nemze007

• Commented on Final Blog: Evolutionary Theory
    I am an evolution NUTCASE, and since my major is in child psychology (a field where nurture has had less time to interfere with the psyche) I also find the topic of evolutionary psychology to be quite fascinating, especially in...
  • Commented on Drugs are Bad
    Don't forget that people should be treated in an environment similar to the one they face addiction in. Taking someone to a safe, clean place to treat them has a huge impact on their behavior....
  • Commented on Final Blog: The Big FIve
    I remember taking the test and thinking my neuroticism score was very low, and that the test must be BS. Then the teacher announced that the score was actually reversed, and the whole class started talking. I guess I wasn't...
  • Commented on Final Blog!
    1. I love XKCD 2. Causation will always imply correlation, but correlation does not imply causation. I like to think of correlation as a rectangle and causation as the square: All squares are rectangles. Then again, one event can ALWAYS...
  • Commented on What I Will Remember From Psych 1001: When Sweet Children Become Conniving Monsters
    After watching this video my mom assured me I was the little smartass at the end in the red PJs. This kid is so good at arguing at his very young age he must be a genius. In child psych...
  • Commented on Fundamental Attribution Error
    The fundamental attribution error (FAE) is one of those things I learned about that I did not know existed, because I've never observed it or thought about it. I live very much so "in the moment," so first impressions don't...
  • Commented on Remembering Psychology
    I definitely tend to remember the child psych stuff more too, as it falls within my major. What really interests me is that Piaget got it wrong, and that children more gradually develop than the sudden bursts he suggested. It...
  • Commented on Girls are Bad at Math. How Studies with this Conclusion May be Methodologically Flawed.
    One thing that always bothers me is the claim that men and women are mentally the same. With such drastic differences in genetic expression, the claim that our minds must work exactly the same way is totally bogus! While gender...
  • Commented on The Paris Syndrome
    The Japanese are a very interesting people with an interesting culture. In Japan, you cannot be too polite. I translated some Japanese text today (with google translate!) and found 2 "thank you"s in the same sentence, and then a thank...
  • Commented on Emotions and Bombs
    But does our moral reasoning change when we know more about the person? If people think she's a nice lady, and they've gotten to know her, then might their knowledge of her behavior impact their reasoning, outside of their emotional...
  • Commented on Gender Testing in Sports
    This begs a similar question: How to treat people with disabilities in sports. Running prosthetic are now so good that they barely impede the runner, if at all. Since these prosthetics are made out of lightweight titanium, they actually give...
  • Posted What a long, strange trip it's not yet been to Wednesday Wanderings
    As a Child Psychology major, it is hard to place more importance on one aspect of psychology over another. So much of what I have read in the text and heard in lecture applies to my major in one way...
  • Posted Morality? I don't need no stinkin' morality! to Wednesday Wanderings
    I just read about Lawrence Kohlberg's morality stuff, and this guy really pushes my buttons. Morality is COMPLETELY subjective. What is considered moral in one culture may be completely immoral in another, and things that an "enlightened" society think of...
  • Commented on The Studious Life of a Polyglot
    Holy crap, this is a DAILY routine? The sheer amount of work put into maintaining so many languages is stupifying. What makes it so hard to remember all this stuff that he can't just learn it and forget it? Usually...
  • Commented on Bilingual Kids
    As long as that second language isn't ENGLISH. A lot of the bilingual proponents want children to learn Mexican. I see no reason why Mexican needs to be taught in this country. My ancestors knew Norsk, Deutsch, and Gaelic. I...
  • Commented on Being tricked by your own brain!?
    I get this all the time when thinking about my early childhood. Your parents tell you stories, and you imagine it, and later on it seems almost like you remember it. But I know that I am only remembering the...
  • Commented on Consciousness and Free Will: Real, Fake, or Irrelevant?
    Our past and the present stimuli predict what we will do, without a doubt. People's responses can usually be very accurately predicted. But calling this a lack of free will is a gross error of logic. People are predictable because...
  • Commented on The Asperger's Controversy
    my first serious girlfriend had autism. Of course, when I was dating her, we called it Aspergers, but once we broke up I started calling it autism XD. The label of autism can be a bit cruel, at times, but...
  • Commented on Chapter 11: Emotion and Motivation
    Interesting. I wonder how the chapter handles the complexity of emotions, and if it relates those emotions to animals as well. For instance, I consider love to be the simplest emotion, and the one experienced by the largest number of...
  • Commented on Ch 15: Psychological Disorders
    I think that rather than relating mental illness with violence we really out to be more specific with which illness we are talking about, because I know some illnesses are more prone to violence than others, like those with antisocial...
  • Commented on Pitt-bulls will certainly kill you! ..... Or will they?
    I think that, as a larger dog and certainly one that is well built (that neck!), Pit-Bulls know that they are strong. When a little Chihuahua goes ballistic and attacks, no one is going to care; people might even laugh...
  • Commented on Is Free Will an Illusion?
    I'm not entirely sure why free will and determinism are always at odds with one another. Just because I can very accurately predict someone's response to me trying to give them $100 does not mean they didn't have the choice...
  • Posted Born this way? to Wednesday Wanderings
    People will readily blame nature for sexuality, yet people almost universally want to blame nurture for differences in intelligence. Evidence from the Minnesota Study of Twins Reared Apart would disagree with such an assertion. Twins reared apart show remarkably similar...
  • Posted Ch 6: Learning and stuff to Wednesday Wanderings
    Learning is a fascinating process that varies from the rather simplistic classical conditioning seen in many organisms to more complex forms of learning, such as observational or insight learning, which require a degree of thinking on behalf of the...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from nemze007

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page