Brooke Adams

• Commented on Question Submission 12
    This is a great question and I wondered the same thing. The concept of reduction did not come clear to me until I read Alex Rosenberg's "The Structure of Biological Science". From Rosenberg's perspective reduction can combine narrower theories into...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    In the beginning of Alexander Rosenberg's 4th chapter, he discusses the motives for reduction. He states that "our current theories do not constitute THE truth about the world, but they are closer to it than their predecessors..." This statement really...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    After reading Hull's "Reduction of Mendelian Genetics," I find myself wondering why reduction is necessary and wondering if it is really possible. I just don't understand why it is necessary to reduce a theory? It seems like more of a...
  • Commented on Question Submission 11
    In Kenneth Schaffner's The Watson-Crick Model and Reductionism, one of Schaffner's main claims is that biology can be reduced to chemistry and physics. I understand the part where biology can be reduced to chemistry by looking at the chemical structure...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    At the end of lecture on Thursday, Professor Love was going over some of the questions asked on the blog. He was saying that we are taught about the scientific method in the wrong manner from an early age, which...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    I had the exact same question that was posed here. Avery's study may not have well received because he was not well known and at the time, his discovery was not understood and it's importance wasn't recognized. His findings were...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    In Chapter 2 (The One Gene-One Enzyme Hypothesis), Morange discusses the importance of Beadle and Tatum's work. During Beadle's Harvey lecture he stated that his work led to the unification of biochemistry and genetics, by showing a link between genes...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    I don't think that Professor Waters would accept that experimentation on artificially constructed situations could reveal universal laws. After listening to him lecture, I believe that he would be conservative and believe that the laws only apply to the scenarios...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    In Waters "How Practical Know-How Contextualizes Theoretical Knowledge: Exporting Casual Knowledge from Laboratory to Nature", the second section discusses the "received model". He states, "because it relates to what has been called the received view of scientific theory...on this view,...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    In Tuesday's lecture, Professor Waters was describing the different scientific domains (theory centered and practice conception). For the theory centered domain, there is some theory that that can explain a wide variety of problems. Water's practice conception, consists of a...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    This is the same point that I was making in my question. I don't completely understand it either. I don't think there is a "correct" way to look at them. It is basically if you believe there is depends on...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    In lecture on Thursday, Professor Griesemer was clarifying his views of material overlap after Godfrey-Smith had said it was too narrow. To do so, he discussed that there are different resolutions (low and high) to looking at the issue. He...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    I think the picture that Professor Griesemer showed of the quaking aspen shows that they have gone through evolutionary changes because the groups of trees are of different colors. Also, there are so many of the "trees" that they had...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    On Tuesday Professor Griesemer was making the point that Mendel is a developmentalist rather than a geneticist. He made the point that the term 'develop' was used almost sixty times throughout Mendel's paper. Then on Thursday Professor was talking about...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    It is more important to males to carry out their genetic lines. I recently learned in an individual differences class that males, evolutionarily, are out looking to produce because they have an unlimited amount of sperm and time to reproduce....
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    It was stated in chapter 5 of Moore that we can conclude sex is determined at fertilization, at the chromosomal level, because of the presence of the X or Y chromosome (or lack of a second chromosome). At least in...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    I don’t think that you can say that one particular part of Boveri’s experiment was impressive, but that the experiment in its entirety was impressive. The number of fertilizations was huge but the sea urchin is able to lay millions...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    While Theodore Boveri was performing his study on Sea Urchin Chromosomes, the belief was that if things look alike, they are alike in other ways. Boveri believed this to be wrong. He thought that the chromosomes acted differently and all...
  • Commented on Question Submission 2
    I am also quite confused by this statement, it didn't make any sense to me so I decided to do some research. The information that I found was saying the same things stated in the question such as Mendel being...
  • Commented on Question Submission 2
    In Gregor Mendel’s Experiments in Plant Hybridization, it is stated that there is evidence that the hybrids are not an intermediate form between the two parent species. Sometimes one parent’s characteristics are shown in a greater quantity in the offspring...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    I found this to be an interesting question because it would seem that way and had to "look outside the box" to give my answer. Living in the United States, I think it would seem like many of the sources...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    My question comes from The Image of Perfection and Its Demise but ties in with On The Origin of Species. One of the assumptions of natural theology is that nature is perfect because it is God’s creation. A natural theologian,...
  • Commented on Trial Run
    Mendel...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Brooke Adams

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page