taftx030

• Commented on Last Blog
    I agree with everything you're saying. It's really sad how the world of sports tends to take over our lives. A lot of times people are so consumed with it they don't even realize how into it they really are....
  • Posted Last Blog Entry to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    One huge cult following our society has faced in the last decade that holds a large amount of culture convergence in the Lord of the Rings trilogy films. These films have spawned a whole new culture and branch of business...
  • Commented on FINAL DQS FOR THE SEMESTER GO HERE.
    As I was reading through this article I found it rather interesting that the demographic for these romance novels are middle aged stay at home mothers. It seemingly fits with the question of why these particular women are reading these...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Tuesday here
    All of this extreme advertising to audiences is crazy to me. I've never been one to get super into following a certain show, but I can see how some people may develop an emotional tie to a show like American...
  • Commented on make up blog prompt- final paper
    Your topic sounds really interesting! I totally agree with you that rap music holds a bad image because of what is put on the radio and how the media represents it. I'm curious to see how you are going to...
  • Posted Blog Makeup to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Sorry this is late. I wasn't expecting to not have internet access in Chicago this weekend. I'm making up the article we read towards the beginning of the semester; Girls Gone Anti-Feminist by Susan J. Douglas. After reading through her...
  • Commented on Blog Post Final Paper
    This sounds like a really interesting topic. I love that you chose to analyze Toy Story because I feel like it's one of the largest series of children's movies to "hide" adult humor in their movies. It would be interesting...
  • Posted blog post to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For my final paper I am writing it on option two. I will be focusing on a great organization called About-Face. It's an organization based out of California that "promotes positive self-esteem in girls of all ages, sizes, races and...
  • Commented on Post DQs for this week here!
    I feel like the author of Political Culture Jamming is trying to portray culture jamming as a negative thing. If all Jon Stuart is doing on his show is trying to make light of negative political situations and present a...
  • Commented on War Made easy response
    I agree with your statement. I think it's horrible that our government is giving us such a skewed representation of the wars and disasters going on around the world. I'm on the same page as Michelle; I wonder how much...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Thursday here!
    To me it's no surprise that the newspaper is declining. With how big the internet has gotten over the past decade it's no wonder. There are many studies of how the internet is changing the way we consume information; we...
  • Commented on Response to Blog Prompt on Sports
    It's interesting to hear your take on things from a different country that is so much different from the U.S. With the way you describe how big of a deal football(soccer)is in Europe and Africa, it makes me wonder if...
  • Posted Blog Prompt to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Sports were a big part of my life growing up. My dad was and still is very much into sports. Like any child, they want approval from their parents so I thought the best way to do this was through...
  • Commented on Post your DQs for Thursday here
    I understand some of the author's arguments, but I don't think the athletes have that big of a problem with being "put on display" otherwise they wouldn't do it. If someone is applying to be a CEO of a company...
  • Commented on OH, LOLA! Marc Jacobs Perfume Ad
    You have some good points about the ad trying to sexualize Dakota but I read it in a slightly more innocent way. On the ad it says it's a "New Fragrance For Women", obviously Dakota is pretty young and in...
  • Posted Blog Entry Killing Us Softly to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    The documentary "Killing Us Softly" was a real eye opener to the realities of advertisements true intentions in the mass media. I definitely believe that the advancements in technology over the years has changed our perception of what beauty means...
  • Commented on Post Thursday DQs here!
    I agree with you that subtle forms of pornography have indeed become a part of our everyday lives. I also agree that our society is shifting, but it shouldn't be considered scary. In many European cultures and South American cultures...
  • Commented on Blog Prompt- Remy's Lecture
    That's so interesting that you can relate to Remy's situation! I don't personally know anybody who has ever gone through that transformation before. Me, and I think a lot of other people in our class are pretty misinformed on this...
  • Posted Blog Entry Remy's Lecture to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Remy's talk in class today was so interesting! I'm so glad he was able to come and speak to us because I learned so much that I had no clue about before. I really liked how at the beginning of...
  • Commented on POST THURSDAY DQS HERE!!!
    I think these films reinforce our ideological ideas about the male and female gaze. Do you think it reinforces and promotes the adequacy of the transgender gaze? Why or Why not?...
  • Commented on Using the term "rape" to describe something that is not rape
    I’m totally against using these types of words to describe or exaggerate something. People who use the word rape out of context most likely do not know anyone who has been a victim of sexual violence. I happen to have...
  • Posted Blog Entry to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I decided to write my section 2 paper on hyper masculinity within the African American community. Specifically hyper masculinity within major rap stars and how these images of them portrayed in the media affect our perceptions of how African American...
    People with disabilities are often handed special treatment even when they don't necessarily want or need it. They just want to be treated the same as someone without a disability. In the article is says "Equality in this case arises...
    Question:The issues this articles raises include, why would a company invest its resources, time, and money, to someone less qualified to look good on paper? Another, why would a supervisor end up offering a job to both? You'd be restructuring...
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    Major rap artists like Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg use the terms bitches and hoes very loosely in their lyrics. Rose states that these men do not have the right to use these terms because they are no longer surrounded by...
  • Posted Men of Color Tough Guise to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Why do men of color try to uphold the tough guise performance? This question really stuck out to me because in my opinion, out of all races I feel the tough guise influences men of color the most. Even though...
  • Commented on POST THURS DQS HERE!
    I find complete validity in what you are saying about how males are always portrayed as the "bufoons" and not the women. It would be very controversial if television producers were to make the female of the household the dumb...
  • Commented on POST THURS DQS HERE!
    Are these shows portraying white middle class males as "bufoons" for us as viewers to find commonground with, or more for our own entertainment?...
  • Commented on Rap songs that aren't degrading
    There is unfortunately such a negative generalization on rap music these days. Some of these rappers are actually quite great poets. Not saying Lil' Wayne isn't degrading to women in his songs but in his song "How to Love" he...
    Since the way we consume media has changed so drastically over the past 25 years, how has encoding and decoding evolved within the mass media corporations? Is it harder for audiences to decipher media's coding or for media corporations to...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from taftx030

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page