Laura Schnell

• Commented on Blog #5- Changed philosophy of organizational effectiveness
    This blog shared similar beliefs to me and what I now consider is an effective organization. Mainly, I felt initially that the goal-attainment approach was very effective in running an organization. I now think that an organization needs additional ways...
  • Commented on Organizational Culture
    I agree with Dustin when he said an organization must make radical changes if they have been on a downward slope for a while. It is important to make many large changes to an organization's culture if they are very...
  • Commented on Thanksgiving Tournament Blog
    I found this post to be very interesting, especially after reading Emily's post on the same tournament. It was interesting how they both thought of the event as successful, but saw it as successful from two different viewpoints. One as...
  • Commented on BAHAMAS TOURNAMENT!
    This entry on the tournament is very interesting. I am a manager of the football team, and can sympathize with the problem of not having enough washers and dryers to get laundry done. This can be a big problem, because...
  • Commented on Blog 7
    There were many different aspects that Bryan discussed in this blog about leadership. I thought the part where he commented on the different leadership styles between Japanese and American coaches in baseball was very interesting. Where did you get this...
  • Commented on Culture in Sports
    I think that culture is a big part of any organization, it is often what keeps fans coming back to watch sporting events or draws them in to a product. For example, the St Paul Saints do a very good...
  • Commented on Leadership
    This example of the Timberwolves is a great example of leadership and how the overturn of leadership can be hard for a organization to deal with, or be very good for an organization. The Timberwolves have not been doing very...
  • Commented on Blog #5 Revised Philosophy
    Alyssa talks about using the OE strategy of goal-attainment as the best way to run an organization. I think it is important for every organization to have goals set and try their hardest to reach them, but I think if...
  • Commented on Organizational Decision Making
    Alyssa gave a very good synopsis of the chapter within this blog. I think it is very true that a manager would face nonprogrammed decisions over programmed ones. Problems that come up are usually very unexpected and a decision needs...
  • Posted 12/10 Presentations to Organization and Management of Sport
    I really enjoyed the YMCA presentation as well as the Glof Course presentation. These are both organizations in which I have had contact with but I did not know any of the detailed information the presenters gave. I grew up...
  • Posted 12/8 Presentations to Organization and Management of Sport
    Today's presentations were very diverse and full of information. My favorites would have to be the under armour presentation, the Pittsburg Pirates and the Oakland Raiders presentations. They were all very good at describing every slide and every aspect of...
  • Posted Dec. 3 Presentations to Organization and Management of Sport
    Today's presentations were very interesting. My favorites were Ryan's and Parker's. I like how Parker had a very personal perspective on the organization and could share stories from the inside of the organization instead of just looking at it from...
  • Posted Blog 10 to Organization and Management of Sport
    Initially at the beginning of this class I believed an organization must have one strong leader, which makes work fun and interesting. I also believed that the employer must have goals set for the organization that the employees should strive...
  • Posted Presentations Day 1 to Organization and Management of Sport
    The presentations today were very interesting. I learned a lot about 5 different organizations I did not have much knowledge for previously, which I find very beneficial. My favorite presentation would have to be Andre's. I thought he did a...
  • Posted Decision Making in Sport Organizations to Organization and Management of Sport
    Making decisions is something that a manager must do on a daily basis. In an essence, decision making is choosing between alternatives, as Slack and Parent describe in the textbook. In the most basic form, there are two types of...
  • Posted Culture of a Sport Organizaiton to Organization and Management of Sport
    There are many different definitions for the aspect of culture in an organization. Out of all of these definitions, Slack and Parent point out four themes that are common in all of them which include: values, beliefs, basic assumptions, and...
  • Posted Leadership to Organization and Management of Sport
    The organizations actors, processes, culture, structure and environment impact leadership on a large scale. These are all large determinants in which type of leadership style is used within an organization as well as determining its effectiveness. I will be using...
  • Posted Change in an Organization to Organization and Management of Sport
    A sport organizations ability to effectively and smoothly execute change within their organization is very beneficial. This will help the organization stay afloat in the market as well as excel in it. The world is constantly changing, and if an...
  • Posted Conflict in Sport Orgs to Organization and Management of Sport
    Bring able to handle and manage conflicts in an organization is very essential to the organization running smoothly. Conflict management is defined as "the ability to navigate through the small and large conflicts within an organization" by Slack and Parent....
  • Posted Power and Politics in a Sport Organization to Organization and Management of Sport
    Power and politics obviously have a huge bearing on the success or failure of an organization. Slack and Parent define power as "the ability to get someone to do something they would not have otherwise done or the probability of...
  • Posted Nike as a learning organization to Organization and Management of Sport
    Ryan Prochaska and Laura Schnell Nike doesn't depict a learning organization very well. We think Nike learned that they must be socially responsible in order to be successful or at least appear to be socially responsible to the public. We...
  • Posted Sport Orgs and Their Environments to Organization and Management of Sport
    Organizing and understanding the environment an organization is participating in is one of the larger factors in the success this said organization will experience. As Slack and Parent state on page 167, "The environment, a source of uncertainty for the...
  • Posted Organizational Strategy to Organization and Management of Sport
    Since strategy is so important to an organizations success, it is often times compared to goals and objectives of an organization, as Slack and Parent point out (11) but it is the way in which those goals and objectives will...
  • Posted Dimensions of Organizational Structure to Organization and Management of Sport
    Each organization has a different organizational structure and I attribute this mostly to the size of the organization. Identifying what exactly the organizational structure is for a corporation or franchise is very important for many reasons. Employees need to know...
  • Posted CONTEXTUAL VS STRUCTURAL: GOPHER FOOTBALL to Organization and Management of Sport
    We picked the Gopher Football organization to analyze the Contextual vs structural aspects. =CONTEXTUAL= Size: The size of Gopher Football is very large in terms of college athletics and in comparison to the other programs on campus. There is a...
  • Posted What makes an organization effective? to Organization and Management of Sport
    An effective organization has many different components to it that one must take into account. First of all, I think it is important to look at the way the organization is structured and organized. It is necessary to have rules...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Laura Schnell