Diane Cormany

• Commented on Blog Post for Sender reading
    I would love to know your thoughts on potential more global solutions....
  • Posted A marination on grading to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    From McSweeney's...
  • Commented on Andrejivic-Blog Post
    What do you think about his larger point regarding illusions of democracy vs. actual control?...
  • Commented on Worship at the Altar- Blogpost
    Jenkins key point is to move away from technological determinism and instead to a cultural shift towards participation. Given the centrality of the internet (publicly available since the early '90s) to this participation, does his argument rely on the availabiity...
  • Commented on Watching Ourselves- Blog Post
    Do you believe there are any drawbacks to surveillance? And does surveillance affect all equally?...
  • Commented on Watching Ourselves Blog Post
    Can you share the name of the film in case others are interesting?...
  • Commented on cultural citizenship/eat, pray, spend
    The idea of being able to eat and explore (and love) with no other commitments is appealing, isn't it?...
  • Commented on Blog Post- Cultural Citizenship
    Can you think of a way out of the dilemma you pose in the final two sentences?...
  • Commented on Worlds Apart-Blog
    I would love to see this show. Do you have a link? Or is it on Netflix?...
  • Commented on "Worlds Apart" Blog
    Would your show address the larger histories of physical and economic imperialism that created a "Third World"? I wonder how the ability to communicate globally (not available to all, of course, but far easier than even just a few years...
  • Commented on "World's Apart" - Blog Post
    Great distillation of Roy's key arguments. Regarding your final statement: Are you arguing for more isolationism or a different type of global relationship?...
  • Commented on Roy-Blog
    Are there other reasons that media producers may have for promoting US superiority, besides globalization? What might the impact be stateside?...
  • Commented on "Slumpy Class" blog post
    I meant The Simpsons....
  • Commented on "Slumpy Class" blog post
    It all comes back to Seinfeld, doesn't it? :)...
  • Commented on Epistemology of the Console blog
    Yes: His observations during the season finale definitely show him as that wise, knowing figure. Interesting that Eli's character has been able to recover from the incident with Marnie but that she hasn't--in her relationship with friends, at least. What...
  • Commented on Slumpy Blog
    Does the media hold the solution to the dilemma you pose at the end of your post?...
  • Commented on Lynne Joyrich
    Do you have thoughts on an answer? It would be great to discuss solutions here or during class. Are there any spaces anywhere that are free of consumerism and commodification? (Also, I don't know Test Patterns, so tell us more.)...
  • Commented on Blog post: Joyrich
    Fascinating that Rodenberry and Shatner have both acknowledge the possible reading of Spock/Kirk. I wonder if these (esp. Shatner) have come in response to fan response over the years. What do you think about George Takei's queer visibility?...
  • Commented on Blog post: Joyrich
    Could it be that Ellen is being a celeb like many others, and doesn't have an additional political responsibility?...
  • Commented on Blog post: Joyrich
    Do you believe that stereotyping is shown on MF, or not? Can you give other examples that support broad support in media? (Recent broadcast shows that focused more exclusively on gay characters have been cancelled, for example.)...
  • Commented on Blog Post-Gay Themed Television and the Slumpy Class
    I'd love to hear others chime in on your final question, which is a perceptive read on today's media landscape (or an aspect) How does irony factor in here, relating back to the Beattie reading?...
  • Commented on Buffy blog
    The question is why would people such as you and your peers have such a negative association with feminism? Who benefits from that?...
  • Commented on Buffy Blog
    The idea of collective empowerment is critical to Levine's article. One can be feminine while still committed to feminism, as with the Buffy finale (in which she fights wearing high heeled boots :)...
  • Commented on Blog Post - Advertising and the construction of Violent white Masculinity
    Media operate within given ideological conditions--it's a feedback loop in which they reflect social constructions and also contribute to them. So, I'm not sure we can say "there is no one to blame but the media."...
  • Commented on DQ- Violent White Masculinity
    Wow. A big question. I do think that taking power and control over one's life in ways that are available may explain some violence. At the same time, there is criminalization and limited life opportunity that comes from hegemonic constructions...
  • Commented on Blog Post-Violent White Masculinity
    Perhaps thinking about intersectionality can help get at the difference between white male of Af-Am male, etc., depictions of masculinity and violence. Hopefully our class discussion helped elucidate this. Part of his argument is the reaction of white males, in...
  • Commented on "Violent White Masculinity" - DQ
    Is daring somehow coded as masculine, and if so, why?...
  • Commented on Blog Post: Brasfield
    That makes me think that I should have shown the WAC Pack episode of ONB (where they vote according to categories). Not sure I can fit it in at this point, though :/...
  • Commented on Sex and the City: Blog Post
    By definition hegemony supports existing power structures. Therefore, a hegemonic view would support a particular race, class, and sexual power structure (white, wealthy, and heterosexual). I'm not clear about your critique, though....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Diane Cormany