xiong872

• Commented on Convergence DQ
    Since 2006, systems such as the XBOX and Playstation are way more advanced than they used to be. They can now play dvds, bluray dvds, and stream movies from netflix. You can surf the internet on them and even store...
  • Commented on iCulture DQ
    I think you pose an interesting question and my opinion would be that surveillance will continue to grow whether we like it or not. We've all got the similar mindset that Andrejivic speaks of, the "I'm not doing anything wrong...
  • Commented on Mirani/Gladwell Discussion Question
    I think you bring up a very good point. I know that I've read numerous articles and blurbs on social media sites that made me feel very empowered. Then I refresh the page and look at the new news on...
  • Commented on gladwell DQ
    I agree with Tarynn and think that social media does truly have an effect over social change. As long as the people who are going to become completely engaged in the social change are fully aware of what they're doing,...
  • Commented on Blog- Oates
    I definitely agree with you in terms of disagreeing with Oates' arguments. These players have spent their whole lives practicing, "building their resumes," and training to do get paid to do something that they love. They should be viewed the...
  • Posted Oates Blog Post to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    For the last blog post I'm going to be talking about the Oates article again. After discussing it in class, I still kind of disagree with Oates a little. The quote that Oates pulls from an NFL General Manager, "If...
  • Posted Erotic Gaze in the NFL Draft DQ to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    I found this week's article to be very interesting. I enjoy playing football but have never followed it to the extent described in T. P. Oates' article. The draft process where the players undress and are weighed and measured really...
  • Posted Gladwell Blog Post to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    I found Malcolm Gladwell's "Small Change" article to be very interesting due to the fact that he doesn't fully jump onto the Twitter/Facebook activism train. Gladwell speaks about Sameer Bhatia, who found a bone marrow donor, through Facebook and Twitter....
  • Posted Sender DQ to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In Katherine Sender's article "Dualcasting: Bravo's Gay Programming and the Quest for Women Audiences" she talks about Bravo's focus on the women demographic. I thought that this was very interesting because I have friends who I've had say they'd like...
  • Posted Andrejivic Blog Post to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In Andrejivic's article "Three Dimensions of iCulture" the author focuses on iCommerce, iCulture, iMonitoring, and iPolitics. Of the 4, I found iCommerce to be the most fascinating. I have also ordered shoes from Nike iD with my name on them....
  • Posted Jenkins DQ to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In Jenkin's Article, Jenkin stresses the convergence of media and what it has done. Jenkin defines convergence as a flow of content across multiple media platforms/industries and the migratory behavior of media audiences who will make the effort to look...
  • Posted Bilge Yesil Blog Post to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    "Watching Ourselves" by Bilge Yesil is a very interesting article on videos surveillance and the potential affects on those being watched. With cameras around almost everywhere now, it made me think of myself and how safe I felt in those...
  • Posted Eat, Pray, Spend DQ to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    The article by Joshunda was one that I thought was very interesting. I could definitely see the side she is taking with consumerism associated with wellness. But a question I had throughout the article was if someone could afford to...
  • Posted Sender and Sullivan Blog to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    I have never seen either The Biggest Loser or What Not to Wear before but have a general idea of what they are about. On p.366 Gabby's response to The Biggest Loser is that she found it disgusting and did...
  • Posted Worlds Apart DQ to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    With shows like Worlds Apart, instead of advertising the dominance of the U.S. in other countries do these shows in turn advertise the U.S. for the "others" to come over? With the main demographic being middle to upper class America,...
  • Posted Blog post: Joyrich to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    The article by Joyrich pointed out that homosexual couples help to solidify the heterosexuals; couples in different TV shows or networks. When reading about this, I immediately thought about Modern Family. It is a show that has a gay couple...
  • Posted Becker DQ to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In the article, the idea of accepting homosexuality is explained as something that is "hip". Therefore it seems like some heterosexuals are accepting homosexuality because it is wrong not to but as stated in the article "many people still found...
  • Posted Blog Post - Advertising and the construction of Violent white Masculinity to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    The reading pointed out many interesting facts about advertising for men with the use of violence. In each case that was described in the reading such as the Camel advertisement using military symbolism or the Trojan condom advertisement with a...
  • Posted Sex and the City: Blog Post to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    As someone who doesn't watch Sex and the City, I assumed the show was all about the insights of women and their lives in New York City. However, after reading this article I learned that this show presented more complex...
  • Posted Butsch Blog Entry to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In Richard Butsch's "Ralph, Fred, Archie, and Homer" she talks about how the working class is minimally portrayed in sitcoms but when they are, the men/husbands are usually buffoons. These men are often described as "dumb, immature, irresponsible, or lacking...
  • Posted Blog Post: Eating the Other to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    I found Bell Hook's "Eating the Other" coinciding with my discussion question that I posted on Monday. Being someone who isn't white, I find myself with Hook at times and then disagreeing other times. Hook says that "mutual recognition of...
  • Posted DQ: What's Your Flava? to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In Sarah Banet-Weiser's "What's your flava? Race and post-feminism in media culture" she brings up some good ideas of racism and feminism through her media examples. But with the past few readings, has anyone asked if, in the examples used,...
  • Posted Blog Post: The Whites of Their Eyes to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In Stuart Halls "The Whites of Their Eyes" he talks about the 3 important things to say about ideologies. I liked this part a lot as it helped me understand the concept of ideology especially with the point number 3....
  • Posted DQ: Producing Identities to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In Lawrence Grossberg's Making Media chapter 8, Lawrence talks about how advertising is used to the point now where it not only captures the attention of an audience, but it deters other audiences. Lawrence gives the example of Beavis and...
  • Posted Blog Post: Hegemony or Concordance to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    Dana L. Cloud's article, "Hegemony or Concordance," was what I considered the most interesting article we've read so far. Her argument of "Oprah" as a token was one that I've never even considered before. Using this image of "Oprah" to...
  • Posted DQ: Encoding/Decoding to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In Stuart Hall's essay, "Encoding/Decoding", he brought up the idea that though the encoder may want the decoder to feel a certain way, that it isn't always the case. Hall says that "This implies that, for example, the sender of...
  • Posted DQ: Harry Potter and the Commodity Fetish to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    IN J. Waetjen's and T. A. Gibson's "Harry Potter and the Commodity Fetish: Activating Corporate Readings in the Journey from Text to Commercial Intertext" one of the points they bring up is that of Harry Potter and the Critique of...
  • Posted Carr and Shirky to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    Nicholas Carr's "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" and Clay Shirky's "Why Abundance is Good: A reply to Nick Carr" were both very fascinating articles. Carr brings up an argument that I think a lot of people have noticed but did...
  • Posted The Struggle Over Media Literacy to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In Lewis and Jhally's "The Struggle Over Media Literacy" the authors try to open the minds of students to challenging the media in their every day lives. Most students, having been in classes that teach them to challenge and critique...
  • Posted DQ 1: Elbow & Berube to Media Literacy Spring 2014
    In Peter Elbow's "The Believing Game and How to Make Conflicting Opinions More Fruitful," Elbow focuses on our experience with what we call "critical thinking." We have been taught to challenge other's ideas and to make them change their views,...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from xiong872