Ryan Prochaska

• Posted Day 4 Presentations to Organization and Management of Sport
    I thought the presentations today were good for the most part. I thought the idea to choose the Pittsburgh Pirates and Oakland Raiders was smart because there is a lot to talk about in the area of conflict and change....
  • Commented on Evolved Philosophy about Organizational Effectiveness
    I think the internal environment of sports teams has more of an influence on organizational culture than fans and media. There are certain players on these teams that have made mistakes and whose interviews are constantly shown in the...
  • Commented on Organizational Decision Making
    I think manager’s values and ethics should play a role in their decision making. Most good managers whom have worked their way through the corporate ranks have done so because they have made previous crucial decisions. I think excellent managers...
  • Commented on Culture
    I think it would be interesting to find out where in the organization the idea for “spy gate” was initiated. I agree that the New England Patriots and their owner, Robert Kraft have established a great culture, but it would...
  • Commented on Leadership
    I think high levels of formalization hinder the development of great leaders. Great leaders often make tough decisions during unstable times and with high levels of formalization this is unlikely to happen. If there are set standards for what actions...
  • Commented on Organizational Change
    I do foresee change within Life Time Fitness. They just recently elected two new members to their board of directors. I believe the power and politics within the organization will be affected and the new ideas and values that...
  • Commented on Managing Organizational Conflict
    I think power and perceived power play a big role in organizational conflict. Whenever you have clashing values and egos problems are likely to arise. Effective managers are able to utilize their power without evoking conflict. Perceived power can often...
  • Commented on Power & Politics in Sport Organizations
    In my opinion the Yankees greatest source of power is their ability and willingness to spend money on top tier players. This past off-season they were able to sign C.C. Sabathia, Mark Texiera, and A.J. Burnett, all of who helped...
  • Commented on Environments and Sport Organizations
    If I was a top level manager at Nike my primary environmental concern would be the current state of the American economy. I think it could be awhile before the economy turns around and a lot of what managers are...
  • Commented on The Function of Interests, Power and Capacity in Strategic Change
    I do not believe that someone needs to have an official position of authority to create and inspire a shared vision. Although I cannot site a specific example towards my opinion, I think as long as everyone in the organization...
  • Commented on Dimensions of Organizational Structure
    I think the amount of rules necessary for an effective organization is based upon the nature of the industry. Some industries require a highly formalized atmosphere to be effective and the number of rules is far greater than another company....
  • Posted Day 3 Presentations to Organization and Management of Sport
    Day three presentations had a lot of information, but overall were too long and slides were bogged down by text. The general rule of thumb is to have no more than five bullet points with no more than five to...
  • Posted Minnesota Basketball to Organization and Management of Sport
    I think Andre did a very good job with his presentation. Being a student manager, he had a lot of information about the topic and presented it in an efficient manner. I also thought his speaking pace and volume were...
  • Posted Decision Making to Organization and Management of Sport
    When looking at most organizations, decision making is a collective process that incorporates multiple individuals. Unlike most organizations the Oakland Raiders are controlled by one person, Al Davis, who makes almost every decision. Faithful Oakland Raider fans have gone as...
  • Posted Culture to Organization and Management of Sport
    Organizational culture is oftentimes overlooked and not fully understood, but it is vital for success. In order for employees to get along and work together they must share a common culture. Organizational culture can become confusing because of the wide...
  • Posted Leadership to Organization and Management of Sport
    "Leaders play an important role in creating and transmitting an organization's culture because they not only choose the basic mission and the environmental context in which the new group will operate, but they choose the group members and bias the...
  • Posted Change to Organization and Management of Sport
    Change within an organization is inevitable and is often a political process. There are four major areas where change is likely to occur in an organization: technological, products and services, people and structures and systems (Slack and Parent 239). Most...
  • Posted Kenny Mauer to Organization and Management of Sport
    I thought today's guest speaker Kenny Mauer was very informative. It is always interesting to find out things that happen behind closed doors. A lot of the issues Mr. Mauer talked about dealt with the power struggle between the NBA...
  • Posted Conflict to Organization and Management of Sport
    Conflict within an organization is inevitable, but not always negative. An important role for each employee throughout an organization is to manage the conflict so that it does not result in unwanted consequences. Conflict management is just as important as...
  • Posted power to Organization and Management of Sport
    Power and politics play a major role in sporting organizations and maintaining power is something all teams and organizations focus on. George Steinbrenner, former owner of the New York Yankees, is the epitome of how power can result in organizational...
  • Posted Environment to Organization and Management of Sport
    The state of our nation's economy has forced companies to adapt to the environment in different ways and it is vital for survival that a company is able to do this. As discussed in the book the economy is only...
  • Posted amis et all to Organization and Management of Sport
    Ryan Prochaska, Kristen Dockery, Dustin Permann, Laura Schnell Power: 1. One person, either volunteer or employee, needs to be appointed to have ultimate power. This will make that person accountable for the decisions being made and will allow others to...
  • Posted Canadian Division I to Organization and Management of Sport
    I think the idea of a Canadian school being incorporated into Division I of the NCAA is a very feasible idea that would take a little bit of time to iron out. As stated in the Wahl and Dohrmann article,...
  • Posted Organizational Effectiveness to Organization and Management of Sport
    I believe organization effectiveness must begin at the top and work its way down to every other employee within the organization. Even if owners do not play a huge role in the day to day operations of that organization it...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Ryan Prochaska