smit4108

• Commented on Culture
    I agree with Ashley, I think that culture is a very difficult to define, however, it seems there are aspects of culture that are easily able to be seen. Things like symbols, rituals, stories, traditions, and language are things that...
  • Posted Presentations 12/10 to Organization and Management of Sport
    Presentations today flowed very smoothly! Everyone was well-rehearsed and seemed to know exactly what they wanted to say. I thought it was really interesting that there weren't more Minnesota professional sport teams chosen to be analyzed. I thought that the...
  • Commented on Managing Organizational Conflict
    I think Sam makes a great point about conflict being positive as well as negative. When conflict is mentioned it is automatic for people to assume it is an internal strain that will have bad consequences if it is not...
  • Posted presentations 12/8 to Organization and Management of Sport
    One of the most interesting things about the presentations is that there have been very few repeats! I think it's great that almost everyone in class came up with an original organization. There were a lot of presentations today but...
  • Posted Presentations - Day 2 to Organization and Management of Sport
    I thought it was interesting the variety of organizations people chose to do. It is easy to tell what people's interests are. It is also interesting to see the differences in the structures of the organizations based on purpose, whether...
  • Posted Decision-making Case Study - All The Wrong Moves to Organization and Management of Sport
    1. The company was presented with an accusation that their product was making people sick. After two years of research some employees stood firm that the product was safe. The company's options were to keep the potentially dangerous product on...
  • Posted Decision-making to Organization and Management of Sport
    Decisions are defined by Slack & Parent simply as "a judgment...a choice between alternatives." Decisions within an organization can range from seemingly trivia, such as brand of printer ink, to major alterations such as the decision to expand internationally or...
  • Posted Leadership to Organization and Management of Sport
    The context in which a sport organization sits affects all aspects of the organization. An organization's leadership, whether it be one person or many, must be able to adjust and adapt to the fluidity of these aspects. Those leaders must...
  • Posted Organizational Change to Organization and Management of Sport
    Change is something that within an organization is inevitable. Change can be for the better, can have negative effects, or change can occur and stay relatively neutral and have neither positive nor negative effects. Slack and Parent state that there...
  • Posted Conflict to Organization and Management of Sport
    Conflict is much as a necessary part of an organization's success as power, structure, or design. The word conflict almost automatically brings thoughts of arguments and power struggles, or dysfunctional conflict, but this can also be good for an organization....
  • Posted power and politics to Organization and Management of Sport
    Slack and Parent argue that power is not something we can see within a sport organization, however, the effects of the dynamics of power can often be clearly felt. I would argue that this is not accurate. The fact that...
  • Posted Environment to Organization and Management of Sport
    The environment in which an organization operates is arguably the most important factor in determining the structure and success of the organization. Anything from the class and gender of the organization's target market to the technological advances and resources available...
  • Posted Organizational Strategy and Power, Actors, & Capacity to Organization and Management of Sport
    The development of an organizations competitive strategy is directly influenced by the power and capacity for change of the actors involved in the organization. How the power to affect decisions is spread and to which groups or individuals it is...
  • Posted Organizational Structures and Design to Organization and Management of Sport
    This passed spring I volunteer coached at my hometown high school. I was an assistant for the varsity team. This allowed me to view an organization's structure that was very simple. The head coach took direction from the athletic director...
  • Posted case study blog-alexa smith to Organization and Management of Sport
    1. In determining which expectation should take priority all stakeholders, within reason should be considered. Athletic directors and coaches should not be the lone dictators of what will make the program the most successful because their eyes are not the...
  • Posted Effective Organizations to Organization and Management of Sport
    The effectiveness of an organization is, by definition, determined by the achievement of goals. Therefore, creating a framework to encompass many organizations seems limiting and counter-productive. The framework would have to be flexible and able to mold to each organization....
  • Posted Alexa Smith, Doug Jorgenson, Nathan Hinkley, and Bria Stifter to Organization and Management of Sport
    We chose to look at the Twins organization. Contextual features: The Twins are a medium size organization within a much larger organization of MLB, they are by no means as large as the Yankees but not as small as Pirates....
  • Posted Culture to Organization and Management of Sport
            A clear definition of organizational culture is difficult to pinpoint. There are several basic principles that are generally agreed upon. These include values, beliefs, basic assumptions, and shared understandings of the members and stakeholders of an organizations. Some organizational...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from smit4108