glen0041

• Posted Societal Outcasts to Section 25 Psych 1001
    In our discussion group, we talked about why people are willing to bring over soup when friends aren't feeling well or drop off books when a family member is recovering from a broken leg but tend to avoid people when...
  • Posted Are You a Risk Taker? to Section 25 Psych 1001
    The article Addictive Personality? You Might be a Leader talks about common characteristics found among great leaders; intelligence, creativity and the drive to succeed. These are characteristics many people would claim to have, so what is it that keeps people...
  • Posted How many of you are part of online dating? to Section 25 Psych 1001
    In our book and during last week's discussion group we talked about the three major principles that guide attraction and relationships: similarity, proximity & reciprocity. My first reaction was that these principles seem a little outdated; can these principles hold...
  • Posted Who is the rat? to Section 25 Psych 1001
    Sleep is a common topic of discussion in my house. The common theme: how can we get our 9 month old son to sleep through the night? As I was reading about operant conditioning and Skinner's ideas on reinforcement I...
  • Posted How to Teach Our Children? to Section 25 Psych 1001
    The article Can the Right Kinds of Play Teach Self-Control? discusses the idea and rationale behind constructive play and how increasing a child's executive thinking it more critical than academic learning in pre-k & kindergarten aged children. Research is being...
  • Commented on If "we can't keep guns from terrorists", it's because liberal columnists suck at science (and arithmetic)
    I think politics in general are littered with cognitive biases but the problem is only compounded when you add those of the media. In this case two negatives do not make a positive so reader/listener beware; proceed with skepticism....
  • Commented on Can Dogs Shed Some Light on Nature vs. Nurture?
    Interesting study on the fox and the change in the phenotype; seems like a good causation vs. correlation question....
  • Posted Is your brain full? to Section 25 Psych 1001
    Neural plasticity is the nervous system's ability to change. These changes can be genetic or as result of our education, upbringing or because of injury or illness. Our nervous system is continuously evolving; the brain of a child develops exponentially...
  • Posted Brain Preferences to Section 25 Psych 1001
    I recently was asked to take the Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument (HBDI) for work. This is an assessment tool used to identify your learning and thinking preferences. The idea is that a person's brain is divided into four quadrants and...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from glen0041