nasims

• Posted Extremely off-topic: cold-weather bike gear, part 3 to Copyright Librarian
    January will mark my fourth anniversary as a year-round biker in Minneapolis, and since we have recently skipped from Halloween to mid-January, weather-wise, I'm reflecting on my wintry experiences, again. After last year's polar vortex, I have a new record low riding temp: -16 °F/-26.7°C. It is just -tiring- to...
  • Posted 11th Circuit Rules On Georgia State Fair Use Case to Copyright Librarian
    The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals issued its ruling today in Cambridge University Press et. al. v. Patton - otherwise known as "the Georgia State case." This is a case in which academic publishers (Cambridge UP, Oxford UP, and Sage) sued a public university for use of excerpts from books...
  • Posted Joys of the Public Domain/Creative Commons - Aluminum! to Copyright Librarian
    For reasons that don't need exploring at this juncture, I went out & found some neat-o public domain and open licensed pictures of aluminum, particularly related to its chemical/physical properties, and its use in food preparation!Food: Display of aluminum pots and pans. Date probably is around 1910- 20. Troy photo.(Cornell...
  • Posted And I thought "Can We Scan This?" was a hard question... to Copyright Librarian
    We have some really amazing and interesting things in our Archives and Special Collections; when we have some funds available, there're always things we want to digitize for preservation purposes, and for public sharing. Unfortunately, copyright is often a huge barrier to scanning things and making them available to the...
  • Posted A poor "translation" of a critique to Copyright Librarian
    I shared this Tumblr post earlier tonight as an example of the cutting cultural critique that media fandom produces internally: (Edit: the original source of this post is http://thominos.tumblr.com/post/98330131513/tw-were-trying-to-let-sterek-die-sterek-fandom; I first encountered it, and screencapped it at http://jerakeenc.tumblr.com/post/98336801735/tw-were-trying-to-let-sterek-die-sterek-fandom (which appears to have added the "the anti-marketing legend" tag.) The source...
  • Posted Contracts & Copyright (II) - Limits Beyond the Law to Copyright Librarian
    In yesterday's post, I laid out some basic principles of copyright and contract law, and started to outline some of the complicated implications of them. Here's an expansion on one of those areas: contracts can prevent you from doing things that copyright would normally allow you to do Edison Eula...
  • Posted Contracts & Copyright to Copyright Librarian
    This post is spurred by a number of conversations I've had recently with close friends and more distant acquaintances, about use and/or publication of archival materials, and materials from subscription databases. Rick Anderson's thoughtful "Asserting Rights We Don't Have" post, which was published in the midst of these discussions, was...
  • Posted Another flowchart deconstruction to Copyright Librarian
    New flowchart flying around Facebook and Twitter this morning purporting to answer the "Can I Use That Picture?" question. (Here's the original post.) One thing the author, "The Visual Communication Guy", Curtis Newbold, does really well is engage on some ethical issues! But the legal information has some problems. Again,...
  • Posted Joys of the Public Domain: Beating Summer Heat to Copyright Librarian
    It's not terribly hot (or sunny at all) here today, but I found an old photo of my brother and I having a water fight recently, so I've been thinking about ways people stay cool in summer! (Edited to fix links; clicking on any picture should now take you to...
  • Posted Copyright Decisionmaking Flowchart - Some Critical Reflections to Copyright Librarian
    Yesterday, a new infographic on copyright decisionmaking for teachers started making the rounds in my social media spheres. It originates from http://langwitches.org/blog/2014/06/10/copyright-flowchart-can-i-use-it-yes-no-if-this-then/ Because several people asked my opinion of it, and because several other people responded with concern equal to mine when I shared it, I thought it'd be worthwhile...
  • Posted Seriously? to Copyright Librarian
    Something is wrong with your organization if you want a letter that includes the following language: "...we cannot give you "permission" or "approve" your use; permission is not ours to give. Some uses may be allowed as fair uses, or under other copyright exceptions. It is your responsibility to assure...
  • Posted Crabby about credit to Copyright Librarian
    I begin to understand how completely frustrated pro photographers are by internet image-sharing behaviors. Today's fun: So, okay, I know I've said before that I don't care that much when people use my image. That's absolutely still true. But I do care about publicizing Creative Commons licenses. And I care...
  • Posted It's almost Easter, so it must be time to talk about Daleks again... to Copyright Librarian
    If you've read the saga of the Dalek egg, you know that I made an easter egg that looks like a Dalek (from the TV show Doctor Who) as a gift for a friend a few years back, and posted my photos online with a Creative Commons Attribution license. It...
  • Posted Joys of the Public Domain: Getcher "Lean In" Images Here! to Copyright Librarian
    I'm deeply ambivalent about the whole "Lean In" thing. Much less so about the very cool "Lean In Collection" from Getty Images, which aims to create stock photography that doesn't reinscribe stereotypes. However, you do still have to pay for/license uses of the Getty Images. This morning I was showing...
  • Posted Spring 2014 Copyright Workshops open for signup! to Copyright Librarian
    Upcoming workshop sessions at the University of Minnesota. Non-UMN folks are welcome, but please check in with the instructor first (especially for the online sessions)! Copyright In The Classroom (and Online)Can you show a movie in class? Can you distribute copies of a newspaper article? What are you allowed to...
