hulls014

• Posted Biological Psychology & Memory - Alzheimer's to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    I have always found biology and memory very fascinating, this could be because my Grandfather died of Alzheimer's and I always wanted to understand how the brain, this amazing organ, could fail on someone. According to Lilienfeld, "The memory loss...
  • Commented on Pro-Anorexia as a Dieting Method
    This did not really surprise me. Unfortunately when I was in high school I tried to restrict me diet and became obsessive about writing down what I had eaten and the number of calories I burned. I would sometime seek...
  • Commented on Double Trouble
    I find that having a visual while learning my Spanish vocabulary was very important. In my communication class, I learned that memory is strongly tied to smell. Have you ever smelled somethings distinct and had a very vivid memory pop...
  • Commented on The Importance of Understanding Personality
    I also find attachment theory really interesting! Ever since learning attachment theory, first in a class called Intimate Relationships and then in this class, I have been able to look at my relationships differently. Definitely something to remember in the...
  • Posted Should IQ Tests be Used to Hire Employees? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Imagine yourself in this situation: You work in the human resources department of a large corporation. A proposal has been made to move to a hiring process for managers and executives based exclusively on IQ test scores, and you are...
  • Posted Problem Solving Obstacles and Strategies to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    With all the tests and homework we students get during our years in college, it can be hard to manage the most effective way to solve a problem. Many of us encounter obstacles in problem solving. Our textbook gives...
  • Posted Drug Addiction and Compensatory Response to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    The psychology subject I think I'll remember most about five years from now would probably the various times we covered drug addiction. I never understood how or why people got addicted to drugs. I thought it was really interesting how...
  • Posted First Borns are the Leaders, Babies of the Families the "Jokesters"? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    In this video, the author talks about his theory behind birth order. In sum, he said that the first born children tend to be more reliable, conscientious, list makers, don't like surprises, etc. while the youngest in the family...
  • Commented on Beauty Standards as Reflection of the Society
    This post reminds me of a movie I once saw called Desert Flower, which is about a woman from somewhere in Africa (I know Africa is a large place, I just cannot remember exactly where). In the nomatic village that...
  • Commented on Unconsciously Immoral?
    According to the textbook, "Much of the time, id, ego, and superego interact harmoniously, much like a chamber music trio playing in perfect synchrony." Therefore, I think that there is probably less collision between the id, ego, and superego than...
  • Commented on Does nothing really taste as good as skinny looks?
    Here is a link to some info I found on the causes of eating disorders: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/nedaDir/files/documents/handouts/WhatCaus.pdf I do not know exactly what causes eating disorders, but I think it is different for everyone. When I was a freshman in high...
  • Commented on Sorry, I don't speak English.
    I am a native English speaker and in high school and in my freshman year of college I took Spanish. I found that Spanish was very easy to learn because of it's similarity to English. I can still put together...
  • Commented on Repetition and Memory
    I think that we may also be more likely to remember an old friend's phone number because when we were young we probably did not have a cell phone, so we had to dial it in order to call them....
  • Posted Researchers Implant False Memories to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    In an interesting story I found online, Alan Alda, who plays Hawkeye in M*A*S*H, goes to the University of California, Irvine to do research on memory for an upcoming TV show. Here he took a tour of the facility...
  • Commented on If Athletes can smoke, so can we.
    I am always surprised when I see older ads. It was amazing how they marketed things. Hopefully today there are restrictions on advertising that help protect people from being influenced by smart advertisers into doing something that can harm them....
  • Commented on Dead to the World; All at Once
    See comment below... His mother was still allowed to drive. I haven't heard any stories about anyone getting hurt. She had fallen asleep once or twice at the wheel, but quickly snapped awake. Would it really be fair to say...
    I have some personal experience with this strange, potentially dangerous, (and funny) disorder. My boyfriend's mom has it and she has been known to randomly fall asleep. One of first few times I met my boyfriend's mother I saw her...
  • Commented on Inattentional Blindness
    People seem to learn that if they see a musician playing in a public place, like a metro station, that this person must be looking for money, not a good musician, or more. We don't expect to see a world-class...
  • Posted Coping with Stress in College to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    As college students, we are all prone to the very stressful life of a student- managing a full course load, possibly working to pay for the increasingly expensive tuition, and, hopefully, enjoying a social life. According to a recent survey...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from hulls014