WesleyMilde

• Commented on Question Submission 14 (Last One)
    I think the last question you had perfectly describes why reduction fails, the majority of the time it does. The cases that I can imagine in which going up and down is difficult, because of the lack of scientific evidence,...
    In Prof. Waters's "Beyond Theoretical Reduction...." I was interested by his talk of theoretical reasoning and investigative strategies that advanced the investigative powers by producing new methodologies. Furthermore, he talks about how this increased the investigative utility and is now...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    I think your question is interesting because I was wondering the same thing. I think I understand inter-level but I don't quite know what intra-level means... I guess I am left wondering where the distinction of intra and inter is...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    In Rosenberg's "The Structure of Biological Science" (1985) he starts section 4.7 'Qualifying Reductionism' by making the claim, "Even if we traced out the complete pathway through all the causally relevant macromolecules from DNA to phenotype, we would not have...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    "Ok. Then, one could say that Mendelian genetics was a form of naive molecular genetics -and as some of these complexities were recognised scientists moved to molecular genetics." I think some of these complexities were recognized by earlier scientists but...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    My question this week has to do with the distinction that Hull makes in his Chapter One between the historical view of reduction and the rational view of reduction. Hull says the former is concerned with the historical process of...
  • Commented on Question Submission 11
    I think your question is interesting for a couple of reasons. The first is that this was a main topic of discussion today in class and the second is in the reduction of biology to chemistry and chemistry to physics....
  • Commented on Question Submission 11
    In Schaffner 1969 he talks about the reduction of biology to chemistry. On pp. 341 Schaffner is narrowed in on the Colinearity Hypothesis. He states that the genetic map, the DNA sequence, and the amino acid polypeptide sequence are all...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    I think your question is interesting because it brings the political structure of human knowledge into question with regard to the scientific communities. I think the "politicization" of different disciplines of science is the result of a combination of funding,...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    In Thursday's Lecture and Discussion we talked a little about the "advertising" aspect of science. More specifically Prof. Love noted that the level of acceptance of a theory &/or experimental results often is in direct correlation to the people presenting...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    I think your question for this week is interesting for two reasons. First, I agree with your statement that this book is an easy read for non-biologists. Secondly, I think your question about where we would be without physicists... and...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    I guess what you are hinting at gets down to the question of what you, because at this basic level it is a personal belief, believe the function of science to be... I am more interested in understanding reality as...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    "For this reason, it seems that inaccuracies in the calculated distances between alleles are inevitable." I think your question is most interesting because I was traveling on a similar train of thought... I feel that the inaccuracies in the calculated...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    My question has to do with the linear arrangement of genes on the standard genetic map that represent the serial order of genes in chromosomes... Waters says Morgan and Bridges "suspected that the crossover rate per unit of physical distance...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    I think your question is interesting because the application of one theory can indeed give a wide variety of domain(s). I also liked your question because it raised more questions in my mind like: what exactly a domain is, considered...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    In Tuesday's Lecture Prof. Waters presented his aw-inspiring diagrams that showed knowledge (scientific) on one side and aspects of the world on the other. I can see how the domain of science is equal to the explanatory range in the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    I think your question is interesting because your use of the example of albinism is one that seems to fit the Morgan Paradox. With that said, I also find myself very confused if this is a GOOD example to fit...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    In reading "Darwinian Populations & Natural Selection" by Peter Godfrey - Smith I found myself focusing on the distinction made between the Tree of Life understanding of Evolutionary Biology and the account of how change occurs within populations and species...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    I think your comment this week was interesting, partly due to my shared interest in the topic you discussed but furthermore due to the way you understood the connection between building life and the definitions of heredity and development. The...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    In last Thursday's Lecture, Prof. Griesemer talked about evolved Mechanisms of Development within the context of reproduction. My question may seem too obvious due to my severe lack of a solid Biology background, but I am oblivious to what exactly...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    Also, I thought your question was interesting because it focuses on exactly what I thought was the main picture Griesemer was trying to paint us during Lecture on Tuesday....
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    I think that Griesemer is saying exactly what you think. This was stressed by Griesemer in his lecture, namely when he mentioned the necessary assumption of equal distribution of factors. I do not know that our interpretation of Mendel's data...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    In Sturtevant (1913) during the discussion of the link between the sex of a fly & the wing length and the sex of a fly and the eye color, I was struck by something whilst reading about coupling. Specifically I...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    I think these experiments appear MORE pivotal in hindsight. I do not, however, think that any experiment that operated on that level of detail, especially for the time in which the experiment was developed, could be considered nonchalantly. AKA it...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    My question arose when reading "6 Identities and Localizations" from the assigned reading for this week. pp.456 Where I become confused is in reading "Exact localizations of two things to the same spatio-temporal region preserve all spatio-temporal properties of identities,12...
  • Commented on Question Submission 2
    I think the ideas you are dwelling on here are very interesting. I believe that Mendel was worried about generalizing from his peas to other organisms because he understood the depth of the task he was involved in. Mendel's name,...
  • Commented on Question Submission 2
    My question this week was sparked while reading the Extinction section of the Fourth Chapter: Natural Selection in the Origin of Species and considering the response I got on my question last week. butch037 said, in part: "I think that...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    craw0119 asked: "...With this in mind, could it be argued that Darwin's theory of pangenesis is an example of where foundational beliefs themselves often function as a bias in the construction of a theory? Is this an example of why...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    On the topic of nature selecting for local improvements within individuals and the way these improvements lead to the maximization of success, not only within the individual but throughout the population. These improvements are considered to be so due to...
  • Commented on Trial Run
    MENDEL...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from WesleyMilde

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page