masna001

• Posted Blog #10: Power & Conflict - NBA to Organization and Management of Sport
    The most interesting lecture in this class was Kenny Mauer's guest appearance. Many times in the professional sport industry we have seen debates, strikes, and conflict surrounding contracts and salaries. Before Kenny spoke with us, I had never heard a...
  • Posted Blog #9: Athletic Department Merger to Organization and Management of Sport
    Most of our lectures in this class consisted of one main topic of the organization and management of sport. I think that when we had the panel of guest speakers in class we were presented with the main topic of...
  • Commented on Organizational Philosophy
    I think many people get lost in the win-loss record of sports teams when attempting to determine organizational effectiveness. I feel you made a great point in that many times a sport organization is strictly determined my what happens on...
  • Commented on Power and Politics
    First of all, I think that the definition of power you provide from the textbook is extremely precise. If there were not a sense of power in organizations then many things would be left undone. I also think that the...
  • Commented on Importance of Culture
    As I read this chapter in our book I was surprised to see that symbols are an important part of organizational culture. I think that you made a good point in that symbols communicate meanings about the organization itself, to...
  • Commented on Presentations 12/10
    Since, I presenting this day and did not have to post, I felt I could add my input through a comment. I agree with Rebecca on her observation about the Twins presentations. I really enjoyed hearing some of the financial...
  • Commented on Organizational Change
    Dre, I think you made a great point in mentioning the affects of not addressing change when it is needed. I think that resistance to change is a current problem in many organizations. I personally have worked for a little...
  • Commented on Blog #5 Organzational Effectiveness (New Philosophy)
    I agree with the three concepts you believe produce an effective organization. Coming into this class I felt that leadership was the most important aspect of organizational effectiveness, but I now feel that it is a combination of being goal-oriented...
  • Commented on Organizational Decision Making
    I think you touched on one of the most important parts of decision-making in this blog, uncertainty. Managers cannot effectively make decisions in sport organizations if they are uncertain about them. You mention that non-programmed decisions are made on...
  • Commented on Organizational Structure
    R.J. brings up a few great points in this blog. First of all, he mentions that many organizations could use a revision of their organizational structure. He then points out that many things factor into the structuring of an...
  • Commented on Leadership
    I think Matt touched on a few very important topics surrounding leadership. Most importantly, I think the first example that he gives about different areas of the world preferring different styles of leadership is something that is quite often overlooked....
  • Commented on Leadership
  • Commented on Decision Making
    I also think that decision making is a very important and sometimes overlooked part of the sport industry. Like you said, decision making does not instantly happen in sport organizations. It does usually take a process of gathering resources and...
  • Posted December 8th Presentations to Organization and Management of Sport
    Today's presentations all went very well. I really liked Brian's presentation on the Pittsburgh Pirates. He gave great insight into the organization and had a great recommendation of "committing" to their leaders. In Rebecca's presentation, it was nice to hear...
  • Posted MLB Case Study to Organization and Management of Sport
    Context: -Culture of doping and using steroids is very strong in the MLB -Subcultures: Players, coaches, front office, MLB executives, each individual team -Context influence MLB stakeholders: Fans show an enormous interest in home runs and strong players. Stakeholders are...
  • Posted Organizational Culture to Organization and Management of Sport
    All organizations have their own culture. Organizational culture can be defined in many different ways because there are so many different cultures. A few definitions from or book, written by Slack and Parent, offer the idea that organizational culture, sometimes...
  • Posted Organizational Leadership to Organization and Management of Sport
    The organizational context impacts leadership in many ways. Internal and external influences such as actors, processes, culture, structure, and environment each impact leadership differently. Although each of these plays a specific role in the organizational context of leadership, I believe...
  • Posted Conflict to Organization and Management of Sport
    Conflict will always be prevalent within sport organizations. With so many different roles in an organizational structure it is nearly impossible to avoid conflict. As sport managers we must learn effective methods in managing conflict to ensure that our organizations...
  • Posted Power and Politics to Organization and Management of Sport
    Power and politics play an enormous role in the sport industry. Most large sport organizations have some sort of power structure in place to help maintain a smooth operating business. Sometimes power and politics have a positive effect on organizations...
  • Posted Environment to Organization and Management of Sport
    Possibly one of the most important topics to consider when studying sport organizations is the general environment. Our book, authored by Slack and Parent, defines the general environment as "sectors that, although may not have direct impact on the operation...
  • Posted Organizational strategy to Organization and Management of Sport
    Many different factors go into implementing an effective organizational strategy for any sports organization. Three very important factors that cannot be left out of the organizational strategy are power, capacity for change, and interest for change. Each of these plays...
  • Posted Dimensions of an Organizational Structure to Organization and Management of Sport
    The chapter titled Dimensions of Organizational Structure, in our book focuses on the three most commonly used organizational dimensions. These three dimensions consist of complexity, formalization, and centralization. The first of these dimensions, complexity, is described in the book as...
  • Posted Group Work to Organization and Management of Sport
    WWE : -We concluded that WWE is not a sport because there is a predetermined outcome to the activity, which negates the sense of competition. -We determined that the WWE is still a sport organization despite the fact that it...
  • Posted Achieving Organizational Goals and Effectiveness to Organization and Management of Sport
    The make-up of an effective organization stems from a few key ideas and concepts. Our textbook, Understanding Sport Organizations, written by Trevor Slack and Milena M. Parent, provides vital ideas to help understand and create effective organizations. The book stresses...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from masna001