Create Entry

nels6731

• Posted Need Saturday June 30th covered to Walter Circulation
    I really need someone to take my shift on Saturday, June 30th. The shift is from 10:45-6:00 and its all desk time, super easy. I have an event that I need to go to, and it is absolutely crucial I...
  • Posted Sunday again to Walter Circulation
    Sorry to ask this yet again, but I am hoping to get this Sunday off again. Its my birthday the next day and I'd like to have the whole 3 day weekend so I can travel to see my family...
  • Posted Sunday anyone? to Walter Circulation
    I would love it if I anyone could take my shift this Sunday, from 11:45-6:00. I understand we are short staffed right now, but there is a pretty important roller derby thing I would really like to attend on Sunday,...
  • Posted Need 2 shifts picked up - Saturday May 5th and 12th to Walter Circulation
    So, when I was filling out my availability, I totally spaced out and forgot to mark down Saturday May 5th as a day I cannot work. I've been planning on attending an event for months (or pretty much the whole...
  • Commented on Bringing queer film principles to mainstream cinema
    I totally agree with everything you said here. I like that some of the films are not centered around romance, though I admit I do like that in some films, it seems to really dominate the industry, and gets tiresome....
  • Commented on Queer Cinema
    I agree with your point. I actually never thought about the fact that Brokeback Mountain wasn't necessarily about them being queer, because the plot largely centers around their relationship, which is queer, and which is largely troublesome within the context...
  • Posted Queer cinema to Queer Cinema
    I think that the most important development that I have seen in watching all of the films in the class has taken place in By Hook or By Crook. The thing that was the most groundbreaking was that they hardly...
  • Posted Brokeback Mountain to Queer Cinema
    Though Brokeback Mountain has one issue that could be considered heteronormative, I would definitely argue that it is a queer film. Jack wants Ennis to run away with him and live a monogamous life on their own ranch. This could...
  • Commented on Queering Brokeback
    I agree with your points about queer violence. The scene where the two brothers are brought to look at the murdered man is just awful, and I hope nowadays someone could get arrested for that sort of thing. Not only...
  • Commented on Post-Sexual
    I do understand your point about monogamy, and how it relates to heteronormativity, I don't necessarily think that Jack wanted a completely heteronormative life. He didn't seem to care if his children came with he and Ennis to live their...
  • Commented on But, I'm a cheerleader!
    I don't think what you're saying necessarily has to be an assimilation type of approach, it doesn't have to be "we're just like you" but more that everyone is human and can identify with certain emotions and experiences, regardless of...
  • Commented on Feminization of Camp
    Those are valid points, but I think if Babbit had used an entirely female cast she would have likely been contributing to the binary more, by asserting that she needs only females, like male camp needs only males. I think...
  • Commented on Camp: the ultimate boys' club
    I agree with some of your points, for example the two male "homo recruiters," and the Cocksucker title. However, I disagree with the fact that there were no stereotypical representations of lesbians. There was Jan, who looked extremely butch (and...
  • Posted But, I'm a cheerleader! to Queer Cinema
    I think Jamie Babbit succeeded in trying to make the film "But, I'm a cheerleader" a feminized version of camp. Although I definitely do agree that creating gender binaries in any way is negative, I don't think there is any...
  • Commented on Final Project
    I like the idea of doing something on sexual fluidity as well. I hate the groups people get put in to in movies, its almost always either gay or straight, and no in between. When someone is at least bisexual...
  • Commented on Queer actors
    I also don't think that two heterosexual 15 year olds take baths together... Plus, the diary entries said some things that sounded very much like they were in a romantic relationship to me. Not only did they make love, Pauline...
  • Posted Heavenly Queer to Queer Cinema
    Though I do see Heavenly Creatures as a queer film, I think that the heterosexual identity of Kate Winslet, Melanie Lynskey, and Peter Jackson does somewhat detract from the queerness of the film. Though I do think their acting was...
  • Commented on Queer Directors
    I don't think just a person's sexuality is what makes them queer. As we've discussed in class, even a person who identifies as gay or lesbian may not necessarily identify as "queer," and someone who exclusively has sex with those...
  • Commented on Scottie kinda wants to gay marry Aunt Ida.
    This is a very good explanation of how reclaiming words that have previously been harmful can be an empowering act. However, I do agree that it can sometimes be problematic, because though the words are being reclaimed, not everyone knows...
  • Commented on Female Trouble
    I most certainly agree with your idea that beauty is a subjective thing, and it is possible to be fat and attractive. I think you hit the idea of the "artificiality of the truths we think we know" spot on!...
  • Posted Divine Fatness to Queer Cinema
    I think what Lebesco means by "the truths we think we know," are certain concepts, such as beauty or sexuality, that are widely believed to be something constant that everyone agrees on. The Western societal norm, or the "normate," as...
  • Commented on Marriages Are All Right
    I think that Halberstam was disappointed that a film about two lesbians would have to be portrayed in a way that they are a married couple, with all the normal married couple problems, and "just like everyone else." While marriage...
  • Commented on The Kids Are Alright
    I agree with your statement that Jules sleeping with a man was not a positive thing for the movie, since it seemed to reinforce the idea that lesbian relationships are not legitimate, and could be a passing phase, and what...
  • Posted The Kids Are Alright to Queer Cinema
    When this movie was first coming out, I was excited about the prospect of a movie about two lesbians, played by very well known actors. However, when I got the chance to see it, I was sourly disappointed. The lesbian...
  • Posted Tomorrow 3-4 desk shift to Walter Circulation
    Hey guys, I missed a quiz in one of my classes last week due to the aurora center training thing that I was at. My instructor literally just e-mailed me today to let me know I could make it up...
  • Commented on Birdcage
    I didn't actually think about it, but that is a good point to bring up that the film shows a very loving relationship between two men, which is rare in the media, especially considering the stereotype that all gay men...
  • Commented on The Birdcage Response
    I do find this film entertaining as well, to be honest, it has always been one of my favorites. However, within the context of this class, we are supposed to be dissecting them in this way. I agree with your...
  • Posted The Birdcage to Queer Cinema
    In the Birdcage, it is obvious that the two male gay characters have pretty opposite gender roles. Armand is the stereotypical masculine, butch man in the relationship, and Albert is the feminine nelly queen. It is arguable that these two...
  • Posted More hours up for grabs to Walter Circulation
    Hello again! So, the aurora center (who I volunteer for) is having some extra training hours on Wednesday and Thursday. I would really love to go and meet the new volunteers, and brush up on my training (since I've not...
  • Commented on Celluloid Closet - Fierstein - Visibility
    I think that there are a lot of older films with homoerotic subtexts in them, which is really fascinating. I took the "Gay Men and Homophobia" class where we actually had an assignment to find the homoerotic subtext in a...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from nels6731

Following

Not following anyone

Subscribe to Blog