skogs012

• Commented on Hypnosis
    I've always found hypnosis interesting, so it's fun to hear from the perspective of someone that has been hypnotized. I would love to try it myself sometime. I liked that the book actually explained the myths, and what actually happened...
  • Commented on Can certain pills improve our memories?
    I enjoyed this post because people are always looking for a quick fix or a pill to better themselves, and people will believe literally anything they market without evidence or fear of side effects. While it would be nice to...
  • Commented on A World of Grays
    Great post. I hadn't thought much about that until reading this post, and it really is true that there really isn't a set right or wrong, black or white scale in psychology. There are so many factors that contribute to...
  • Commented on Pro-Anorexia as a Dieting Method
    My guess would be that this website would encourage those that were anorexic that their eating habits were acceptable and healthy, an unsafe suggestion for those who are psychologically convinced that they are overweight, even at an underweight size. This...
  • Commented on Freudian approach to Homophobia
    This is an interesting example, and it definitely explains reaction formation well. However, I would say that this is not true for all homophobic people, and that while this example fits this case, it doesn't explain all. I agree that...
  • Commented on Nature vs Nurture in a social setting. Oh and some visual illusions.
    While you posed some interesting questions that I hadn't previously thought about, this blog was a little broad. Also, the questions you posed left little answered, and I was slightly confused about that. What are your opinions on nature vs....
  • Commented on Somatic Marker Theory
    This is an interesting concept, and I'm sure my somatic marker helps me in some occasions, especially in decisions that need to be made on the fly. However, I feel like a lot of decisions we make are processed more...
  • Commented on DS Make-up: SOC- Blue v. Brown
    I really enjoyed this post because you referenced something that is such a perfect example that shows how easily prejudice and racism can begin, and how crucial it is for child development to be monitored. This post can also be...
  • Commented on Responsibility diffusion on metro transit
    What a great post, and it really touched me. I also give up my seat for anyone who seems to need it more than I do, and definitely value respect for my elders. The personal touch on the psychological concept...
  • Commented on DS Memory - Caffeine
    As a caffeine addict myself, I am hoping this is true, but I'm also skeptical. I'm wondering if the rats become state dependent on caffeine while learning, which would increase their learning on the basis of their state, rather than...
  • Commented on Inattentional Blindness
    Your positivity about inattentional blindness definitely related to me, because in an apartment of 4 noisy girls, I definitely need this to focus on my studies. While reading your post, I was also thinking about the idea that sometimes when...
  • Commented on Kitty or Tiger?
    It's interesting to see the perspectives of someone from a different culture, and the reasons for why you think China has a different way of raising their children. Do you feel that because you were raised differently than your peers...
  • Commented on COG Make-up DS: Sexsomnia
    What an interesting phenomena. I had never heard of sexsomnia before and was really surprised by your findings. I would have liked a link to the article so I could read more about it, especially because even just your title...
  • Commented on DS Bio-Make up
    While there may be some potential benefits from this type of injury, I’m still curious about your original questions. Are any of these damages reversible? Can the human body adapt to an injury like this? I found it interesting that...
  • Posted Blog 2: What about animal training? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Animal training, huh? What's the purpose of making good old Sparky learn to fetch your slippers or the newspaper, besides avoiding getting off the couch? Well, while the newspaper or slippers may not seem too substantial, retrieving an object on...
  • Posted Writing 4: The one thing I'll remember to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    We've learned so many things this semester, but I think one thing that will stick with me quite a bit is how important and crucial development is. Working with a lot of young children through volunteering, as well as with...
  • Commented on IQ testing as a measure of job performance
    I feel that while it could be beneficial to use IQ testing to influence hiring, I agree that it should definitely not be the only factor. While this could be beneficial in the long run, I think it should also...
  • Posted Development: Does Media Increase Violence? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Should we be censoring what our children see? Does violence on television, video games, and media sources lead to violent behavior in children? Do children respond to violence with violence? The answer to all of the questions is simple; yes....
  • Posted Memory: What happens when we reconstruct our past? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Our memories are so reconstructive that with continuous suggestion of false memories, we may believe its true, and even recreate untrue events based on what we think we remember. With detail, suggestion, and false reasoning, people have been convinced that...
  • Commented on Homosexuals; should they be allowed to donate blood?
    Completely agreed. It's completely unjust....
  • Posted Homosexuals; should they be allowed to donate blood? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Recently, I was at a blood drive organized by one of my friends who is a homosexual male, and he was not allowed to donate blood due to his sexual orientation. Is this discrimination? Why is he not allowed to?...
  • Commented on Double Trouble
    I have actually had an opposite experiences with learning sign language, which is a visual language. While watching the teacher signing, and mimicking her movements is beneficial, it is almost impossible to understand the movements, facial expressions, and what the...
  • Commented on When I count to ten, you will bark like a dog
    I like that you countered your previous beliefs, and showed that you learned something. I have seen people hypnotized before, and it is true that they can get them to perform strange behaviors. However, it didn't work on everyone the...
  • Commented on If Athletes can smoke, so can we.
    While this ad is relevant for history, this strategy is much less common now. I feel that rather than placing that as a primary cause, it could have encouraged smoking. However, I'm curious about to the addictive chemicals that have...
  • Posted The splitting of the brain: Corpus Callosotomy to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    The corpus callosum is a band of nerve fibers that connects the left and right hemispheres of the brain.  A corpus callosotomy is a surgery that severs the corpus callosum, therefore preventing nerve impulses from being transmitted between the hemispheres. ...
  • Commented on Raising a Child Gender-Neutrally: Can it work?
    I found this post extremely interesting, because I have watched several documentaries on children that are raised gender-neutral, and I feel that this is a very different way of child-rearing. While I feel that this could be beneficial for the...
  • Commented on Chapter 5: Lucid Dreaming
    Are lucid dreams correlated with particular feelings before or during sleep? While reading this blog, I was curious to know how lucid dreams occur; whether lucid dreams are caused by a state of mind, or brain neurons continuing to fire...
  • Posted Ch 11: Emotions and Motivation to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Chapter 11, Emotion and Motivation, describes how our emotions and motivations influence our thoughts and actions. Emotions; mental states or feelings associated with our evaluation of our experiences; influence us to respond in specific ways, and to make decisions in...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from skogs012