odde0051

• Posted Which lineup is better? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    To make up for missing this week's discussion session about research I looked into some current research that is going on in the field of psychology. One thing I thought was very interesting is the current research going on regarding...
  • Posted Dealing with anxiety-stricken parents to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Throughout all that I have learned so far in psychology, one topic stands out that is very relevant to my family and myself. Both of my parents suffer from anxiety. My father suffers infrequent panic attacks in which he usually...
  • Commented on The Young Guns
    I think that you are completely right in saying that the differences in children of a certain birth order are probably not genetic. I especially agree with your descriptions of why the oldest children often strive for achievement and the...
  • Commented on Bridesmaids- the Irish and the American collide.
    I just watched this movie Friday so it is fresh in my mind and I definitely see the three principles that guide attraction now that you mention them. I think that these principles are probably apparent in most romantic movies...
  • Commented on Unconsciously Immoral?
    I think that the angel and devil analogy is really great for displaying this relationship. Often our wants and needs that seem urgent to us aren't appropriate at the time. These urges are like the devil and being patient or...
  • Commented on Personality tests galore
    I definitely agree that this test might not be completely accurate when measuring a given person's level of prejudice. I also took the test and my results said that I had a slightly more automatic response to African Americans. I...
  • Commented on Who's your daddy?
    I definitely agree that a father often plays an important role in the development of a child. I also believe that two parent households are ideal settings for raising children. Although my father has a presence in my life, I,...
  • Commented on What Divorce Does to Kids
    I myself am a product of divorce and I believe many of my experience with divorce and living between two different homes shaped much of who I am, but I haven't experienced many negative effects that resulted from this lifestyle....
  • Commented on Beauty: Is it Really in the Eye of the Beholder?
    I think this was a very interesting post and I really enjoyed how you compared some of the beauty rituals across cultures. Some of these practices really are strange ways to obtain beauty, not only in other cultures but in...
  • Commented on Does nothing really taste as good as skinny looks?
    I agree that there are many possible causes of eating disorders and believe that there is no way to know for sure. I think that it is often caused by a combination of several factors such as the personality trait...
  • Commented on Homosexuals; should they be allowed to donate blood?
    I think that this is absolutely appalling! It is ridiculous that sexual orientation for men is even considered in blood drives at all. I think if the blood is tested for HIV and AIDS before being donated then sexual orientation...
  • Commented on And Let There Be Light! Ho Ho Ho
    This post is very interesting and relevant to all of us living in dorms. Although I'm not as creative as you or the person who brilliantly created the dorm version of grilled cheese, I do often use my desk drawer...
  • Commented on Here, Eat this tapeworm.
    I am so surprised that people actually do this! I cannot even imagine how desperate to lose weight you would have to be to ingest parasites. This is just crazy! What I am wondering is how people get rid of...
  • Posted Deadly Thin to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    When reading the part in chapter 11 of the textbook that describes eating disorders, I couldn't help but think instantly of an episode of Dr. Phil that I had previously watched. The episode is called "Deadly Thin" and I've attached...
  • Commented on otnemeM
    I haven't seen this movie, but it does sound like it may not be an accurate model of anterograde amnesia. I would have not even noticed that it wasn't accurate if you hadn't mentioned Clive Wearing's case of anterograde amnesia....
  • Commented on Killer Math Problems
    I have a similar experience in the calculus courses I have taken. There are many specific ways of solving different types of problems. I found that sometimes this was helpful, especially when there were two ways to solve a single...
  • Commented on Double Trouble
    I think that using images when learning a second language can be really helpful for many people. It allows you to use a deeper level of processing when learning new vocabulary. For me, however, this method is not as useful...
  • Posted Do Animals Talk? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    I've researched a few forms of animal communication and happened upon some very interesting and unexpected forms of communication between animals. The most shocking to me is that ants communicate using chemicals. Depending on the species, ants can release between...
  • Commented on If Athletes can smoke, so can we.
    Ads like these are definitely a huge reason so many people smoked in the past without realizing the negative health effects involved. Even today, I have seen quite a few magazine ads that make smoking look almost glamourous. Although these...
  • Commented on alzheimer's...it happens to the best of us
    I can definitely relate because my grandma had an undiagnosed form of dementia that was extremely similar to Alzheimer's disease. She would often forget who my mother (her daughter) was but always remembered me. I know that was really disappointing...
  • Commented on You can train a fish?
    Wow this is very surprising to me! I didn't think fish could be trained because I have heard a few times that fish only remember things for a few seconds. This video really proved me wrong! In order to participate...
  • Commented on Wait...how did it happen again?
    I can't come up with any similar false memories of my own but it definitely makes sense that you would have created this false memory. Because a broken bone is usually extremely painful for most people, it would be easy...
  • Posted Sidewalk Illusions to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Ever since one of my high school art teachers showed my class images of sidewalk art, I've been fascinated with the concept. The artists who use the sidewalk rather than a canvas create illusions using depth. The picture below is...
  • Commented on Hey nice bracelet. Can you really jump higher?
    I think this is a great example of the placebo effect. I have a few friends who had worn these bracelets and really did believe in their effects. I had been skeptical all along, but I now know that these...
  • Commented on Gender Neutral - Sasha Laxton Defies Stereotypes
    I think this is a very interesting way to raise a child. Generally, gender plays a large role in shaping a child's preferences and personality. Because Sasha was raised as gender-neutral, he seems to have a mixture of the stereotypical...
  • Posted Blog Entry 1 - Chapter 6 to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    The information in chapter 6 is all about learning and classical conditioning. I found it really interesting how classical conditioning is apparent in our everyday lives. Advertisers use classical conditioning in ads to get us to buy their products. Images...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from odde0051