  • Posted Where copyrights come from (part I) - Copyediting does -not- create a new copyright to Copyright Librarian
    In US law, copyright magically comes into existence when someone creates an original work of authorship. The copyright is actually based in the original expression contained in the work, not whether there was effort involved in the work's creation. So for the specific arrangement of words (+/- images) that make...
  • Posted If takedown notices are what it took for you to -really think- about rights ownership in your publications... to Copyright Librarian
    Last week, Academia.edu started receiving mass takedown notices from Elsevier (an academic publisher) for papers uploaded to the site by their authors. This has come as an offensive surprise to many of the authors who received the notices, and to many other academic authors who heard about the takedown requests....
  • Posted Extremely off-topic: cold-weather bike gear update to Copyright Librarian
    Last year at this time, I did a post on things I'd learned in my first full winter (2011-2012) bike-commuting. If you're interested in giving winter-biking a try, go read that first. However, with a second (and rather colder) winter (2012-2013) under my belt, and heading into a third, here's...
  • Posted Google Books suit dismissed: more affirmation of public interest in copyright to Copyright Librarian
    DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: I worked at the University of Michigan Libraries for several years during the beginning of the book scanning project with Google that is the subject of this lawsuit. The University of Minnesota Libraries, my current employer, is also affiliated with the Google scanning project and HathiTrust Digital Library. This...
  • Posted New: Copyright Workshops from UMN Libraries! to Copyright Librarian
    The University of Minnesota Libraries offer free copyright information workshops to the UMN community. Most are aimed at faculty, but open to participation by others. RCR continuing ed credit is often available. If these scheduled sessions are not convenient or relevant for you, we also offer sessions for research groups...
  • Posted WARNING: Deeply boring to normal people to Copyright Librarian
    ETA: Cross-posted at TechdirtI attended the hearing today in what the presiding judge, Magistrate Judge Franklin Noel, characterized as "several iterations of" AF Holdings LLC v. Doe (case nos. 12-1445 - 12-1449) The cases at hand have all previously settled and been dismissed, but the court determined it has the...
  • Posted Personal Photo Sharing - Things to Think About to Copyright Librarian
    We just had a "managing your personal photos" drop-in session here at the Libraries, and I was tasked to help people think about legal issues. Thought I'd turn my handout into a blog post! If you're in it, you might not own it. (Except for selfies.) Copyright ownership -usually- belongs...
  • Posted Copyright historians: The "Happy Birthday" class action suit and "proving" public domain status to Copyright Librarian
    Earlier this week, some filmmakers filed a class action suit that attempts to establish as fact that the song "Happy Birthday to You" is in the public domain - and has been for many years. The suit is a class action on behalf of everyone who has paid licensing...
  • Posted How To Tell Who "Created" An Image to Copyright Librarian
    Couple weeks ago, I saw a fun little flowchart/joke/cultural critique on Jezebel: "How to Tell If A Toy Is For Boys Or Girls: A Guide". (Image credits are intentionally withheld in the beginning of this post.) Bunch of folks were linking it on Facebook/Twitter/etc. Both the Jezebel post and the...
  • Posted Copyright in Your Personal Life to Copyright Librarian
    This post is based on a talk I gave/conversation I had today at the "Enhancing Quality Staff" symposium. I love this symposium, because I get to wander away from academic copyright issues, and there's always a ton of cool people who want to wander with me! This time, the session...
  • Posted On releasing an image to the wilds... to Copyright Librarian
    (There are no image credits on this post because (much to my slight embarrassment) I made all of these. The eggs are all Creative Commons licensed over on Flickr; click any picture to go there.)I have a long history of making slightly geeky easter eggs for friends and family. I...
  • Posted Wikipedia as an image source to Copyright Librarian
    Wikipedia is increasingly an excellent source of images that are free for all kinds of uses. This recently came up in a discussion about resources for MOOC teaching, but it can also be a great source for a wide variety of projects. If an image is on Wikipedia, it is...
  • Posted On turning down a job to Copyright Librarian
    Fairly recently, I was approached by a graduate professional program to teach a short, for-credit, winter-term course on copyright. I was really excited by the opportunity - I mostly lead one-shot sessions, and I was looking forward to getting into more depth with a group of students. I'd started planning...
  • Posted What is the government's interest in copyright? Not that of the public. to Copyright Librarian
    Like many other geeklaw & policy folks, I was baffled from the get-go by the decisions of federal prosecutors to pursue massive criminal charges against Aaron Swartz for downloading papers from JSTOR. I could understand that his activities constituted problematic behavior, but not the blustering punitive response. If Aaron's wrongful...
  • Posted Negotiation: Getting past some of the barriers we erect for ourselves to Copyright Librarian
    Negotiation can look like this.Adapted from more on 360 BY-NC Esthr/Esther Dyson A lot of people I talk to are kind of reluctant to try to change any terms when they're presented with a contract to sign in their daily lives. It's true that a lot of the contracts...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from nasims