Ryan Bean

• Posted 50 Jr. High students from Olson Middle School visit the archives to YMCA Archives News
    On January 11th Andersen Library was pleased to welcome 50 students from Olson Middle school, Bloomington, MN. These 6th and 7th graders who are preparing for History Day projects learned about primary sources and toured the facilities. One parent...
  • Posted New Andersen Exhibit! Headwaters of History to Learning in the Libraries
    A new exhibit will open this Wednesday April, 20th in the 1st floor gallery in Andersen Library. Titled "Headwaters of History," the exhibit showcases facets of Minnesota History from the collections of the University of Minnesota Libraries Archives and Special...
  • Posted Could Information Literacy have prevented Bart Simpsons birthday? to Learning in the Libraries
    Last month the Twitterverse declared February 23rd to be Bart Simpson's birthday. Being a lifelong Simpsons fan I thought it was odd that I had never celebrated my yellow friends entry into the world before. The website SplitSider tracked down...
  • Posted Real-Time View of What Scientists Are Reading to Learning in the Libraries
    Here is a link to a brief write up on some new tools created by Springer. The tools visualize in real time the use of Springer resources. Pretty cool site. I wonder what this would look like for some of...
  • Posted Eric Schmidt on Disruptive Technology to Learning in the Libraries
    Eric Schmidt (CEO/Google) and Jared Cohen (Director of Google Ideas) recently spoke at the Council on Foreign Relations. Their discussion centered on disruptive technologies with the smart phone highlighted as a prime candidate for the newest disruptive technology. This hour...
  • Posted Libraries in the WSJ to Learning in the Libraries
    An article in the Wall Street Journal this morning talks about a new threat to the public library system, book/DVD vending machines and lockers. I don't think book vending machines will be the end of academic libraries. However, they could...
  • Posted Assessing Impact to Learning in the Libraries
    With the reality of resources becoming scarcer, we are encouraged to be strategic in our outreach efforts. What we mean by strategic is up for debate. It could mean moving away from one off instruction offerings towards a more standardized one-size fits all...
  • Posted Libraries Workshop Evaluation Form to Learning in the Libraries
    Recently the Instruction Coordinators Group, created a short evaluation form for workshops. This quick and easy assessment was made using Google docs and is intended to help staff improve their instruction by getting patron feedback. While intended for workshops the evaluation  can be used...
  • Commented on Play at being a scholars...
    Archives are some of my favorite playgrounds! You have to ask questions to move forward through the material. Plus you learn that "I don't know" or "it depends" are perfectly fine answers, (as long as you have a follow up...
  • Posted Generation y, z, whatever... to Learning in the Libraries
    This video by a UK publishing firm is great! Replace "publishing" with "library" and it sounds awfully familiar to some of the conversations I've heard and had around the libraries. I love the way they literally flip the script, showing that these positions...
  • Posted Holy Cow! Now this is how you present a topic to Learning in the Libraries
    I can only imagine how much work went into this. This Russian website is dedicated to telling the Soviet story of WWII. The amount of content in here is unbelievable. The way they blend archival footage with modern oral histories...
  • Posted A Different Way to Present a Concept to Learning in the Libraries
    This video does a great job of presenting a complex concept, (the explosion of diverse life on earth) in a simple yet dramatic way. The challenge of introducing this topic is that the time scale is in the billions...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Ryan Bean

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page

Subscribe to Blog

Powered by MT-Notifier