joh09617

• Posted Can certain pills improve our memories? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Make up blog assignment for the discussion on Memory. Every year, Americans spend millions of dollars on "smart pills" in hopes of improving their memory. But do these pills really work? Can they help you remember where you put your...
  • Commented on Liar Liar
    Sadly, some people are really good at lying and deceiving others. I am NOT one of those people. I think it's pretty obvious to tell when I'm lying; generally, my cheeks become very red, my hands begin to shake slightly,...
  • Commented on Here, Eat this tapeworm.
    This is utterly disgusting. But, hey, people are weird, and some place so much importance on appearance that they will do anything to "look great," even if it is hazardous to their health. As you mentioned in your original post,...
  • Commented on Get "noticeably different skin!" Or not...
    In terms of marketing, I think Proactiv does an excellent job. As we learned in the textbook and discussion, advertisers use a form of classical conditioning, known as higher-order conditioning, to pair the product they are trying to sell with...
  • Commented on Chp. 5 Consciousness
    I have also heard that you can influence whether or not you have a lucid dream. For example, I heard that if you stay awake for more than 24 hours and then fall asleep, you're more likely to have a...
  • Commented on An Ethical Dilemma that We Must Address
    I would also highly recommend watching Gattaca or reading the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley--I'm sure you will find them intriguing as they both deal with gene manipulation. While manipulating genes to prevent people from contracting disease might...
  • Commented on Billy Madison
    What an excellent character to apply the Big 5 to! I agree with most of your analysis, but I would argue that Billy scores low in the agreeableness category. While Billy does try to have fun--and who doesn't love fun,...
  • Commented on Stupid Intelligence
    I think the SAT/ACT tests are a good measure of how well a person will do at a university. I mean, let's be honest, schools don't really care whether or not you're street smart; you're not going to college to...
  • Posted Classical Conditioning As It Pertains to Business to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    In five years from now, I will most likely remember the concept of classical conditioning--especially as it pertains to business--from PSY 1001. Advertising accounts for a large percentage of business today. What do you do when you have a product...
  • Commented on What Divorce Does to Kids
    I think that the conflict between parents does play a role, but I believe that the child's temperament plays a larger one. Unfortunately, my parents decided to get a divorce the summer before my freshman year of high school. It...
  • Commented on Does money buy happiness?
    While I mostly agree with you, I would say that money does play a role, albeit a small one, when it comes to finding happiness. I mean, if you were homeless and had to beg others for food, and had...
  • Commented on The best parenting styles
    Perhaps you and your brother are different because your parents' parenting style has changed over the years. I have three siblings--two sisters (both older) and a twin brother. When my eldest sister was a teenager, my parents were pretty strict--not...
  • Commented on Not All Group Members are Lazy
    Communication and a group's overall success go hand in hand. Earlier this semester, I was assigned a group project in one of my classes that required us to redesign a coffee cup and give a presentation at the end. One...
  • Commented on Kohlberg's Moral Dilemmas--Breaking Bad
    It's really difficult to say whether or not this is morally right. What he is doing is highly illegal, but he is doing it for all the right reasons--to ensure that his family does not sink in a sea of...
  • Commented on Double Trouble
    I only wish I could speak another language, and I am always so fascinated by those who can. How do they do it?! Learning a language when you're older is extremely difficult. I think that in order for me to...
  • Posted Applying the Big Five to "Hannibal the Cannibal" to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Hannibal Lecter--the brilliant psychiatrist/cannibalistic serial killer from Thomas Harris's series of horror novels--is a very vivid character who can be analyzed through the lens of the Big Five personality principles. Openness to Experience: Hannibal Lecter is very open to new...
  • Commented on alzheimer's...it happens to the best of us
    I do not have any personal experience with the disease, but I feel for those who do. One of my best friend's father has dementia (sort of similar to Alzheimer's) and I know that it has been very hard on...
  • Commented on Wait...how did it happen again?
    While it makes sense that you would blame yourself for having the faulty memory (due to your young age), perhaps your mother's memory is the faulty one. Maybe you DID experience excruciating pain and your mother just forgot. That's the...
  • Commented on When I count to ten, you will bark like a dog
    A hypnotist came to my high school's senior party and my brother was selected to be hypnotized. After the show was over, I asked him if he was really hypnotized or if he was "faking it." Unsurprisingly, he was faking...
  • Commented on You can train a fish?
    That's pretty neat! As some of the other commenters have mentioned, I never thought it would be possible to train fish due to their small brains and their limited capacity to hold memories. I wonder if it's possible to train...
  • Posted Erasing Memories: Is it possible? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    We all possess painful memories that we wish we could forget--the death of a relative or a pet, a car accident that left a friend paralyzed, a parents' divorce. In the film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, the main...
  • Commented on Sleepwalking
    Sleepwalking is a pretty wild phenomenon. Fortunately, I am not a sleepwalker, but my sister, when she was younger, was. Often times, she would wake up in different parts of our home and would wonder how she got there when...
  • Commented on Dead to the World; All at Once
    Narcolepsy is a very peculiar condition. When I hear the term narcolepsy, I am always reminded of the film "Rat Race" where one of the characters, portrayed by Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr. Bean), suffers from the condition. Of course, in...
  • Commented on Chapter 9 - The Flynn Effect
    Technology definitely plays an important role when it comes to education. When I was in elementary school, I specifically remember using computers to enhance my learning. In first grade, for example, I remember playing the game Word Munchers on an...
  • Posted Chapter 16: Psychological and Biological Treatments to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    For this assignment, I reviewed Chapter 16: Psychological and Biological Treatments, which examines and explores a broad range of psychological and biological therapies that are designed to alleviate emotional suffering. One topic this chapter explains is psychosurgery, or brain surgery...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from joh09617