zhuxx523

• Commented on Training Animals
    I recently saw this music video, which involves complex dog interaction with the musicians: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHlJODYBLKs&feature=related I wonder how they used conditioning to train the dogs to do such complex procedures, as it seems hard to communicate to the dogs to...
  • Commented on Pinocchio Response
    I always feel fishy when I hear of the polygraph test. I feel the test will always be less than reliable due to the inability of a machine to tell whether the subject is nervous because of lying or because...
  • Commented on The Puzzling Nature of Cause and Effect
    I think the most important part of the section on nature vs. nurture is simply that the debate can't be conclusively answered. There is no way to determine an exact portion of our lives that are determined by nature or...
  • Commented on Chapter 14: Personality
    I was rethinking the section about the signatures of the presidential candidates, and it seems like a lot of the speculation could just be from confirmation bias. Due to the plethora of characteristics each presidential candidate has, a signature expert...
  • Commented on Persuasion Techniques of the Obama Campaign
    This kind of analysis is really interesting, as often these advertisements have so many layers of persuasion and thought put into them. For example, for just the advertisement above, I bet there was considerable thought put into the background color,...
  • Commented on Final Entry: Memory
    I also found the self-modifying memory to be quite interesting. For example, a lot of times, I will do or see something for the first time. Then afterwards, if I think about if I've done or seen it before, I...
  • Commented on Final Blog: Free Will
    It's interesting that you would mention to "Listen to your body, mind, and heart once in awhile". It almost seems counter-intuitive to the notion of free will since listening to those rather than the conscious seems to suggest that the...
  • Posted Final Blog: The Consciousness to Wednesday Wanderings
    Perhaps the most striking concept talked about in Psychology 1001 was the segments about the self-consciousness. Despite the countless psychologists and philosophers who have investigated the source, nature, and workings of the consciousness, none have really made too many conclusive...
  • Posted Girls are Bad at Math. How Studies with this Conclusion May be Methodologically Flawed. to Wednesday Wanderings
    Intelligence-based differences in gender has always been a much debated and speculated topic in psychology. A particularly popular theory that has emerged based on modern research is the idea that different genders have different intellectual differences in specific area....
  • Commented on Being tricked by your own brain!?
    Related to this topic, I was wondering if this phenomenon also influenced the scenic memory of people who have photographic memory. Is there something special about their brain that perfectly preserves the image, or can further retrieval of the memory...
  • Commented on Bilingual Kids
    As a bilingual child fluent in both Chinese and English, I can attest to the fact that bilingual education is often confusing. Sometimes when I was little, I would mean to speak in one language but accidentally say it in...
  • Commented on Training Animals
    Now that I've learned more about animal conditioning, I feel like I know a lot more about raising a pet. For example, now I know that strengthening behavior is much more effective than punishing, as it would be hard for...
  • Commented on Consciousness and Free Will: Real, Fake, or Irrelevant?
    By the way, here is the link to the video mentioned in my blog post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Biv_8xjj8E&feature=player_embedded...
  • Commented on Remote Controls- Can You Push the Right Button?
    Remote-makers should really read some of these suggestions. While trying to make their remotes look sleek and cool, they have been cutting back on their accessibility. Another thing that remotes seem to ignore is the shape of our hands. The...
  • Commented on TeenBuzz: What's the buzz about?
    It's really interesting just how high our hearing can hear. I wonder how this kind of sense came to develop. Evolution-wise, I don't really see anything that would require me to hear as high as that last pitch in the...
  • Commented on Imagine Taking as Much Shit As Your Car
    This is a really interesting advertisement. However, I don't actually find it very effective, at least on me. I feel this is due primarily to two reasons: First, I don't think most people think of their cars as a feeling...
  • Posted Consciousness and Free Will: Real, Fake, or Irrelevant? to Wednesday Wanderings
              From the ancient Greek philosophers of Socrates and Plato, the historical European philosophers of Kant and Locke, to modern psychologists of the likes of Marcus de Sautoy, there's always been a fascination with the human condition...
  • Commented on Is Free Will an Illusion?
    This is a really interesting question about our existence and ontology, and I used to discuss this question alot in high school on the debate team. Ultimately, I don't think it is really possible for any of us to determine...
  • Commented on CAFFEINE!!! Is it good of bad for you?
    I really liked how this blog entry talked about both good and bad of caffeine instead of taking one side as many articles do. I totally agree that caffeine can have great effects if used moderately from my personal experience....
  • Posted Chapter 16: Psychological and Biological Treatments to Wednesday Wanderings
    Chapter 16 focuses on the application of many of the psychological studies in real life through multiple kinds of treatments. While previous chapters mostly focused on the studies of different psychological theories or figures, this topic talks about the...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from zhuxx523

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page