Prof. Isoke

• Commented on Measuring self-worth in units of male approval: Marriage in India
    Yes! Excellent response to the prompt, Sunny....
  • Commented on Blog 2: A Story of Sex, Sustainability, and Not-So-Subtle Colonialism.
    Very insightful and instructive post!! I'm going to share it with the University of Minnesota Aurora Center. I also find it pretty interesting that you have non-profit organizations basically acting as marketing agents for pharmaceutical and prophylactic companies! Good work!...
  • Commented on Blog 2: Realizing the Good in a Seemingly Bad Situation
    ...
  • Commented on Blog 2
    This is a really interesting and provocative of feminist multicultural, which is also critiqued by Mohanty. I think I'm going to have students analyze this image as part of their final exam. Thanks for posting!...
  • Commented on West vs Third?
    Dylan, I think the bigger question that you are grappling with here is the concept of "right" which is very much a liberal (Western) concept. We will continue this discussion over the semester....
  • Commented on Blog 2
    Julia, Thanks for this post. Your post brings to mind this question: how would you feel if folks visiting from another place asking you what you deemed oppressive of freeing about your "culture". These are just the kinds of questions...
  • Commented on The Capitalist Power Structure; Views of Western Epistemology (Blog #2)
    Hi, This is a really good over view of the reading, but I would like to hear more about your reactions to the texts. How can this methodology be applied in other contexts to better understand power relations among those...
  • Commented on Under Western Eyes - blog #2
    Molly, Thanks for your response. I think that framing gender justice/feminism as human rights is a really fraught task, as often what is deemed "human right" are really values and norms that have their roots in Western liberalism/individualism. I think...
  • Commented on Blog Post #2: Western Feminism, Cultural Relativism, and FEMEN
    Eric, Thanks for your post and the interesting conversation that is sparked in class last week. I am going to be sure to get back to this question of cultural relativism....
  • Commented on Under Western Eyes Response
    This is a very good response to both the reading and lectures. I'm glad that you are catching on so quickly to these very complex arguments and critiques....
  • Commented on The Homogenization of Women
    Eni, I really appreciate these images. I find the first one really provocative as it emphasizes the stereotype of Third World women of color as monolithic group. The women are often presented without unique personalities and interests of their own....
  • Commented on Feminism and the White Savior Complex
    Priyanka, Thanks for posting this. While I think the image above is very provocative, it can also simply the issue of representation. The image presents image as "the issue" of importance for U.S. White/Western and "Muslim" women. What about other...
  • Commented on Human Trafficking and Prostitution
    Great question!! There is also the question of who is and what political-economic processes responsible for the conditions that make sex-trade necessary as a form work. Also, be certain to distinguish between trafficking and prostitution. These are not the same....
  • Commented on "Third World Women"
    Hi Anna, Thanks for this post. I would like to push a bit, though. The "author" or "narrator" is often chosen for the quality of their voice. The bigger question is who/what organization produced this film, for what purpose, and...
  • Posted Quick Overview of Uthink Blog to Sex, Politics, and Global Hip Hop 2014
    Remember, your first blog is due on Jan. 30. Your coursepacks will be available on Tuesday January 28 at Paradigm Course Resource located at 720 Washington Street....
  • Posted Blog #1 What is justice? to Engaging Justice 2014
    In blog one, introduce yourself to the class on the Uthink blog. Upload a picture of your self or an image that that represents some aspect of your personality. Tell us about the image you shared. Finally, what does "justice"...
  • Commented on Changes
    Selena, Thanks for this post. Tupac was an amazing artist, not just for the complex political message, suave lyrics, and storytelling prowess, but also for the way *some* of his music was so deeply inspirational. I believe that the "Changes"...
  • Commented on Buck 65
    Thanks for sharing this, Kayla. I was looking for the video clip. I guess it didn't load properly. I think collaboration and hybrid sounds are definitely the future of hip hop globally. I am a big fan of the multiple...
  • Commented on Human Trafficking: Minneapolis, Minnesota
    This is a test!...
  • Commented on Another Form of Micro-Enterprise
    Hi Lauren, Thanks for posting this. There certainly important ways that activists and artists can development and implement economic project that are motivated primarily for empowerment and self-determination. We can often think of these as forms of contestation against neoliberalism....
  • Commented on Engaging Gender Justice
    Hi Cassandra, Thanks for this post. Thinking "intersectionally" is very difficult. Intersectionality makes us have to consider very carefully how we both describe oppression and act to resist it. I remember when I first came across this term in graduate...
  • Posted Defending the Color Line to Engaging Justice GWSS 1005-2012
    Defending the Color Line.pdf...
  • Posted Punks, Bulldaggers, and Welfare Queens to Engaging Justice GWSS 1005-2012
    punks bulldaggers cohen.pdf...
  • Posted Paper Topic Options to Engaging Justice GWSS 1005-2012
    PROF. ZENZELE ISOKE DISCUSSION PAPER #1 DUE WEDNESDAY OCT. 10 I...
  • Posted Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments to Engaging Justice GWSS 1005-2012
    Excerpts Taken from The New Jim Crow (2011) by Michelle Alexander and American Politics and the African American Quest from Freedom by Hanes Walton, Jr. and Robert C. Smith (2000) Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment.pdf...
  • Posted Lecture Notes for Weeks 2-3 to Engaging Justice GWSS 1005-2012
    engaging justice intro lecture.pptx...
  • Commented on Justice in Three Photos and Three Paragraphs
    Luna, you have already immersed yourself in the study of justice. Learning and understanding the history oppression of racial minorities in the United States is key to a genuine understanding of the nature of the U.S. political and economic system,...
  • Commented on What IS Justice?
    Hey Cheyenne, I love this collage! You seem like a very affectionate and funny big sister! I agree that one of the best way we can make a change is through awareness of injustices, and taking small steps everyday to...
  • Commented on Freedom From The Mold
    Camira. The state taking custody of poor children is a HUGE problem in U.S. cities, and it has an especially devastating impact on families and communities. One of my favorite scholars, Dorothy Roberts, wrote a book called "Shattered Bonds: The...
  • Commented on What Justice Means to Me
    I'm so loving your sign and you commitment to speak your truth. It takes a lot of guts to take public stance on any issue. Domestic violence (including verbal, sexual, emotional, financial, etc.) continues to be huge problem facing us...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Prof. Isoke

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page