Amanda Kabage

• Commented on Question Submission 14 (Last One)
    In Professor Love’s article I found myself very interested in his discussion of temporality. Thinking about my area of expertise as a cancer researcher, I think about the methods of how cancer research is conducted. It makes more sense to...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    In section 4.3 of Rosenberg’s chapter he talks about reductionism and recombinant DNA. He discusses how rapidly emerging biotechnologies provide “a new, reliable, high-speed method of determining primary structure and its effects on biological function.” Rosenberg then correlates biotechnology to...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    In regards to your first question, I strongly agree with you. I find trouble with how reductionism can really help understand science better. Physics, mathematics, and chemistry are all utilized when studying genetics, but this doesn’t mean that the study...
  • Commented on Question Submission 11
    Though Schaffner’s article doesn’t provide a specific description of how biology could be reduced to physics, many physical concepts can definitely be applied to biology. The physics classes I took during my undergrad tried to apply physics specifically to biology...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    In chapter 7, Morange discusses the importance physicists played in the development of molecular biology, specifically pointing at Schrodinger’s book “What is Life?” In chapter 11 as he tells the story of the discovery of the double helix structure, he...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    Throughout the history of science, there are a number of “controversial” overlooked or understated scientific discoveries. Alfred Wallace is never as closely related to evolutionary theory as Darwin. Rosalind Franklin didn’t receive the Nobel Prize for the discovery of the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    In the introduction of Morange’s book he discusses the difficulties associated with trying to establish an accurate historical portrayal of modern science. He identifies two major hurdles, the first being an overabundance of source material to reconstruct the historical details,...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    Being that I conduct scientific research, I too find myself questioning how reflecting upon past scientific breakthroughs applies to current research. The thing I find concerning throughout this course is the sentiment from our professors that philosophers often overlook much...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    In chapter 3 of Professor Waters’ manuscript, as well as in his lecture last Thursday, he discussed the importance of the maps created by Morgan and his team. I found it surprising that the constructional and valuation maps have been...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    From my limited knowledge of the history of Morgan, I believe his attempts to separate heredity and development were deemed controversial because of other relevant work that emerged during that time. Mendel’s work was rediscovered, Boveri & Sutton’s work provided...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    After reading Griesemer’s paper, I found myself also questioning to what level the concept of an evolutionary unit applies. An important component to Griesemer’s case regards the definition of an evolutionary transition, which are, to quote Maynard Smith and Szathmary,...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    On pages 23-24, Waters discusses the importance of recognizing the connections between individual populations and the types of difference makers. He states on page 24, “The intricacies of these kinds of relationships have important implications for the exportation of casual...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    Synthetic biology is the most fascinating emerging biotechnology today, in my opinion. Synthetic biology interconnects geneticists, engineers, and programmers in a way that new life forms will be created with specific functions in mind. The actual behavior of the organism...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    Griesemer argues that the units of selection should be expanded beyond Dawkins’s view which only includes genes. He extends the definition of units of selection to reproducers rather than replicators; defining a reproducer as an entity capable of multiplying and...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    In “Tracking Organic Processes: Representations and Research Styles in Classical Embryology and Genetics,” Griesemer discusses the significance of the precise language Mendel used, specifically the frequency of the word “development” to support his argument that Mendel’s process intended to study...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    As a scientist, I am very interested in trying to understand the connections between philosophy and science. From my perspective, the simplest way to define science’s goals is to say that science is the study of the natural world. Philosophy,...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    By the end of the 19th century, preformationism had been discarded due to the emergence of cell theory, specifically the understanding of meiosis, mitosis, and fertilization. Epigenesis, the development of an organism through a sequence of steps, became the primary...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    “On the Origin of Species” is most definitely a biological piece of work, and thus Darwin’s intent was not to discredit or even begin to engage in an argument against creationism. The intention was simply to introduce his theory of...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    In Chapter III Darwin discusses the rates in which organisms increase in population size as one component of the “struggle for existence”. Darwin refers to Malthus on page 64, which is of no surprise since it is known that Darwin’s...
  • Commented on Trial Run
    Mendel...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Amanda Kabage

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page