xiong891

• Commented on Fantasy Sports Culture Convergence
    I think you have a great analysis on Fantasy Football as an example of culture convergence. My family is really big on fantasy football, they all could fit into being a zapper, casual or loyal fan. Do they actual teams...
  • Posted 96.3 NOW Convergence and Fan Culture to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Convergence culture and fan culture has really made a big impact on different media texts over the last decade. The idea of having fans control what's on these media texts brings a whole new criteria and resource. As mentioned in...
  • Commented on FINAL DQS FOR THE SEMESTER GO HERE.
    I thought the first article about romance books was very interesting. It is dated with interviews from the 80's so I wonder if romance novels still have the same affect on women today? Also, how did these book affect women?...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Tuesday here
    This article really made viewers of American Idol to be cult-like; at least in regards to the first couple of seasons. I found it interesting how these big companies are using emotions as a commodity and unlimited resource. They could...
  • Commented on Final paper blog response
    Hello About-Face.org sounds like an amazing website. Is there a certain amount of letters of opposition a certain ad needs to get before it is taken down? I agree that the Killing Us Softly video really got on a personal...
  • Posted Final paper ideas to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For my final paper, I will choose to write about the advice columns on TheHairpin.com and other various advice columns vs. the advice columns in Glamour/Cosmopolitan magazines. I will be focusing on hegemony and possibly enlightened sexism in the Glamour...
  • Commented on Response to War Made Easy
    This is a really good analysis on the Propaganda Model and War Made Easy. You have good examples from WME to support the Propaganda Model. It is definite that money makes the world, and news, go around. It brings up...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Thursday here!
    I think the decline in newspaper readership is an issue but it doesn't mean that the world is a corrupt place and people as less knowledgeable now. What other reasons could be the cause of declined readership? Could it be...
  • Commented on Sports Blog Prompt
    I agree with your argument on powderpuff practices were looked at as a joke. I felt that powderpuff games was just another area where guys (powderpuff coaches) could "own"/ have authority, and compete with other guys as to which team...
  • Posted Cute enough for sports? to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I know it might be hard to believe, but I played in a Hmong woman's flag football league for four years. Since I was fifteen starting high school and until I graduated high school. I was a shut-down corner-back (or...
  • Commented on Post your DQs for Thursday here
    What does Oates really want to do about this situation? I do kind of agree that he's just giving an oppositional reading to this, but what's his initial goal? Is he trying to get rid of the draft all together...
  • Commented on Killing Us Softly
    I agree with you on the images of female and males in advertising. However, it is so embedded in us to consume these images without a question. I don't even know what poses a man would be in other than...
  • Posted OH, LOLA! Marc Jacobs Perfume Ad to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    This isn't the ad I brought to class, but I've just came across this ad in a magazine. It is an ad for a Marc Jacobs perfume called "OH, LOLA!" The ad covers the whole back page of a Glamour...
  • Commented on Blog Prompt- Remy's Lecture
    You should have asked this question in class. It would have been great to discuss this. We know how the media portrays the image of gay/transgender, however we never know really of the family plays a role. Could there possibly...
  • Posted Transgender Blog 10/21 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    The guest lecturer, Remy, was very informational. He was very clear, relatable and a great speaker. It was great to interact with someone like Remy from the GLBTA community who is open and educated. I don't usually get to do...
  • Commented on POST THURSDAY DQS HERE!!!
    I am just as confused as many of you about the definitions of some of the words used. It was also hard reading this because I had no background knowledge of the movies discussed in the article. One thing the...
  • Commented on Blog post #5
    I agree that it's hard to include everything you want in an analysis paper because there is so much that all connects with each idea. I found it very useful to brainstorm as much as you can before writing. Lists...
  • Posted Media Analysis Blog to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For the Section 2 Media Analysis paper, I chose to analyze representations of feminism through an unlikely text. The media text I used were two specific songs by an up-coming rap artist, Wale (Wah-lay): "The Ambitious Girl," and "Ambitious Girl...
    I'm not to knowledgeable about the issue with disabilities, so this article was interesting to read. I found it interesting that the Americans with Disabilities Act has only recently took effect in 1992. If the Senate debate wasn't so emotional...
    The article, "What does race have to do with Ugly Betty?" brings up a lot of good points about how the country is not post-racial just because Obama is the president. One of the main ideas evaluated in this article...
  • Commented on Roseanne and the working-class
    Your analysis of Roseanne is very thorough. You have very strong quotes to support it. Roseanne does depict real life scenarios and as her fans would say she has really funny quick remarks that they wished they could think quick...
  • Posted A Tough Guy's Tough Guise to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    WHAT IS "TOUGH GUISE"? AND WHY DO MEN CONTINUE TO UPHOLD THE "TOUGH GUISE" PERFORMANCE? A "tough guise" is a front that men put on through violence. Men put on these shows of being such a tough guy. As Katz...
  • Commented on Response to Blog Prompt
    You have a very great analysis on Susan Douglas' article. I agree that her argument would have been stronger if she had included other varieties of media in stead of television. Fashion and magazines play a big role in consumerism...
  • Posted Feminist Blog to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    In Marlo David Azikwe's "More Than Baby Mama's," she argues that women in Hip Hop do not bring enough attention to Black mothers in today's society. They are embracing their sexuality along with their lyrical abilities and using it to...
    In Levy's "Raunch Culture," she points out that a woman can still be successful, sexy and make a statement without having to pose for Playboy Magazine or exposing her physical features outside of her context. How do you think a...
  • Commented on Blog Entry
    I am also an avid reader of Cosmo magazine. I do agree that much of their content is a bunch of crap. They just need to fill up space. But I would have to say that I have found some...
  • Posted Hegemony Blog to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I am a very busy college student so I do not get to watch T.V. too often or listen to the radio, etc. But I do like to keep up with latest news, fashion, celebrity gossip, etc. So, when I...
    How could "perfectly transparent communication" ever be achieved? Is that what we as an audience/the receivers want? Do we want non-hegemonic news and media? How would we want our media to be effectively communicated to us?...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from xiong891

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page