Jamie Fogelberg

• Posted Last Blog Post to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I think a great example of convergence culture is the show, Tru Blood. Tru Blood is a popular HBO show that is based on a series of books by Charlaine Harris. I myself started out as a fan of the...
  • Commented on FINAL DQS FOR THE SEMESTER GO HERE.
    Is Janice Radway saying that if we didn't live in a patriarchal society and gender roles were different, women wouldn't need romance novels anymore? Since the article was written in the early eighties and the way women are living their...
  • Commented on Final Paper
    This is a cool topic. Maybe you could also compare old school hip hop compared to today's mainstream hip hop. For example, I think Run DMC's messages were alot different than today's artists. It would be interesting to explore why....
  • Posted My Final Paper Idea.. to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For my final paper, I have decided to go with option number one, compare and contrast. I have decided to compare the two women's websites Jezebel and Betty Confidential. These two websites are relatively new. Betty Confidential was established in...
  • Commented on Post DQs for this week here!
    I am a fan of the Daily show but doesn't it seem to be less effective culture jamming than culture jammers whose messages are serious?...
  • Commented on War Made easy response
    After 9/11 happened, I think it was easier than ever for the government to play on people's emotions. Since it was such an emotional time for the whole nation, it must have been really hard for people to take an...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Thursday here!
    I thought Steven Berlin Johnson's argument made more sense than Starr's. The newspaper's decline is happening for a reason. Since we are now a digital society, shouldn't the newspapers just try to adapt to it (and many are, I believe)...
  • Commented on Sports Blog Prompt
    I think it's unfortunate that coaches or team members can ruin the basic elements that make sports fun. I can understand how all of these unnecessary pressures can make someone want to quit their sport even though they love it....
  • Posted Blog 8: Sports to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I grew up in Wisconsin, so naturally I was raised as a Packer fan. I grew up also rooting for other Wisconsin teams such as the Badgers and Brewers. My favorite sport to watch is professional football. I didn't really...
  • Commented on Killing Us Softly: 4 Blog Response
    Danny, your post made me think about how models might feel about the way they are portayed in ads. I think they can probably make an argument for art. They can just call it artistic and use the excuse that...
  • Posted Blog Response: "Killing Us Softly" to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I thought the documentary, "Killing Us Softly," was very informative. I think it's interesting how skinny models are these days and how we as a society perpetuate this look over and over in all types of media. I think there...
  • Commented on Post Thursday DQs here!
    It was interesting to read "The Pornography of Everyday Life." I didn't realize how much advertising resembles pornography. Much of the content in the article focuses on our patriarchal and hegemonic society and how women are the ones being displayed...
  • Commented on Blog Prompt- Remy's Lecture
    I think by Chaz Bono being on Dancing with the Stars, he is helping to educate people about being transgender. Perhaps by seeing chaz every week people will start to focus on his dancing skills and not so much on...
  • Posted Blog Response 6: Remy's Visit to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I found Remy's visit to be very interesting. I think since you don't often see transgendered people in the media, and when you do they're often portrayed in smaller roles or the content is not meant to educate, it helps...
  • Commented on POST THURSDAY DQS HERE!!!
    It seems out of the three films Halberstam talks about, she feels "By Hook or by Crook" is the film with the best representation of the transgender gaze. Considering the reasons why she feels it is the best one, why...
  • Commented on Response to Blog Prompt for Research Paper
    I too wish that I would start my papers earlier. I feel they would be so much better because I would have time to go back and edit them. Also, I can see how CNN would be a good topic...
  • Posted Blog 5: My Paper to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For my research paper, I decided to research Seventeen magazine's website and how it reflects post-feminism ideals. I thought this would be an interesting research project because of the demographic that Seventeen is targeting. It has a fan-base that consists...
    This seems like such a complex issue! It seems like a damned if you do and damned if you don't type of thing. My mother is on disability because she has fibromyalgia. She is fairly young and would like to...
  • Commented on Blog #5
    I agree that our society is becoming desensitized to alot of things we see and hear in the media. I would imagine it's because their are so many ways to get and absorb media, and super convienent. It's like an...
  • Commented on BLOG PROMPT FOR THIS WEEK
    For my blog post this week, I would like to address the comment posted my fellow classmate, Kerri Stern. Kerri raises a couple of interesting questions in her comment. She wonders how the Alicia Keys video might have been...
    Would the author of the article about ugly Betty be doing an oppositional reading of the show? I could be wrong but I think Selma Hayek directed Ugly Betty. I wonder is she meant for Ugly Betty to be a...
  • Commented on The proletariat woman and the superwoman
    Yep Lisa, I agree that the representation of the "superwoman" doesn't always have to be the one that is portrayed on television. I think Roseanne's show was created by her to specifically dispell the classic "superwoman" image in the media....
  • Posted Blog Prompt Three to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I think hyper-masculinity is very much alive in the media, however, I have personally noticed a change in masculinity in young boys compared to older men. The older generation of men seems to exude more of the "tough guise" Marlboro...
  • Commented on POST THURS DQS HERE!
    From the readings, it seems like hegemony is the reason for depicting the middle class families as struggling and powerless, in a sense. How does this boost hegemony? Also, would Roseanne be considered a counter-hegemonic show because of her role...
  • Posted to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    In Susan J. Douglas's essay, "Girls Gone Anti-Feminist," she argues that post feminism is really a form of sexism being perpetuated by the media. She uses various television shows that feature strong women in powerful roles as an example. Her...
    I find it interesting how Ariel Levy mentions hippies in her article and how they are having trouble relating to this fairly new culture of mainstream "sexiness," which might be odd considering they might have started it, as Levy points...
  • Commented on Weekly Blog Response
    It was interesting for me to try to analyze The Blind Side because it was based on a true story. I wonder when movies are based on true stories, how much is influenced based on todays dominant ideals? I wonder...
  • Posted Blog Response 9/16 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Because of the volume of hegemonic media that is produced these days, I would have to say that I consume more hegemonic media. I have a few television shows that I watch pretty mindlessly. With these shows, I am shamefully...
    I found the topic of encoding and decoding to be a very dense and complex read. From what I understand, the intended message to be eventually decoded by the reciever is encoded at some point before being released. I wonder...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Jamie Fogelberg

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page