Michelle

• Commented on Last blog prompt
    That is how I am was with The Office. Everyone always talked about how hilarious the show was, and teachers would play clips for us in class. I finally caved and bought season one when is was on sale for...
  • Commented on FINAL DQS FOR THE SEMESTER GO HERE.
    It's interesting to me that these woman use the word escape. It seems like people use all sorts of media texts to escape the reality of their lives. In the article on page 47 it states " These few comments...
  • Commented on blog prompt catch up- my experience w/sports
    Its interesting that you made the comment about why you didn't try out for dance. I think popularity is what keeps kids out of sports or keeps them trying harder to be in it. Some feel they aren't good enough...
  • Posted Blog Prompt- Sports to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    My experience with sports has always been extremely positive. My Dad and his siblings were big into sports when they were in high school, so it is only natural that they would expose my cousins and I into this craziness....
  • Commented on Post DQs for Tuesday here!
    An interesting part of the reading was the identity or label section. It seems like in our culture you are identified by your label. So for this article to act like it is two separate things is kind of annoying....
  • Commented on blog post
    That sounds like a great topic. Girls these days need more positive influences around them.Its sad to see kids growing up thinking they need to be a certain person in order to be happy. We need more organizations to show...
  • Posted Blog Prompt- Paper Topic to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    1. I am writing my paper on Cultural Jamming. Our discussion in class was interesting to me and I would like to take a closer look at how society can benefit from their distorted ads. 2. I'm going to focus...
  • Commented on Post DQs for this week here!
    As we saw in the documentary "War Made Easy", the media has a huge influences on how we perceive the government around us.In the article "Political Culture Jamming" the author stated the Americans have turned to shows like The Daily...
  • Commented on War Made easy response
    I agree with both of you. I think the way the government used the media to make us think this was good idea is sickening. I also think it is a joke that reporters who tried to see both sides...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Thursday here!
    I agree newspapers are on a huge decline. It is problematic to society because newspapers seem to be a more trusted source than the news we see on TV. Do you feel the quality of journalism is also continuing to...
  • Commented on Sports Blog
    I agree with you regarding soccer being called a "faggy" sport. My son really wanted to play soccer and when I signed him up, his Dad told me I should have signed him up for a more "manly" sport. Manly?...
    I didn't really get the point of the "Pornographic Eroticism and Sexual Grotesquerie" article. It wasn't very clear. There was one point in the reading when they said "men's tennis tends to focus on tennis". So are they saying the...
  • Commented on
    I think people have self confidence issues because of what they see in the media. Look at young kids who have not been exposed to the media (besides kids shows). They are happy and living their lives like nothing could...
  • Posted Blog Prompt- Killing Us Softly to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Jean Kilbourne's "Killing Us Softly" documentary was very interesting to me. She brought to light a lot of important issues regarding female images in the media. At the start of the documentary Kilbourne showed ad's that were in magazines a...
  • Commented on Post Tuesday DQs here
    Dworkin's article was extremely problematic to me. I didn't realize the word Pornography means "writing about whores". I understand porn may not be for everyone however, I don't think it is fair that if a woman wants to express herself...
  • Commented on NO BLOG PROMPT THIS WEEK
    Awesome! Thanks, Melody :)...
  • Commented on Remi Blog Response
    I agree with you. The reading did sort of assume that we all knew those terms and didn't bother to expand on that much. Remy's talk was extremely helpful in tieing all those terms together, especially when he drew the...
  • Posted Blog Prompt- Remy's Lecture to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I really enjoyed Remy's talk. I think it's always refreshing for a class to have someone come in and speak on a topic we are learning about. I did want to ask Remy a question that I felt was kind...
  • Commented on Feminism and Sex and the City
    I agree that when we are focusing on a topic for our papers, it is a good idea to re-read the matieral. It will give you a better understanding and possibly new ideas you can bring into the paper. When...
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    I have a problem with a statement that was made in "Educating The Simpsons" It said, "Homer was not only surprized by the muscular men's queerness....". Why do people think gay people need to be categorized in a certain way?...
  • Posted Blog Prompt- Section Two Papers to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I wrote my paper on Masculinity. At the time I was thinking of examples for this paper, I was also talking about The Sopranos in one of my other classes. I thought Tony Soprano's character touched on a lot of...
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    In the SVU article they talk about how the characters do a lot to support programs that are against rape. They try and put a more positive spin on a show that deals with one crime after another. My question...
  • Commented on blog post
    I agree with kocou017. It seems like there is always one person who will play the discrimination card to get what they want. I don't feel like it's an issue that will ever go away. We all need to work...
  • Posted Blog Prompt- Answering a classmates question to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Part One: Why must we refer to race when decisions are made that matter most to us? To answer your first question, I don't think we always blame race when a certain situation doesn't go our way. I do think...
  • Commented on Week four blog prompt response
    I completely agree with you. We are sending a bad message to all the little boys out there who think they have to grow up and be tough. As a woman, I like to see a man who is sensitive...
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    Last week Jackson Katz talked about African American men using a tough guy image as a way of defending themselves and earning respect from those around them. What was interesting to me about “There Are Bitches and Hoes” is they...
  • Posted Blog Prompt- Jackson Katz Video to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Why do men of color try to uphold the "tough guise" performance? This question was interesting to me because society tends to look at men of color as threating when they see them walking down the street "posing" as Jackson...
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    When I was reading the article by Jackson Katz, it kind of made me upset. It seemed like he was blaming all media for the violent behaviors of men. Never once did he talk about people talking responsibility for their...
  • Commented on Blog Prompt -Anti-Feminist
    I agree with you and your group. I don't think the issue at hand is feminism, its sexism. Women have proven over time that we are capible of doing anything a man can do. Now it is time for people...
  • Posted Blog Prompt- Feminism to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I really enjoyed reading Susan Douglas's article "Girls Gone Anti-Feminist". Her main argument was women now think we no longer have to fight because we have conquered what we have worked so hard for. But hold on a minute, Susan...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Michelle

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page