barri084

• Commented on We are anonymous
    It really is scary the kinds of things that are possible for hackers to accomplish. The piece of software that lets you control someone else's webcam is called a 'remote access tool' (a RAT). It can get downloaded on your...
  • Commented on Humanity, Evil, and the Internet
    What happened to Barr was pretty sad. Later on in the book it talks about how random people started showing up at his house trying to take pictures and peek inside. He really started to fear for his children's safety...
  • Posted We Are Anonymous to WRIT 3577 - Spring 2013
    Parmy Olson did a really nice job on this book. I'm just not quite sure how she was able to get these people who pride themselves on being anonymous to give out so many details. But regardless, this book is...
  • Commented on Do e-mails hurt IQ more than pot?
    Unfortunately the site would only accept my entry if I didn't have links in the body so here are the two I had: link to Brittney Gilbert's quote http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Has_Social_Media_Killed_Social_Skills_106742408.html link to the 2005 study http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/22/text.iq/...
  • Posted Do e-mails hurt IQ more than pot? to WRIT 3577 - Spring 2013
    Rainie and Wellman argue that our new social technologies do not inhibit our communication skills, but instead enhance and supplement them. I fully agree, but not everyone else does. The book touches this point in multiple places such as: p....
  • Posted It's Up To You to WRIT 3577 - Spring 2013
    On p130 Berners-Lee talks about the four layers of the Web's infrastructure. They are the transmission medium, the computer hardware, the software, and the content itself. He argues it is important to keep these layers separate. He gives the example...
  • Commented on The variety of connections throughout the Internet- Blog Week 2
    Its pretty scary but with an IP address and some kind of Geo IP Table you can see, almost exactly, where that IP address is from. Check out http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm as an example. -Sam...
  • Commented on It's What's on the Inside That Counts
    Would you go to a blank website even if you could connect to it in 1 picosecond? If it wasn't for people's curiosity to learn more and to constantly better our lives there wouldn't have been a driving factor in...
    havik004, you wrote: "with emails and chatting online, we never see where the information travels... it's most likely an impossible question to get an answer to." I just wanted to say that you can track an email just as easy...
  • Posted It's What's on the Inside That Counts to WRIT 3577 - Spring 2013
    I have always felt lucky to be born at this particular period of time. I've personally witnessed the infancy of the internet from the time of Netscape all the way to its explosive, and potentially limitless, growth today. But I...
  • Commented on Unit testing...*yawn*
    My partner and I had a similar situation where we forgot to put a "." in our string regex and it was unit testing that rescued us. Unit testing may not be all "fun and sexy" but it sure is...
  • Posted Blog Entry 4, Testing... 1, 2, 3 to Sam's Blogery
    I am sure all of us have had to write a small program yourself as a homework assignment, maybe it was a program that sorts a list of integers. I bet it started out as you coding the small program...
  • Commented on Version Control
    The analogy you made about Netflix was very nicely put, someone without a computer science background could understand the importance of tracking changes from multiple locations. When you started talking about SVN lacking a GUI I just had to smile....
  • Commented on Subversion and Source control
    The first comment said you were blessed to not have to return to a previous version, I would also add you have been blessed since it seems like no major Subversion problems have arisen in your group. I wish I...
  • Posted Blog Entry 3, Subversion - Friend or Foe? to Sam's Blogery
    Subversion, when used correctly, is an extremely useful tool in organizing different versions of files and programs in a single area called a repository. You can think of this repository as cloud storage, it's not specifically located on one single...
  • Commented on B2 - Working in Groups
    I am like you, I like to have a lot of "fluff", as you called it, in the lines of code. It helps me see each line more clearly. I also like to write just a little code, maybe a...
  • Commented on Blog 2 Working in Groups
    How has SSH been working for you? I had some problems uploading documents originally but I fixed it by using a different SSH program. I am behind you 100%, debugging 100's of lines of code by yourself trying to find...
  • Posted Blog Entry 2, Partners in Crime! to Sam's Blogery
    Let me start off by saying I really enjoy working with someone else in this class. My partner for our WTF project is Zhouyun (Joseph) Feng. He has been amazingly helpful for the iterations and labs. I believe that the...
  • Commented on Blog 1: Writing assignment
    A lot of what you said sounds similar to my experiences. I too use IDEs for C/C++. I have used one for a long time called Dev-C++ by Bloodshed Software, I know weird name. However, recently I began to use...
  • Posted Blog Entry 1, I am Sam, Sam I am. to Sam's Blogery
    Hello fellow 3081 students and faculty. My name is Sam Barris and this is my first semester at the University of Minnesota but I transferred from Normandale Community College so I am actually a junior. I am majoring in Computer...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from barri084

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page