As presented by Professor Simpson, the series of evolutionary psychology broke down the very...
  • Commented on First kid, the smartest one?
    Interesting blog post! I'm not sure if I agree with Alder's theory about the first-born, because that's not my situation, but it does vary with different families, cultures, and personality traits. It's a interesting thought that the older sibling gains...
  • Commented on coping strategies for stress
    Unfortunately I suffer from mild anxiety, so I know stress all too well. For me, the whole "mind over matter" does not work, as my mind seems to be my enemy; I can always turn a situation into something life-threatening...
  • Commented on Memorable Moments in Learning
    The child development section in this course was very interesting, I agree. The different stages of children are incredible, and the fact that there is such a huge psychological and cognitive difference between age 3 and age 4 capabilities is...
  • Commented on The Definition of Beauty
    I find it interesting in New Zealand that men get tattoos to signify their wealth. In the US, tattoos are usually a sign of rebellion and a "rock'n'roll" side, that doesn't necessarily allude to money, so I think that these...
  • Commented on Say YES to the Dress
    Good post. I also saw an episode where one bride had not even met her groom yet, surprisingly. They met online and decided to "take the plunge" and get married; their wedding day was the first time they met. This...
  • Commented on YOLO: You only learn once
    Very interesting, and you're right, I did gravitate to your post because of the "YOLO" title. Impulse decisions and self control is a an interesting topic, and is something I wonder is due to in part by nature or nurture,...
  • Commented on Say What?
    I find myself to be more exaggerated over texting than I would be in normal conversation, or in an email or Facebook IM. I'm not sure why that is, but there is a certain ambiguity that happens over texting, as...
  • Posted Hunger Games to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    More and more of Americans are becoming conscious of what they put into their body, and as a result, how their bodies look and react to these food intake changes. Often, quick fad diets are the most popular way...
  • Commented on Cat Speak: Beyond the Lolcat
    I can relate to this blog post, as a cat owner, it was very interesting! One of our cats passed away last year and our other cat is now picking up different verbal cues, she's much more vocal, attentive, and...
  • Commented on Eliciting Emotions Through Advertisement
    Good blog post, and I liked how you explained the mental factors that go into the world of advertisting (such as the unconditioned stimulus paired with the conditioned stimulus--cigarettes). This technique holds true for all of advertising in my eyes,...
  • Commented on Alzheimers.
    Alzheimer's seems to be a hot topic; I remember reading that the government has spent upwards of billions of dollars on Alzheimer's research but like in The Rise of the Planet of the Apes, there isn't a quick-fix to it....
  • Commented on Our Brain is Like a ... Palace.
    This is an interesting memory method, and something that I was never taught. Because of this, I'm not sure it would prove useful for me; I tend to just use the standard "repetition" method of memorization. One method I did...
  • Commented on Where did I put that?
    Great blog; it looks like Alzheimer's is a hot topic! I'm wondering what goes first in Alzheimer's/dementia--old information or new information? I read in our book that a person suffering from Alzheimer's will forget their grand children's name before their...
  • Commented on "Do you think our love can make miracles?" -Allie (The Notebook)
    Alzheimer's disease is a very real and painful illness that usually shows signs around the age of 65. In my case, this topic hits close to home as my aunt suffered from it and passed away at the age 62;...
  • Commented on "That is so cool, Whale!"
    The point you brought up about observation is an interesting one. While I do agree with you, that observation is an integral part of the training process, I also think that some method of reinforcement, such as partial reinforcement, is...
  • Commented on Out-of-Body Experiences and The Ghost Behind You
    I know that whenever I feel like there is someone behind me or there is a "ghostly-figure", it is usually after I have watched a scary film, or it is very late at night (past 2am). I think it has...
  • Posted Shopping for Perfection to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Advertisements are everywhere. From the moment you hit snooze on your alarm clock, to the time when you lay your head back down on your pillow you have have probably seen close to 3,000 advertisements--in one day! More specifically, these...
  • Commented on Supertasters
    Great, well-written article! I found this part interesting: "that female supertasters in their 40's were 20% thinner than non-tasters". It would make sense that being able to have hyper-sensitive taste buds would defer them from eating sweets or salty foods,...
  • Commented on Supertasters
  • Commented on Like Father Like Son...Kinda?
    The nature nurture debate can easily be studied, but we must acknowledge if these tests are reliable or valid. In the case of the two twins (twin studies) that were separated at birth, and were reunited decades later with parallel...
  • Commented on The Ames Room Illusion
    The Ames Room illusion, among others, is a great depiction as to how our mind is wired based on varying degrees of stimuli. Your video and example of LOTR accurately represent this illusion, parallel to the Necker Cube in regards...
  • Commented on What Adults Can't Hear..Are the rumors true?
    It is an odd thing to wonder and the inspect--I've wondered the same thing about elderly and hearing loss and always attributed it to a degeneration with the ear tunnel, etc, which it is....
  • Commented on How Much is too Much? Caffeine's Effect on the body
    Just like any other food group, caffeine is fine--in moderation. Like you said, "over-dosing" on caffeine can wreaks havoc on your blood sugar, causing crashes. In extreme cases caffeine can cause anxiety, tremor, insomnia, so it's best to just limit...
  • Commented on Wait I can get away with only 15 minutes a day??
    Interesting articles you posted. I was never under the impression that one had to exercise for 60 minutes straight to lead a healthy lifestyle, however. I do agree with your sources, which say that only 15 minutes of semi-vigorous activity...
  • Commented on Baseball Superstion: real or fiction?
    Good insight and real-life examples on superstition. Keeping with the theme of baseball, the book also highlights an example of illusory correlation with Wade Boggs, a baseball player who ate chicken before every game, believing that it made him pitch...
  • Commented on Blog 2: On Dropping Out of School and Becoming a Gypsy
    Engaging and perplexing post! Pseudoscience definitely is appealing to us, for the mere fact of making sense and taking some sort of "control" of the otherwise unconnected occurrences throughout the day. This illusory correlation, as you mentioned, far outweighs the...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from pale0084

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page