Melody

• Commented on 96.3 NOW Convergence and Fan Culture
    Yes excellent point Sean. There are severe limits to this "active" participant. We can only participate in ways defined by the media company. Attempts to thwart those limits are quickly batted down (refusing to play rap, for example)....
  • Commented on Last Blog
    Great blog post, Stephanie. Very detailed!...
  • Commented on Last Blog Post
    great blog post, Jamie. very detailed!...
  • Commented on FINAL DQS FOR THE SEMESTER GO HERE.
    From Sean: "After reading Radway's article "Women Read the Romance: The Interaction of Text and Context," I found the statistics of these women and their overall identity to be interesting. The overall characteristic we receive about these women is that...
  • Posted FINAL DQS FOR THE SEMESTER GO HERE. to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Thank you, smart people!...
  • Commented on Make-up blog!
    LOL, looks like "niceguy44" is telling you what's up! That is SO not me, by the way....
  • Posted last blog prompt ever :((((((( to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Last blog prompt and peer response of the semester! This week we will be discussing convergence culture and fan culture through specific media texts (American Idol, romance novels). In your blog post discuss a specific media text you see as...
  • Posted Post DQs for Tuesday here to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Just two more classes to submit DQs!...
  • Commented on Make-up blog post week 3 feminism/post feminism
    Interesting comment Molly for two reasons: 1. Douglas was theorizing the hyper-powerful woman stereotype manifested in the media, not so much in real life and 2. I always like to think how we would talk about men who are "crazy"...
  • Commented on thought this picture was fitting for class
    this is great Molly, thanks! I will save this for next semester's feminism week!...
  • Commented on Final Paper
    Hi Matthew. Sounds very interesting. Remember the paper options are either doing a compare/contrast of two media texts (one "positive" one more problematic), OR looking at a media reform org. Can you explain more how this fits in with one...
  • Commented on A little something
    thanks for posting, Michelle....
  • Commented on Final Paper
    Sounds good Lisa. For understanding the Prop. Model reading, I would focus on the categories they use to explain how news is propaganda. Ownership, anti-communism, flak, etc. It is easier to get if you just list out the categories they...
  • Commented on Blog Post 8
    Sounds interesting Jace.For your argument you may want to look at what perceptions of a NFL quarterback these websites are pushing. what values, characteristics are they implying are good v. bad for a QB to have? really pick apart the...
  • Posted Blog prompt this week: catch up! to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Hi all. This week you can play catch up with blog posts. This is your chance to craft a blog post you missed. In the title of the blog post, let me know which week you are making up for....
  • Commented on Final paper ideas
    1. No problem using a paper idea I suggested 2. You may re-think looking at so many websites for such a short paper. I think comparing Cosmo to hairpin is PLENTY. Looking at many websites is going to make your...
  • Commented on blog post
    Cool!...
  • Commented on Blog prompt
    You should try outlining before you continue to write. List out the big points you want to make--and follow that! Will help you avoid rants!...
  • Commented on Final paper blog response
    This seems very focused, Rachel. Looking forward to your paper....
  • Commented on Final Paper Topic
    sounds good! You may want to look at the book "Fast Food Nation" (I have a copy if needed)--to help you talk about McDs and advertising!...
  • Commented on Final paper blog prompt!
    Michelle--I would search Google Scholar--a bunch of work done on Korean Pop is listed!...
  • Commented on Response to Prompt for My Final Paper
    Great idea to focus on a specific news show episode on a specific topic. Looking forward to your paper!...
  • Commented on Blog Prompt- Paper Topic
    sounds good Michelle--let me know if you have any questions!...
  • Commented on Blog prompt- Final Paper
    The MEF is a great org to look at--we have watched some of their films in class :) I would rather you explore this org than NOT just b/c course content does not fit perfectly. Talk to me and we...
  • Commented on Blog post 8
    Cool paper topic. You may be a candidate for more outside research and less course readings. There is A LOT of feminist work done on young girls and media. Let me know if you need help with sources. I can...
  • Commented on My Final Paper Idea..
    Sounds great Jamie. As for your concerns: you can always do a screen shot of the website and save it to your computer to avoid content going away. (usually a keyboard has a "PrntScr" button--check it out! You just have...
  • Commented on blog res final paper
    Sounds good Austin. You can for sure look at "convergence culture" with Sponge Bob--products beyond the TV show (we read about this next week). I am sure you will find a lot of info. May be worth looking into PBS's...
  • Commented on Final Paper
    sounds great Rachel. excited to hear more about that org. interesting to think about why the "positive" hip hop is never promoted by big record labels. also, have you heard of Lady Sovereign? She seems to be pretty kick ass....
  • Posted Post DQs for Tuesday here! to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Thanks...
  • Commented on Sports affects on lower-classes
    Sean, Could you clarify whether you are doing the compare/contrast media texts or the media reform org option? I am not sure if this paper idea fits in either one--but perhaps I am misreading it. Let me know! M...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Melody

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page