wagne851

• Posted Vygotsky and Sociocultural Theory to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    In our chapter on Human development, we focused mainly on the works of Jean Piaget, and failed to deeply analyze the works of many other psychologists. One person who was briefly mentioned in the book was Lev Vygotsky. Vygotsky was...
  • Commented on Coping with Stress in College
    The most important aspect about stress is that everyone handles it differently. Some people need to vent out their stress, while others just bottle it all up, and then eventually explode. College is a huge source of stress, yet it...
  • Commented on Blog #1: Chapter 8: Language, Thinking, and Reasoning
    The most interesting part of language for me was how it develops in different parts of the world with different people. The example about how Inuits have hundreds of different words for snow was striking to me. For someone who...
  • Commented on Chapter 4 Sensation and Perception
    The most interesting part of this chapter to me was all the examples where our mind can potentially trick us. Our brain allows us to process all sorts of information that leads us to draw conclusions about the world around...
  • Commented on Blog #1 Psychological Disorders
    What I found to be the most interesting concept out of chapter fifteen was the idea that we can cause our bodies to have symptoms of an illness just by thinking that we have the illness. This reveals to us...
  • Commented on Blog # 2: Adrenaline
    Having continuous activation of the sympathetic nervous system by adrenaline would create an extremely interesting outcome. Our abilities in certain situations would skyrocket. This reminds me of the movie Limitless, where we can take a pill to tap into the...
  • Commented on Raising a Child Gender-Neutrally: Can it work?
    I completely disagree with Sasha's parents. Raising a child with "gender neutrality" is by all means wrong. Our genders are part of our identity, and raising a child "without" a gender is striping them of their identity. These parents are...
  • Commented on Chapter 5: Lucid Dreaming
    Personally I love lucid dreams. I usually do not remember my dreams any more. I would say that I only remember a dream just a few times a month. However, when I do remember it, it is usually a lucid...
  • Commented on Got Sleep?
    It is almost funny how different some people are in regards to how much sleep they need on any given day. Personally I know that there is no way that I would be able to function on a Dymaxion cycle....
  • Commented on Moral Dilemmas
    Taking the life of one person in order to save one hundred is a no brainer for me. I would certainly do so in order to save the lives of so many others. One thing to note is that, as...
  • Commented on Does money buy happiness?
    One interesting aspect to analyze about money "buying" happiness is lottery winners. I know that I have read it about a hundred times that a seemingly high percentage of lottery winners end up either depressed or bankrupt. This would certainly...
  • Commented on Hypnosis
    I have always been very skeptical of hypnosis, likely because I have never experienced it myself. However, this small section you are referring to heightened my skepticism. Every time that I have seen a someone get hypnotized I have questioned...
  • Commented on The Yerkes-Dadson Law
    The Yerkes-Dodson law was extremely interesting to me because I have experienced it's effects while playing sports. Consistently coaches or players would come up with something to help pump everyone else up. The pump up varied from a cheer to...
  • Commented on Writing 4: The one thing I'll remember
    I never really realized just how much of an impact we can make on a child's development. Obviously the parts play a huge role in their children's development, however, they often trust us to take care of the kids for...
  • Commented on Never read a book by it's cover
    I agree that using IQ testing does not provide a complete analysis of a person and it is very similar to judging a book by its cover. Although most of us frequently do judge books by there cover, it is...
  • Commented on What will stick with me
    This topic was also pretty interesting to me. It is extremely tough to analyze what we would do if we were in the situation of the participants in the Milgram experiment. I think the main reason for this is just...
  • Commented on Final Blog Post: Remembering Psychology
    The section about memory has helped me, ironically enough, remember a lot of material for other subjects. Applying nemonic devices has helped me countless times since we studied it in class. Another part of this section that you highlighted and...
  • Commented on Learning about yourself in class!
    I also found the section on personality particularly striking. It was interesting to see every different component that makes up an individuals personality. Similar to what you're talking about I also looked into specific friends body types and saw them...
  • Posted Learning About What to Ignore to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    One of the most interesting aspects about Psychology that I will surely remember later on in life is what to ignore. Specifically, the six scientific thinking principles and how we can apply them to our everyday lives. It the most...
  • Commented on IQ testing as a measure of job performance
    You bring up some interesting points about IQ testing, however, there are a few more aspects about the topic that I feel are worth looking into. I believe IQ testing is effective for certain types of jobs, specifically ones with...
  • Posted Lawrence Kohlberg's Criticisms to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Lawrence Kohlberg's work started a foundation for development and moral decision making. Kohlberg demonstrated his concepts by using the "Heinz Dilemma" that he created. The basic premise of the dilemma is that Heinz, the husband of a woman who is...
  • Commented on Painting of a painting- depth perception illusion
    When I first looked at the painting, I noticed the painting in the painting right away. (Partially because it was given away in the title) However, I think its an extremely interesting visual representation of the city. The depth perceptions...
  • Commented on The Boy with Cat Eyes
    When thinking about having superpowers, being able to see better in the dark would probably be the last thing that I would think of. However, I think it could be extremely useful. That being said, I don't think that the...
  • Posted What Lead You to Read This? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Free will vs. Determinism has been one of Psychology's greatest debates. The question is whether you made the choice on your own to bring up this blog post, or whether there is some pre-determined notion that lead you to it....
  • Posted Chapter 1 - Psychology and Scientific Thinking to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Chapter 1, as many of us have now read, is a brief summary of what Psychology is and a in depth analysis of what it is not. The idea of pseudoscience is the main premiss of this chapter, specifically, how...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from wagne851