Molly Paxton

• Commented on Question Submission 12
    My question for this week is a bit of an aside, having to do with a philosophical position that Hull brought up in this first chapter. He mentions something called an "operational definition", or an "operational position" and I am...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    Morange suggests that "the history of the installation of these machines [ultracentrifuges and centrifuges] has yet to be written", and goes on to say that such a history will "teach us a great deal about the diffusion of theoretical models...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    I found Morange's first few chapters to be clearly written. My question is based on the historiographical question that he posed in the introduction, as well as on how he chose to go about his first few chapters. In his...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    My question is from Prof. Waters' manuscript and subsequent lecture on Gene-Causation and the Transmission Theory of Classical Genetics. I am very sympathetic with a research program that focuses on the practice of science. As Prof. Waters' frames the questions...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    My question is from Godfrey-Smith's chapter Reproduction and Individuality and has to do with his reply to Griesemer's concern for the 'capacity to develop' as being necessary for reproduction. (I realize that Godfrey-Smith wrote that this topic would be...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    My question comes from Prof. Griesemer's chapter entitled Tracking Organic Processes: Representations and Research Styles in Classical Embryology and Genetics. In it, he wrote that "paying attention to particular aspects or properties in order to follow a process, marking interventions,...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    My question has to do with Dr. Wimsatt's paper Reductionism and its Heuristics, in particular centering around the role that heuristics play. Wimsatt writes that "[p]hilosophers start in the wrong place to understand most debates in the complex sciences, taking...
  • Commented on Question Submission 2
    Moore makes it extremely clear that Walther Flemming is to be credited with having provided a great deal of understanding to the mechanics of what we now understand to be mitosis. Flemming's empirical observations, along with his instance that living...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    roha0014: To what extent did Darwin consider natural selection a predictive theory? Darwin seems to give conflicting views on this matter, claiming early that the complicated and sometimes mystical effects of heredity and conditions of life create an infinitely complex...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    My question has to do with the scientific conversations taking place on speciation and variation around the time immediately preceding Darwin's publication of Origin. Darwin writes that he is more interested those variations which are inherited than those which are...
  • Commented on Trial Run
    Mendel...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Molly Paxton

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page