Jan Fransen

• Posted Finding my way around the Engineering Literature to Jan the Librarian
    week from Monday I'll be shifting my work responsibilities for a short time. Goodbye, lists of books to buy or not buy; hello, lists of learning objectives and instruction scripts. (Oh, and sweats and slippers and my tranquil home office.)...
  • Posted Current Awareness and Personal Information Management Tools to Emerging Tech Expo
    Presenters: Kate Brooks and Jan FransenAt the Libraries, we're passionate about both connecting people with the information they need and keeping that information organized. We not only show our users how to keep up to date with the journals and...
  • Commented on Libraries in the WSJ
    Sounds like just an updated bookmobile (well, not so mobile, but at least convenient) to me. I think it's great....
  • Commented on Confessions of a Science Librarian
    Well, this particular example is gone. See "A Note from ScienceBlogs" here: http://scienceblogs.com/seed/2010/07/food_frontiers.php But what would it be an example of, exactly? Placing an industry-sponsored blog on a site like Science Blogs is certainly an odd choice. But since it...
  • Posted Working off-campus to Jan the Librarian
    Suppose you'd like to review some article citations and you're off campus. If you're feeling lucky, you can just search Google Scholar and find PDFs of the articles you want. But what if full text isn't freely available online?If University...
  • Posted A Library Seminar for Institute of Technology Faculty and Instructors to Jan the Librarian
    With a renewed focus on the first-year experience, a strong emphasis on capstone and design projects in the senior year, and renowned graduate programs, the Institute of Technology is committed to producing well-rounded students with a skill set that...
  • Posted January Workshops for Grad Students to Jan the Librarian
    Our Winter Break Workshops in Walter are designed specifically for graduate students in the sciences and engineering. They are free and open to anyone; just register by following the links below each event. Many more workshops are also available...
  • Posted Excel for Engineers to Jan the Librarian
    Next week I'm teaching a workshop called Excel for Engineers and Scientists. I taught a similar workshop at the instructor's request for a Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering class last winter, and have been eager to try it again as an...
  • Posted Academic Bread and Butter to Jan the Librarian
    If you are a graduate student or a faculty member, research is likely your primary focus. But you know that to continue to do the research you love, you need to develop two important skills: getting grants and publishing the...
  • Posted Gopher Gold Account Balance to Sci/Eng Library Reference Staff Blog
    Have you ever had anyone ask you how to get a receipt for what they've spent on the Gopher Gold card? I hadn't until today, but I can see where it might be a common need for paralegals and info...
  • Posted Aerospace Artistic Endeavors to Jan the Librarian
    One bright side of our recent cold, rainy weather: When I walk to the West Bank, I get to take a look at how different groups on campus express themselves. Every year, groups can sign up for a panel...
  • Posted Tutorials and Recorded Workshops to Jan the Librarian
    We love our Workshop Series here at the Libraries, but we know that many of you aren't on campus during the day, or just can't find the time to come over to Walter Library for a class. Therefore we're...
  • Posted Workshops @ Walter Sept 28-Oct 2 to Jan the Librarian
    My fellow engineering librarian Jon Jeffryes' knack for finding great Creative Commons images for blog posts never fails to impress me. He claims to love doing this, so I'm not even going to feel guilty about copying and pasting his...
  • Posted Engineering Research: A Guide to Finding and Contributing to Your Field's Literature to Jan the Librarian
    Last week, I had the pleasure of speaking at the Electrical & Computer Engineering Colloquium, hosted by Keshab Parhi, ECE Director of Graduate Studies. I discussed several aspects of scholarly communication:Finding books and articles with MNCAT Plus and Engineering VillageGetting...
  • Posted New Books for Electrical and Computer Engineering to Jan the Librarian
    These are just a few of the books of interest to Electrical and Computer Engineering faculty and students that we added to the collection at Walter Library this summer. If you have suggestions for the collection, please contact me. Optical...
  • Posted New Books for Computer Science to Jan the Librarian
    These are just a few of the Computer Science-related books we've added to the collection at Walter and available online this summer. If you have suggestions for the collection, please contact me. Artificial beings : the conscience of a conscious...
  • Posted New Books for Aerospace Engineering to Jan the Librarian
    These are just a few of the books we've added to the collection at Walter and online this summer. If you have suggestions for books to purchase, please contact me. Cold War tech war : the politics of America's air...
  • Posted Apollo's Impact to Jan the Librarian
    I have to admit that one paragraph of Neal Justin's Star Tribune piece on the moon walk as great television got under my skin. Justin, 17 months old at the time of the moon landing, writes:It's possible that many of...
  • Posted Getting What We Don't Have to Jan the Librarian
    What's that? You followed the directions in my previous post so that you could click on the FindIt! at U of M link and find an article or book, but the Find It screen says we don't have it? You're...
  • Posted Google Scholar is Your Friend to Jan the Librarian
    Last week Jon Jeffryes and I taught a Google for Researchers workshop. The outline of this particular workshop has always been fluid--we change it whenever Google releases something new that we think students, faculty, and staff will find useful. This...
  • Posted Summer Reading to Jan the Librarian
    via Jon Jeffryes:Are you looking for some thought-provoking reads to while away the summer hours? Would you like to have an opportunity for an informal discussion of science related topics? You may be interested in the Big Bang Book Club....
  • Posted Changes in the Science & Engineering Library to News from the AEM Librarian
    With the retirement of our esteemed colleague Gary Fouty, we're shifting subject responsibilities. I'll still be the liaison for Aerospace Engineering & Mechanics, and I'll be adding Electrical & Computer Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, and History of Science &...
  • Posted New design launched using Movable Type to Jan the Librarian
    Our web site is sporting a new look and feel thanks to Movable Type and the Professional Template Set. The Professional Template Set makes it possible for just about anyone to get up and running with a new web...
  • Posted New Books in Civil Engineering to News from the Civil Engineering Librarian
    We have some of the new books available online or at Walter Library that may interested students, faculty, and staff in Civil Engineering. You can always find complete lists of new books on our website. Theory of beam columnsNorwood Mass....
  • Posted New Books in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics to News from the AEM Librarian
    We have some of the new books available online or at Walter Library that may interested students, faculty, and staff in Aerospace Engineering. You can always find complete lists of new books on our website. Historical dictionary of aviation :...
  • Posted Scimagine! 2009: Solar House to News from the Civil Engineering Librarian
    SCImagine! 2009: Solar House on the Prairie Who? UMN Solar House Decathlon Team What? Over 150 students in 10 teams from all over campus working to build one house completely powered by the sun! Come learn about their innovation!...
  • Posted Scimagine! 2009: Solar House to News from the AEM Librarian
  • Posted Register your team for the Science Quiz Bowl! to News from the Civil Engineering Librarian
    The Science Quiz Bowl is coming up as part of IT Week. It's the annual friendly knowledge contest sponsored by the Mathematics and Science & Engineering Libraries. Registration is open and limited to IT students. Teams consist of four...
  • Posted Register your team for the Science Quiz Bowl! to News from the AEM Librarian
  • Posted Who owns your scholarship? to News from the Civil Engineering Librarian
    Registration is officially closed, but you can still join us TODAY (Monday, February 16) at 2:30 in the Coffman Great Hall to hear a presentation by Dr. Kenny Crews, Founding Director of Columbia University's Copyright Advisory Office. Dr. Crews is...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Jan Fransen