JT

• Posted An Orientation to Orientation to Learning Abroad
    I was literally the last person to board the flight from Dulles Airport (Washington, D.C.) to Johannesburg, South Africa. My flight from Minneapolis arrived at Dulles late, and I had ten minutes to get to the gate before they closed...
  • Posted Africa, Here I Come! to Learning Abroad
    After a couple of busy packing days, I am happy to say that I have packed 130 pounds of supplies and 20 pounds of personal items into three suitcases and am ready to head to Africa. I am bypassing...
  • Posted Great Week to Treks Explore
    Thanks to all of our explorer colleagues for sharing so many good ideas and class assignments. It has been a good week, and I now have so many good ideas for improving my classes. Thanks to all the IT fellows...
  • Posted Day #4: Ready, Set, Go! to Treks Explore
    Today was a good day as we had ample time to work through our project proposals in detail. I'm looking forward to learning more about what my colleagues are planning to do over the next year or so. It's exciting...
  • Posted Day 3: More on Copyright to Treks Explore
    I have to admit that I was a bit overwhelmed by Nancy Sims' presentation on Copyright yesterday. I chose to ignore the content for about 18 hours, but the reality of how quickly items are pulled from the web (especially...
  • Posted Day 2: Technology as a Tool and the Many Perspectives of Web 2.0 to Treks Explore
    I appreciated the opportunity to think more about how technology is a tool to use in education, and the importance of questioning the use of technology--there should be a clear educational objective for having students learn how to use different...
  • Posted Day 1: A Reflection to Treks Explore
    Things I learned *If an instructor has a student with a disability, transcription services for a video are available by emailing ! Yes! *MIT has placed their entire curriculum online. *Some students have high expectations about short response times to...
  • Posted Yay! We Passed! to Treks Transform 2010
    Thanks to everyone for making this an excellent opportunity for learning. There is nothing like getting a group of teachers together to share teaching ideas and seeing the products! I look forward to working with you in the future. Thanks...
  • Posted Three Descriptive Words for Web 2.0 to Treks Transform 2010
    spontaneous communicative prattle I have learned a lot today, and I have enjoyed learning more about other Trekkers' ideas for their work. I can't wait to see the presentations tomorrow. Remember, if you have a Facebook account, you should join...
  • Posted Here We Are to Treks Transform 2010
  • Posted How To Do It All ... Or Not! to Treks Transform 2010
    ‎"OK, so you know about all of these great tools out there that can transform teaching and learning in your classroom but all you have is an ancient PC in the corner of your room. How can you effectively integrate...
  • Posted Light at the End of the Tunnel. . . to Treks Transform 2010
    "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, it is the light of the oncoming train." -Robert Lowell Things came together this afternoon as I continue to work on the videos for the first day of my fall...
  • Posted Uff Da! to Treks Transform 2010
    "One of the effects of living with electric information is that we live habitually in a state of information overload. There's always more than you can cope with." -- Marshall McLuhan I have come to the point of reckoning as...
  • Posted Online and f2f teaching strategies: How much does one impact the other? to Treks Transform 2010
    Stacey DeLoose, a PhD candidate at Wayne State University in Michigan, led a discussion about what might an instructor who teaches traditional courses and then moves those courses to an online format bring from that online course into the traditional...
  • Posted iPads? to Treks Transform 2010
    Has anyone attending the DT&L conference heard any presenter speak about using the iPad in an educational context? If so, what have you learned?...
  • Posted The Evolving Use of Web-Conferencing Technology in Childcare Practioner Education to Treks Transform 2010
    Although this presentation focused on childcare providers, I found this session to be interesting because they demonstrated a Web-conferencing program called WebEx which was created as a business application. Rick Morgan and Linda Hurst from the Univ. of Wisconsin-Platteville explained...
  • Posted (Sort of) A Wild Night at the Great Dane to Treks Transform 2010
    It was a memorable night!...
  • Posted Four R's in multimedia projects: Rationale, roles, resources, and rubrics to Treks Transform 2010
    These presenters demonstrated some best practices in the design and evaluation of a multimedia project by sharing a multimedia assignment and their development of a multimedia rubric. The main takeaways from this session for me include the importance of including...
  • Posted The "Truth" about Online Learning Communities to Treks Transform 2010
    I have yet to discover the truth after sitting through this presentation that focused on the research of knowledge generation online. If anyone sees the "Truth", please let me know....
  • Posted Lightning Sessions, Hall of Ideas E, 4:30PM on Weds. to Treks Transform 2010
    Holy Smokes! There is nothing like attending an educational technology conference and watching the speakers' assistant operate the PPT presentations with great difficulty. This session incorporated four different speakers/speaker dyads who were supposed to speak for ten minutes about their...
  • Posted Using Slides as Your Stage, Part 2 (PM-7) to Treks Transform 2010
    Like Lori, I really enjoyed this presentation because it provided me with a framework which I can adopt for my speech classes and teach my students how to use. Presenters Traci Nathans-Kelly and Christine Nicometo from the Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison...
  • Posted Visual and Video Media (AM-2) to Treks Transform 2010
    This morning workshop led by Ellen Smythe and Marcy Dickson from Austin Peay State University focused on a variety of visual and video media software and hardware tools that could be used to enhance teaching/learning online. The following products were...
  • Posted ABC News Is Trying to Fact Check! to Incredible References
    Today's issue of the Minnesota Daily provides a clear description of how ABC News is working to check the truthfulness of statements made by guests on the "This Week" show. A few attempts have been made during the presidential and...
  • Posted In South Africa (still in transit) to Moz Trip 2009
    Hi. We've made it this far! Only a short flight remains from Johannesburg to Beira, Mozambique. The best word to describe our flights thus far: sleep! We're staying at a lovely guest house called Marben Manor (link: http://www.marbenmanor.co.za/ ) which...
  • Posted Heading Out! to Moz Trip 2009
    Today is the big day! I will be traveling about 24 hours total to Mozambique. I fly from MSP->Amsterdam (8-8.5 hour flight), 3 hour layover in Amsterdam, then fly from Amsterdam->Johannesburg (10-10.5 hour flight), and then overnight in Johannesburg. On...
  • Posted HIV/AIDS Rates in South of Mozambique On The Rise to Moz Trip 2009
    The Mozambican government regards the HIV prevalence in the south of the country as "alarming", since the incidence of the virus is much higher than the national average of 16 per cent among Mozambicans aged between 15 and 49. The...
  • Posted Fast Facts on Mozambique to Moz Trip 2009
    *Located in southeast Africa on the Indian Ocean *Larger than California with a population of 20 million people *Under Portuguese influence for over 400 years achieving independence from Portugal in 1975 *Most adults have elementary-level education *Many live on $30...
  • Posted Five Days Left to Moz Trip 2009
    We leave in five days and have a lot of suitcases packed already. Thank you so much to those of you who have donated supplies (pencils, paper, pens, erasers, elastic bandages, sphygmometers, various baking pans, and so on) as well...
  • Posted A Closer Look at Moz to Moz Trip 2009
    I will be working in a community outside of Beira (in central Moz) which is located about 45 minutes from the Beira International Airport. (If you look at the word "Mozambique" on the map, Beira is to the left....
  • Posted Where is Mozambique? to Moz Trip 2009
    Mozambique ("Moz" for short) is located in southeastern Africa on the Indian Ocean. It is bordered by Tanzania, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia, Swaziland, and Malawi....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from JT