Kelsey P.

• Posted Carpe Diem! to Carlson Student Blogs
    Carlson trains us to take ourselves very seriously. Every moment spent on something other than advancing our career is a moment wasted, right? Every unscheduled evening is a signal of personal failure, right? We are adults, after all, aren't we?Now...
  • Commented on Queer Cinema
    I agree with you that By Hook or By Crook is in an exclusive category from the other films, but I think it may be a bit of an overstatement to say that the characters are not based on stereotypes....
  • Commented on Evolution of Queer Cinema
    I like that you mention that while movies are not usually factually accurate, they do reflect larger societal structures that are playing a role in character construction, etc. It is interesting to see how multi-dimensional characters have become as of...
  • Posted 14 Weeks in 400 Words to Queer Cinema
    The most outstanding trend in the films that we've watched is that they've become more and more progressive over time. In the beginning, we watched The Celluloid closet, which really set the stage in terms of what to expect from...
  • Commented on Brokeback, more than heteronormativity
    I strongly agree with you when you say that the "failure" of love seems to conquer normativity. However, I'm not sure that that is the entire truth. The two men would have loved to be together, and probably would have...
  • Commented on Queering Brokeback
    I agree that the depiction of violence in the film was a heartbreaking yet refreshing change from what we are used to seeing in queer cinema. The fact that this violence was exposed to children seems even more enlightening. It...
  • Posted Post-Sexual to Queer Cinema
    While a lot of the film did focus strongly on heteronormativity, bits and pieces were quite transgressive. In general, Ennis was far less heteronormative than Jack was. Jack had this intense fantasy of living together on a ranch and fulfilling...
  • Commented on Feminization of Camp
    I think that your identifying as male contributes to your blindness in this issue, but I also think that no one can blame you for that. Most people tend to look for representations of themselves when viewing media and anything...
  • Commented on Feminization of Camp
    I agree that the reinforcement of gender binary here was a useful tool to expose the utter ridiculousness of it all. The film made it very clear that the representation wasn't meant to be taken seriously but that it was,...
  • Posted Camp: the ultimate boys' club to Queer Cinema
    I don't think that But I'm a Cheerleader necessarily feminized camp. While the storyline revolved around two women, many of the ideals of camp represented were still quite masculine. Feel free to let me know if I'm not reading camp...
  • Commented on Final Project
    I like the idea of drawing from television as well as film. I think that in society today people are exposed to more television than they are film because of time restraints in everyday life. Thus, it would be useful...
  • Commented on Final Project
    Also, it may be easier to initially focus on forming groups and then working with those members to formulate a more specific topic afterward....
  • Posted Final Project to Queer Cinema
    For the final project, I am most interested in pursuing discussion over a more international film than those that we've covered thus far. I think it would be useful in terms of broadening our horizons as this is something that...
  • Commented on Global queer film
    I think that covering a global topic would be useful since that's a facet that we haven't covered at all in class yet. Would you like to be in my group?...
  • Commented on Queering Casts and Crews
    Among all of the blogs I'm seeing this common point of "I don't know which actors and directors take part in creating the film that I'm watching, much less their sexual orientation. I think this is a very valuable point...
  • Commented on Heavenly Creatures
    I agree with this 100%. Why would the orientation of the director or of the actors make a difference as long as the film, the representation, and the message invoke intrigue? In the case of the director, (s)he is behind...
  • Posted Queer(?) Cinema to Queer Cinema
    I place great emphasis on the cast having queer identities in a film labeled "queer." If taken at face value (that the girls are heterosexual) then I don't see anything that would make this film queer. In fact, the...
  • Commented on Language in Revolt
    See, this is what I love about this film. I didn't really see decadence portrayed as the main aspect of the movie, but instead saw the entire thing as one strung out redefinition of what is beauty and what is...
  • Commented on Reclaiming "Fat"
    I agree with you that the common definitions of words that we use now isn't what they were originally defined as, but I don't think that "fat" or "queer" was ever necessarily a good thing. If we simply look at...
  • Posted I have not had enough sleep to think of a clever blog title. to Queer Cinema
    Both Bulter and LeBesco are pointing out that vocabulary is fluid. Reclamation and redefinition happens all the time as the connotations associated with specific words morph over time and in different contexts. The "artificiality of truth" is the understanding within...
  • Commented on This kid is not all right after watching "The Kids Are All Right".
    I think it's interesting that you note Jules and Nic's performance of gender roles within the confines of their relationship. While I agree that Nic is portrayed as more masculine and Jules is portrayed as more feminine, thus reflective a...
  • Commented on The Kids Are Alright
    I think it is clear that Jules cheated with a man instead of a woman in order to re-emphasize the hetero agenda. If Jules, a lesbian, is so terribly unhappy in her lesbian relationship that she needs to go out...
  • Posted Partnership and desire are mutually exclusive? to Queer Cinema
    It has almost come to be accepted that queer individuals and couples in the media need to be desexualized. Jules and Nic are portrayed as a couple that is unable to and/or refuses to have sex. The fact that Jules...
  • Commented on The Birdcage
    I like that you pointed out what you see in LGBT communities here. It is important to bring life experiences into our analyses. I think a lot of the reason we see so much of the masculine/feminine power structures in...
  • Commented on The Birdcage Response
    This reminds me a lot of the first documentary we watched in this class, in which Hooks made it clear that in order to analyze films we must be able to separate our enjoyment of them from our critique of...
  • Posted Caged to Queer Cinema
    In stating that the roles played by Albert and Armand are homonormative, or are "trying to perform as a heterosexual relationship," one is defining the heterosexual relationship as natural and normal while casting the queer relationship out as strange and...
  • Commented on From sissy to gay best friend
    So this may be a little off-topic and inappropriate for an educational setting, but I would just like to go off on a rant about how much I HATE the "gay best friend" dilemma. I see it happening constantly, and...
  • Commented on Visibility at any cost
    I've only seen Modern Family a couple of times, but I hear a lot about how problematic it is. Everyone was expecting it to be this revolutionary look into the life of real American families that doesn't impose judgement or...
  • Posted If you can't see me as a human being, I don't want you to see me at all. to Queer Cinema
    Hollywood is built on the reinforcement and/or creation of all stereotypes, not solely those that impact the queer community. This has led to suffering in all minority groups, if and when they are represented at all. In the queer...
  • Commented on I like queers
    This really reflects a compassion for humanity that would be nice to see more frequently. By saying that you like "queers," you are saying that you like everyone, as everyone has some aspect of queerness to their nature. I like...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Kelsey P.