Katherine Jonas

• Commented on Writing Process Reflection
    In addition to what I said, I would like to say that the peer review has been very helpful. Rachel connects to what I am trying to say because she has/does work in the service industry which is very helpful....
  • Posted Writing Process Reflection to GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
    From the beginning of this semester, my writing process has been changing and developing into something that I want it to be. The readings that we did, especially in the beginning, have helped me to find my own voice in...
  • Commented on Intro paragraph
    Your explanation of what you mean is really coming along. Are you planning to examine/critique some of these organizations you are talking about? I think that that, combined with suggestions to improve the organizations would be really interesting and productive...
  • Commented on intro and outline (draft)
    Jackie-great start to your paper. I really like how you are introducing the topic. One thing that I am interested in hearing more about comes in your sentence, "I haven't been brutalized by police (yet) largely in part to my...
  • Commented on Intro/Outline Assignment
    I am really interested to hear about how these workshops turned out, especially the similarities and differences that you found in the spaces. Are you planning to include our class as one of the workshops? I am also curious about...
  • Posted Introduction! to GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
    The first part of the project that the reader will see is my poem. The pages to follow will look something like this: Introduction: Presenting: Acts of the Restaurant "Today waiters are expected to be food-allergy specialists, sommeliers, cell-phone-rule enforcers,...
  • Commented on Last 4 Annotated Bibliography Entries
    These all sound really interesting! I think the Playing with Fire one will be interesting in conjunction with the Visweswaran source and your personal engagement. The last text by Bond sounds like a really great way to relate your experience...
  • Commented on Feministing with Mom
    Although you and your mom did not talk on subjects that you were looking for, I think that the conversation was really interesting and I think it was very productive that you let her lead the conversation. It is really...
  • Posted Updated Survey! to GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
    Senior Project Survey: For my senior project, I am exploring the complexities of identity and the idea of performance in the service industry. In thinking about gender, age, race and sexual orientation, how do you think these influence you as...
  • Posted Thesis Statement and Theoretical Approach! to GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
    Katherine Jonas 3/10/2010 Working Thesis: In this project, I will explore functions of performance in the restaurant business focusing on, but not limited to sexism, ageism, heterosexism and racism as factors. My goal is to investigate habits or methods of...
  • Favorited Positionality Paper Intro on GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
  • Commented on Shine
    AHHH Rebecca! This was awesome. I love it! I listened to it twice, but I would love to hear it live to catch more of the words. Lets just say, you could rap. Theoretical yet entertaining: well done....
  • Commented on Positionality Intro
    I really like your comment, "it would not be me..." I often feel that as well. No matter how many categories I place on myself, no one will ever know "me." Including myself at many times! I agree with Kandace,...
  • Commented on Positionality Paper Intro
    Wow. I love this. I feel and see the picture. Well done! I can't wait to read more!...
  • Commented on positionality
    Jackie, I am eager to see how this passion transfers into your senior project. Your identity and experiences show that this is a great topic choice and opportunity for you....
  • Posted Poem in Progress! to GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
    I decided to begin my positionality paper with a poem about my history of working in the restaurant business. I used the restaurants' actual names for this project, but if I were to include this in my project I would...
  • Posted Annotations (3) to GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
    Hamermesh, DS., & Biddle, JE. "Beauty and the Labor Market." American Economic Review, 84(5). 1994. pp. 1174-1194. Hamermesh and Biddle's work is similar to Lynn's article in the sense of gathering data and categorizing factors of beauty. They take a...
  • Posted Annotated Bibliography (4 Sources) to GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
    Dublanica, Steve. Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter. Harper Collins Publishers. 2008. When I read the dedication of this book, I knew it was for me. Dublanica dedicated the book to his mother, father and anyone...
  • Posted Annotated Bibliography to GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
    Bordo, Susan. Unbearable weight. Los Angeles, CA: The Regents of the University of California. 1993 In this book, Bordo discusses the body politic through body image. This includes such issues of weight, weight loss, media images, movies, eating disorder, etc....
  • Commented on Project Description: Men and Feminism
    I have the same reaction: Wow! This sounds like such a great direction for a project for you because you obviously have a lot of passion and curiosity surrounding mens' involvement in feminism. Although there are a lot of sections...
  • Commented on Project Description: A Feminist Perspective on the Criminal Justice System (working on the title)
    Jackie - great idea. I am very curious in your topic. I really like Kandace's idea about looking at the show "Lockdown". If you took that route you could also look at examples from other television shows like Cops, First...
  • Posted The Marketability of Beauty and Uses of the Erotic in the Workplace. to GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
    For my project, I plan to explore discrimination as well as the interpersonal exchange that occurs in the restaurant business. I will look at how these operate in relation to one another. Although it is not limited to these factors,...
  • Posted An Unmarked History Presentation to GWSS 4108W Senior Seminar
    When I walked into the media center, I did not know how effected I would be by Katie's presentation. I was ready to sit down, relax and watch a really good film. Then I would write my extra credit and...
  • Posted Our "Politically Correct" World: Sallow Hal to GWSS 3307: Feminist Film Studies, Fall 2008
    Upon entering any social situation, today’s society has an immediate response to the people around them. We look around and examine the people we are with. The two most obvious signifiers are race and size. The difference between the two...
  • Posted Bound and Categorized to GWSS 3307: Feminist Film Studies, Fall 2008
    Throughout the film Bound, the most interesting binding reference to me was that of Corkey’s character. First, she was bound by her past. She had been taken advantage of and it landed her in jail. There was a moment of...
  • Posted The Unknown to GWSS 3307: Feminist Film Studies, Fall 2008
    While watching the lesbian sex scenes in Bound, one is enlightened into a realm of homosexual unknown with regards to the media. Besides in pornography, lesbian sex is not regularly displayed in the media today. I can not easily place...
  • Posted Bridging the Division to GWSS 3307: Feminist Film Studies, Fall 2008
    The debate between pro and anti-sex work feminists creates a division that is weakening the strength of feminism. Instead of fueling this separation we must unite and focus on the safety and wellbeing of the females working in this industry....
  • Posted Iranian Women and "The Veil" to GWSS 3307: Feminist Film Studies, Fall 2008
    When analyzing the private and public sphere, the scene most relative to Western culture was when Marji and her boyfriend were driving and holding hands. The action was abruptly stopped because authority drove by. In Western culture this is considered...
  • Posted Sole Survivor to GWSS 3307: Feminist Film Studies, Fall 2008
    In the 1979 film, Alien, there was a sense of family between the visible characters as well as the invisible “archaic mother? present. The characters had specific roles and representations in the family. Dallas represented the father figure. He was...
  • Posted Sisterhood, Loyalty and Landscapes to GWSS 3307: Feminist Film Studies, Fall 2008
    How are sisterhood and loyalty established? In the movie “Set It Off? sisterhood and loyalty were established when the women’s lives started collapsing. After their first robbery there was a scene with the women joined in sisterhood embracing each other...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Katherine Jonas