Mpedersen

• Posted #5 instead of group misc - makeup to PSY 1001 Section 18 Spring 2012
    Eating disorders I find fascinating, because not only are they something that goes against our very need for survival, they seem to be extremely prevalent in a country that also mirrors extreme obesity, yet the causes for the two are...
  • Posted Blog #3 Sibling Order to PSY 1001 Section 18 Spring 2012
    I researched some info on birthing order that I found extremely accurate. I was an only child for 11 years and feel very connected to the leadership and extremely conscious and caregiver attitude that is generally given to first born....
  • Posted Blog #4 How Psych helps us to PSY 1001 Section 18 Spring 2012
    I have noticed that psychology was absolutely right in the rule of applying first dates with intensified emotions and linking those emotions with the person that happened to be with you at the time. I was once on a date...
  • Posted Brokeback to Queer Cinema
    I think that Brokeback for me was my favorite of the films that we watched. There was not only great cinematic concepts, while examining this film I felt that there was so much done that created a multifaceted film...
  • Posted Brokeback to Queer Cinema
    I think that there are many instances to apply a non-queer, heteronormative lens, there of course are many possibilities you could point to. However, through Macuso's lens, there are several points that are given as a queer film. I would...
  • Commented on Final Project
    YES I think this is perfect!...
  • Posted Controversial to Queer Cinema
    I am on board with the controversial as well! Anyone want to do a look at the appearance of either assumed or closeted roles in Television and Cinema?...
  • Commented on From sissy to gay best friend
    YOUR TITLE SAYS IT ALL! I argue that it might not be as a-sexual or neutral sexuall as represented as you state. However, your points are spot on in the sense that we as a culture have made an acceptable...
  • Commented on Visibility at Any Cost
    I agree with you in sense that there are still some hard felt stereotypes in the last ten years. There are definitely better examples now than previous. We have far too few movies that have gays as main characters but...
  • Commented on The Birdcage
    And this is one of my problems. I will state I am gay to save any very negative connotations to my statements. But even though I can understand that in families of GLBT parents that there may in fact be...
  • Commented on The Birdcage
    And this is one of my problems. I understand that in families of GLBT parents that there may in fact be children that they wish for heterosexual parents sometimes, it would be naive to say otherwise. However the movie itself...
  • Commented on Birdcage
    I too have great uneasiness because of the film. Despite loving Robin Williams, and it being funny, I found it funny because it was an embarrassing representation done by heterosexual males. I thought that by having the parallel to heterosexual...
  • Commented on Borderline Offensive
    I really enjoyed you post! It gave a positive if not neutral approach to normalcy of declining sexual encounters as we age in relationships. The film definitely was definitely able to relate to a wide range of audiences through this,...
  • Commented on Borderline Offensive
  • Commented on Borderline Offensive
  • Commented on Trading Sex for Comfort
    I think this is well put. I have issues especially with The Birdcage particularly in its use of blatant stereotypes that retain a heterosexual existence. By using straight characters, however given a few chuckles here and there, was rather offensive,...
  • Commented on Borderline Offensive
  • Posted The Kids... ok at best to Queer Cinema
    Why was the guy in this movie here to be the savior? I was uncomfortably with this blatant use of intersection in the movie. The film had some sense of realness, in the sense that not all marriages and families...
  • Commented on Uncoventional beauty
    I appreciate that you discuss how the terms can both have negative implications to them. Before my sophomore year starting GLBT classes and CSCL classes I had never heard of queer in a positive light unless in forms in TV...
  • Commented on FEMALE TROUBLEEEE
    It was also a great refreshing change of pace that it felt this movie was boundary less with the conventions it was set up against. I agree that the use of modern contemporaries that were challenged was definitely cool to...
  • Commented on Queer(?) Cinema
    I found your view of Heavenly Creatures very interesting. I think that as far as face value that it the two leads did not detract but that the overall plot of the movie was contrived and I agree forced feeling...
  • Commented on Heavenly Creatures- Being Queer plays a role???
    I thoroughly enjoyed your view point on the straight/queer role reversals in regards to acting. I think that there are often misconceptions on both sides that may or may not translate through acting but in general I feel that the...
  • Posted Queer Quota to Queer Cinema
    I do not feel that there is a detraction from the "queer quota" because the two leads do not identify as lesbian. However, I do feel that out of the millions of queer identified individuals that they couldn't find two...
  • Posted Birdcage to Queer Cinema
    While I do agree with Butler that we as individuals are performing genders all the time, I would disagree that it is to imitate heterosexuality. Because one may identity as a masculine or effeminate individual and have partners that exude...
  • Posted Celluloid Closet to Queer Cinema
    The queer stereotypes in classic hollywood present themselves in the forms of "the sissy" and the "spinster" or women that is older and clearly a representation of corruption, especially in other younger women. Over time I would argue that they...
  • Posted Female Trouble to Queer Cinema
    The representations of "fat" or excess is extremely overstated in Female Trouble. The representations of the body, personalities, voice, extremes in other various ways, all point to attributes that culturally and socially may not necessarily always be the "standard"form...
  • Posted Blog 2 to PSY 1001 Section 18 Spring 2012
    The concept of research methods for me was actually interesting much more interesting than the headlining topic would suggest. The idea that an experiment is just as much a reflection of a topic trying to be addressed as the ways...
  • Posted Emotion and Motivation to PSY 1001 Section 18 Spring 2012
    This chapter covered vast topics from eating disorders, sexuality and drive for sex, as well as attraction and friendship. I found this to be the most fascinating chapter because in itself these topics in my opinion are some that the...
  • Commented on I like queers
    I really enjoyed this post. After reading several other responses I do not feel that other blogs completely understand the inclusions that are given to the word queer, and instead focus on a scale of ranging from gay-to-straight and sometimes...
  • Commented on Queer or not Queer? No labels please
    I agree with you as far as identity labels themselves have limitations. However I have to agree with nels6731 that in the example provided I think one could go even further to make your scale even more encompassing. In your...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Mpedersen

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page