shimo034

• Posted What If...? to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    This is going to be a controversial post. This is because it concerns religion and its history. I have always been a skeptical person. I like facts, I like proof, and I love to explore and think about all...
  • Commented on You Look So Good in Those Genes
    This is a great point that you make! Further research and insight into genetics is fascinating and can certainly be applied in useful ways. However this idea of genetics completely determining certain traits and aspects of a person is something...
  • Commented on "I Work Out!"
    I think that this is a principle that everyone can relate to. When working out alone, it is only your own personal drive that motivates you to keep going or to be very attentive to technique. This can work great...
  • Commented on Family Dynamics
    The argument that you make against the idea that birth order is a huge factor in personality is one that I definitely agree with. Just like you said, there are far too many other factors that influence what a child...
  • Commented on Monkey See, Monkey Do.
    I certainly agree with the idea that it is a combination of genetics and environment that causes cases such as this (a grandmother at 32, that's ridiculous). While some people might say that it is the knowledge that the mother...
  • Commented on six F.R.I.E.N.D.S and the big five
    I definitely agree on the identifications of the big five personality traits within each character in the show Friends. Learning about these traits has made me realize that television does this very frequently and on purpose for comic effect. The...
  • Commented on Alcohol VS Marijuana Debate
    This is something that I have a similar opinion about. From a purely logical and factual standpoint, there is absolutely no reason why marijuana should be illegal while things like alcohol and tobacco are perfectly acceptable. Those two substances are...
  • Commented on Global Conversation with a Whole Brain Approach
    I completely agree with you. The best way to approach any kind of problem or profession or whatever is from a holistic view where the entire situation (whatever that may be) is considered. Here in America, and especially in the...
  • Commented on When In Doubt...Call 911
    Steve Jobs makes a very compelling point that the world really is what you make of it. I completely agree with what is said in this video about people living within norms that don't really exist. I know that all...
  • Commented on Homework Should Never Be Done Alone
    I have always benefited by working on homework with friends, but this definitely has to have it's limitations. By "working with friends" I mean everyone attempting things independently and then helping each other when problems arise. I know that this...
  • Commented on Truth about lying
    It would be extremely interesting to actually be able to know how many times we all get lied to on a daily basis. When we go around and interact with people, there are probably many times that lies are exchanged....
  • Posted Thoughts of Beauty to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    A Supreme Court justice Potter Stewart famously said of pornography that it was hard to define, "but I know it when I see it". The same thing can be said about beauty. There are so many different cultural opinions...
  • Commented on My Memory of Running Away?
    That is very interesting, and I also have a similar experience. I have a vivid memory of running down the stairs in my house in France (where I lived at the time) crying and screaming. I remember pounding on the...
  • Commented on Alzheimer's: the greatest heartbreaker
    My great-grandmother had Alzheimer's disease for quite a while before she passed away, so I am familiar with the struggles that those who were close to her faced. Neurodegenerative and general cognitive decline with age is something that is terrifying...
  • Commented on Sweet and Spice and Everything Nice!
    I completely agree with the ideas you put forth in your blog. Producing "good" children is not something that can be accomplished with simply having two parents. There are so many different factors that combine to create the behavioral aspects...
  • Posted I Got A Gut Feeling... to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    You're driving home from school and spontaneously decide to take a route that you usually don't take. You have a random and compelling urge to call a friend or loved one. You take a hopeful guess on a test...
  • Commented on When I Say Three, You Will Be A...
    I also saw the hypnotist Jim Wand here at the U earlier this year, and like you I thought it was absolutely hilarious! I'd also read about many of the health benefits that hypnotism claims to provide. For these reasons,...
  • Commented on 3D Sounds
    This is very impressive and a little startling at first! Learning about how our minds function to produce our perception of the world around us is fascinating, and has lead to some incredible things! This specific idea enhances our music...
  • Commented on Could Vaccines be to Blame?
    Because there is so little that is known about autism, there is definitely no way to know if vaccines are the cause. The video shown is indeed heartbreaking, but it is definitely not something that should be taken as scientific...
  • Commented on The Problem with Exercise Guidelines
    I think that it is very interesting that you found the most credible article to come from what should be the least reliable source. Although they certainly did explain themselves the best, I think that the opinion of a medical...
  • Commented on Miracle Diets Require..... Miracles? Blog #2
    It's incredible to me that products like this actually sell. You don't need to be in a psychology class to realize how incredibly far-fetched this is. The idea that extraordinary claims must be backed up by extraordinary evidence is something...
  • Commented on Your Choice? Or Mine?
    I certainly agree with your take on the Nature vs. Nurture debate in the sense that people will definitely keep arguing about it, even when there is evidence to support either side. In fact, one could even say that we...
  • Commented on How much should you work out in a week?
    After reading this blog I had many of the same reactions that other people who commented had. All of the articles mentioned certainly seem to be credible, but they aren't seeing the big picture. It is the combination of all...
  • Posted Our Not-So-Sturdy World to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    It is remarkable that a three-pound mass of gray matter creates the world around us, and the entire experience of consciousness for every human being. This accurate self-awareness is so critical to our identity as human. Chapter 5 in the...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from shimo034

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page