herti007

• Commented on Who else wants to major in Psychology!?!?
    While I agree that Psychology is interesting and has useful factoids to apply to your daily life, that doesn't mean math and writing won't help you in the future. Writing is something necessary by virtually every profession (who doesn't write...
  • Commented on Chunkinggg
    Chunking is definitely a useful memorization tool, but its possible you are slightly confused. You say that you will use chunking to help memorize phone numbers; however the reason phone numbers are 3 sets of data in the first place...
  • Commented on Social Psychology in Groups (Diffusion of Responsibility & Social Loafing)
    Good post. This is especially interesting to me because I am also a marketing major. I think there is a neat little connection to be made here within psychological topics: the reason it is best for one to come up...
  • Commented on Learning, behavior and EMOTIONS
    I do agree that trying to answer the question, "what makes him that way?" is one of the most interesting parts of psychology. However, the keyword there is trying. Because nature and nurture both have strong influences on the makeup...
  • Commented on Frustration and the Fixed Mindset
    Very good points. I have to admit I'm a little upset though, as while I was reading this post I thought that exact Einstein article was a perfect fit to summarize it! That being said, I think its possible you...
  • Posted Picking Up Chicks to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    There are several things from this psychology course that I am almost certain to remember. The funny part about the memories is that they will all have one common theme: gaining and maintaining the attraction/ affection of women. An example...
  • Commented on Contact Comfort
    I believe that yes, physical touch and human interactions are necessary for good health and have additional benefits. As a comparison, take someone who is held in solitary confinement. These people tend to go "off the handle" so to speak...
  • Commented on Baumrind's Parenting Styles
    I don't think you can necessarily make the claim that one parenting style is outright "better" than any of the others. Considering a child well-raised is a subjective measure that is measured differently by multiple cultures. For example, success can...
  • Commented on Relationships: how we meet our better half
    Something I have found to affect what one wants in a potential partner is, ironically, their past partner. For example, when someone dates a girl who is extremely needy, if he finds he dislikes this trait he will likely switch...
  • Commented on Popular Culture on: Love and Marriage
    While media has allowed sexuality to spread wider and become more of a norm in our society, that doesn't necessarily mean that our society has different values, but birth control and sexual education are more advanced than ever before. This...
  • Commented on Do Ask, Do Tell: An encouragement for freedom of expression and sexual orientation in the military
    I am in the same boat as you are, as a heterosexual with no problem with those who choose to express their homosexuality. However, that doesn't make your opinion flawless. Marines have claimed that combat is the closest that two...
  • Posted Falsifiability of Morality to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Lawrence Kohlberg's thoughts on morality had many facets, including his scheme of moral development. According to Kohlberg, the three levels of morality are preconventional morality, conventional morality, and postconventional morality. While Kohlberg received more than his fair share of criticism...
  • Commented on Bandura: The Bobo Beater
    Good post, you bring up a lot of good points. I find it very interesting how much people rely on learning through imitation. It's a curious topic, and one can't help but wonder how a person would change their attitudes...
  • Commented on Do you know what is Alzheimer Disease?
    Alzheimer's is an incurable disease that increases in likelihood as one ages and is the decay of many crucial elements to human life. This makes me wonder: is Alzheimer's inevitable? If anything has been learned throughout history, it is that...
  • Commented on Harry Harlow's loving monkeys
    Excellent post. This research is very interesting, and goes along with a theme I have noticed throughout psychology: a lot of times what we think is our own personal reaction to something is actually just our instincts taking over. For...
  • Commented on So Imprinting Isn't Completely Ridiculous?
    While imprinting has, in fact, proven to be real, that doesn't necessary make it a realistic element of the novel. Imprinting is nature's intuition, allowing baby animals to effectively identify their parents. This does not appear the case in Twilight,...
  • Commented on Oh where do I go, where do I go?
    While the Prospect Theory is generally a universal rule regarding how people make decisions, there are variations on how people make their judgments given the same criterion. For example, while all decisions are made regarding risk/reward, some people prefer taking...
  • Posted It's a bird... it's a plane... it's a super-taster! to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    (Even super-tasters would enjoy this super food!) I believe that the reason these "super-senses" exist, such as insects' vision, dogs' olfactory sense, etc. is to permit their survival. For example, insects eternally need to be on high alert due...
  • Commented on MDMA - Worth it for Psychotherapy?
    Extremely interesting research. I'm especially intrigued by your question, "Should we start prescribing MDMA as a pharmaceutical anti-anxiety prescription?" I believe further research is necessary to answer this question. If, for instance, we find that a certain chemical balance is...
  • Commented on Summary of Chapter 7
    The relationship between long-term and short-term memory is definitely an interesting one. A question I believe to be worth research is: "At what point does short-term memory become saved in the long-term part of are brains?" For example, if one...
  • Commented on Baseball Superstion: real or fiction?
    Being an "alpha-male," even in female athletics, contributes to success at a sport. If one does not believe they are good, or the best, their actions will generally follow. These superstitions that all-star athletes follow may not correlate directly with...
  • Commented on Chapter 15 Psychological Disorders
    According to your post, the authors of the textbook try to see whether or not suicide victims actually wanted the outcome of death. To me, this is unwise. While evaluating the brain can lead to finding many cause-and-effect relationships based...
  • Commented on The Brain: The Communicator
    The crazy thing about brains is how nature organically spawned something so advanced. If an entire team of the smartest people across the globe to re-create the brain--essentially a supercomputer that constantly multitasks at breakneck speeds and can last upwards...
  • Posted Caught in Limbo? (Chapter 5) to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    This section brushes on the topic of sleep, and any disorders we may have that accompany it. There are many references to both theories on dreaming and our slips between consciousness and unconsciousness within them. The topic that epitomizes...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from herti007

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page